Wiring Rigid dually or D2xl lights to factory fog light switch?

jeeper52

LOSER
Im looking into buying a set of dually's or maybe the d2xl's to mount on my front bumper and using the factory fog light switch to power them. Can this be done? Does the factory switch provide enough power for these lights?

Ddays

Hooked
I have a set of JW Speaker fogs hooked up to my factory switch and have had zero issues. The LED's draw less than the factory lights do.

BBrown626

Im looking into buying a set of dually's or maybe the d2xl's to mount on my front bumper and using the factory fog light switch to power them. Can this be done? Does the factory switch provide enough power for these lights?

Try it. If it doesn't work then use the factory setup to power a relay that switches power run from the battery to your new lights. The relay should require very little power to actuate. The circuit should look something like this diagram. Instead of tapping into the high beams, tap into the factory fog light circuit.
Driving+Lights+High.jpg

Good luck.

wackamole

I replaced my factory fogs with BD Squadron Pros.. pretty simple, just hardwire it in and you're good to go.. I'd just recommend looking into something to stop the flicker. The only thing I'm not too keen on is that when you do it, those dually's act like the regular fogs and will shut off when you hit the high beams. I'm sure you can bypass it, but I didn't care at the time of install.

jeeper52

LOSER
I replaced my factory fogs with BD Squadron Pros.. pretty simple, just hardwire it in and you're good to go.. I'd just recommend looking into something to stop the flicker. The only thing I'm not too keen on is that when you do it, those dually's act like the regular fogs and will shut off when you hit the high beams. I'm sure you can bypass it, but I didn't care at the time of install.

Crap, i didn't even think of them turning off when i hit the high beams. Any ideas on how to bypass that?

Jk909

Check out Frank's build thread. He wired some cheap $20 led cubes from Amazon and it came out great. I don't think he has had any issues with flickering

Ddays

Hooked
All I did with my JW's was cut the factory plug end off and splice the end connector that came with the lights. Zero flicker.
Might want to try it first before you go to the trouble of wiring in the relays

Havoc40

All I did with my JW's was cut the factory plug end off and splice the end connector that came with the lights. Zero flicker.
Might want to try it first before you go to the trouble of wiring in the relays

If they were the 6145 J-series, they're made to be spliced in and not flicker. They're also only drawing 1.6A. I'm running these as well.

For the Rigid XL's I'd definitely run them off a relay. They draw about 3.5A each, which is more than I'd want to pull across the factory switch contacts.

TheFett

I bought the kit from rigid to mount my duallys in the place of my factory fogs. Wired right up the mounts worked great and have had no issues with flicker or anything! I don't have them hooked up anymore or I should say just yet since I changed my bumper back to full width bumper, but I'll be hooking them up again soon the same as I did before. No issues, no flicker, no relay in between, just pull the factory switch out like before and boom LED Rigid Duallys lit right up each and every time without flicker.

sjd78

I wired a set of Rigid D2's to the factory fog light switch and they flickered. No problem I thought...ill just wire in the Rigid harness with relay and use the factory fog light switch to trigger the relay. Still flickered. I called Rigid and they suggested using anti flicker harnesses wired directly before each light. Finally the flickering went away.

Top Bottom