Wire cube lights to Gobi stealth rack

GraniteCrystal

Got four 4" flood cubes that I'd like to mount to the Gobi stealth rack on my JKUR. They'll be auxiliary lighting to the left and right of the vehicle. Any ideas on mounting? How to run wire thru rack tubing? Wiring I'll need? I think they just have leads coming out of lights. Never done lighting before.

Last edited:

Spencer11496

How do you want to turn them on? Each on an independent switch? A switch that turns on each side? All turn on at once? Do you want to be able to turn them on with the vehicle off? Or only with ignition power like the radio? Do you want to have a switch with an LED in it? There are tons of options. As for running the wiring I would think that an undone wire coat hanger would work well for fishing the wires through the rack.

GraniteCrystal

How do you want to turn them on? Each on an independent switch? A switch that turns on each side? All turn on at once? Do you want to be able to turn them on with the vehicle off? Or only with ignition power like the radio? Do you want to have a switch with an LED in it? There are tons of options. As for running the wiring I would think that an undone wire coat hanger would work well for fishing the wires through the rack.

Good questions!

Each light on/off independently. On switches on the console (maybe a Daystar panel?). Be able to turn on even without keys in ignition.

Spencer11496

Okay so that makes the process easy, just time consuming. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451264476.122191.jpg that diagram is really helpful and you'll just repeat the process for each light. You can hook up two lights to a single relay of you want to.

GraniteCrystal

Okay so that makes the process easy, just time consuming. that diagram is really helpful and you'll just repeat the process for each light. You can hook up two lights to a single relay of you want to.

So I can disregard the LED bar part of it yeah? Or is that just to represent a 2nd LED?

Seems overly complicated. If I want power independent of ignition, can't I just wire it to the battery with the switch and fuse inline? Trying to understand. Appreciate the help.

Spencer11496

So I can disregard the LED bar part of it yeah? Or is that just to represent a 2nd LED?

Seems overly complicated. If I want power independent of ignition, can't I just wire it to the battery with the switch and fuse inline? Trying to understand. Appreciate the help.

The relay is a safeguard for your lights and wiring. While the cubes aren't really high power lights, I still recommend protecting everything and using a relay. A relay is a switch that requires a very minimal amount of power that then flips another "switch" to allow a lot of power to go to the lights.

So your in cab switch gets a small amount of power from the battery that is then used to activate the relay. The relay gets power from the battery and when it is activated it sends that power to the lights. A small in cab switch cannot handle a lot of power and will short out and not work well.
I suppose you're essentially wiring two switches.

Referring to the diagram the light bar represents your cube. So you will have your daystar switch grounded, wired to the battery, and wired to the relay. The relay will be grounded, attached to the daystar switch, wired to the battery, and wired to the cube. The light bar will have to positive wire wired to the relay and the ground also wired to the relay.

I hope this makes sense

GraniteCrystal

The relay is a safeguard for your lights and wiring. While the cubes aren't really high power lights, I still recommend protecting everything and using a relay. A relay is a switch that requires a very minimal amount of power that then flips another "switch" to allow a lot of power to go to the lights.

So your in cab switch gets a small amount of power from the battery that is then used to activate the relay. The relay gets power from the battery and when it is activated it sends that power to the lights. A small in cab switch cannot handle a lot of power and will short out and not work well.
I suppose you're essentially wiring two switches.

Referring to the diagram the light bar represents your cube. So you will have your daystar switch grounded, wired to the battery, and wired to the relay. The relay will be grounded, attached to the daystar switch, wired to the battery, and wired to the cube. The light bar will have to positive wire wired to the relay and the ground also wired to the relay.

I hope this makes sense

Gotcha. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

Top Bottom