Jeep grille help

reelsilly

I currently have an "angry bird" grille on my jeep. I thought I would like it more but I'm not digging it very much now. Here is my question for y'all.

I have the stock grille still, and it is factory painted silver. I want the grille flat black. What suggestions would y'all have to painting it? I don't want to screw it up, but I would like to do it myself.

Would I use a fine grit sandpaper to "rough up" the factory clear coat and use a plastic paint or what? I'm worried about stripper chemicals as we all know the grille is plastic.

Suggestions?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I would scuff it with a Scotch Brite or fine sand paper. Then clean it to remove all grease/oils. Then I would hit it with some matte or flat spray paint. I don't recommend plasti dip because the upkeep sucks. But if you don't want it to be permanent then do plasti dip and deal with it when it peals.

reelsilly

I would think permanent would be much better as the grille gets beat with bugs. Around NC our skeeters are the size of small pigeons lol. Really though, cleaning the bugs would probably peel plastic dip quickly. I think they make a paint designed for plastic but is not a plasti dip or acrylic style paint.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I've seen molded plastic grille covers available in different colors/patterns. They use double-sided tape to adhere to the OEM grille. Passerby would not know anything different. That's an option. Cannot remember which site I saw them on though; think it was Extreme Terrain.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have had my grill plasti dipped for almost 3 years now. It's great! Yes it can peel away with heavy scrubbing or pressure washer use but it's super simple to touch up. Also if you ever want to redo it for a fresh look it easily peels away so you can redo it or for if you get rid of your jeep and the next owner doesn't want a black grill
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451230663.029372.jpg .

JK LYF

I have had my grill plasti dipped for almost 3 years now. It's great! Yes it can peel away with heavy scrubbing or pressure washer use but it's super simple to touch up. Also if you ever want to redo it for a fresh look it easily peels away so you can redo it or for if you get rid of your jeep and the next owner doesn't want a black grill
View attachment 179695 .

Coz, you have one of the best looking two doors on the forum!

JK LYF

Yup!...and you too! I'm thinking I am going 35's Dawg!

Sorry back on topic. Scuff like suggested then seal and paint.

Thanks catahoula! And yes back on topic. I originally plasti dipped my grill flat black. Nothing to it. Clean it and spray about 5 thin coats of plasti dip (with the grill removed). You can peel it off, paint it another color or simply touch it up. For whatever reason though, I never liked the plasti dip. So, I removed it, used a fine grit sand paper, roughed up the grill a little, cleaned it well, and sprayed it with about 5 thin coats of Rustoleum Bedliner. Came out really good. Touch up is easy.

reelsilly

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have no idea which way I will go yet. I like both methods so I guess it depends now on which one will hold up better to our weather and bugs. Cost is not an obstacle on this.

Hobolobo

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have no idea which way I will go yet. I like both methods so I guess it depends now on which one will hold up better to our weather and bugs. Cost is not an obstacle on this.

I used plasti dip on mine and if you put a few coats of glossifier on it, that will stop the fading. That being said, after the first round chipped a little, I used an acrylic enamel spray paint and its very durable, but permanent.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451307688.345671.jpg
Best pic I have of it on my phone.

dillard09

Plastic dip is the way to go. Spray it on and then you can just peel it off. Plus there is all kinds of colors if you want. I've done the grill on my JK and I did the wheels on my YJs Spyderlocks and they both held up great to car washes and what nots.

Hutch64

I wrapped my hood and the good thing about that, if you ever want it back to factory you just have to peel it off. So far had the hood done 3 years ago and holding up fine and I don't baby my jeep.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Plastidip is great IMHO. Gives the look you want, is completely removable, protects the paint, and if necessary, can be EASILY touched up.

My last rig
9372468303_34256bc5a9_b.jpg

My current rig (covered in dust from a 2000 mile trip)
16375398800_abbbba5459_b.jpg

Put it through lovebugs, sleet, rock, salt, calcium chloride, etc, never had a single issue and was great until the day I took it off my last right and traded it in for the second one, paint underneath was flawless. Good luck.

Top Bottom