Wiring LEDs to HiBeams

Spencer11496

So I got a 20" light bar for Christmas and, being the complicated person I am, I want to wire it in a cool way.

My idea is to have it setup where I can use a simple on/off toggle switch to turn on the light bar and also have it where it will turn on with my brights when the toggle switch is in the off position.

After searching through some articles and schematics my understanding is that I can just get a normal relay with the 87/86/85/30 poles and hookup like normal:

30-12V
85-Earth
87-Positive light bar lead
86-switch

and then tap into the hi-beam wire and run another fused line into the 86 pole on the relay.

So will this work? Is it a good idea? Will my jeep burst into flames?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why would you need a light bar and high beams? I have my light bar hooked into the high beams but have never thought I needed more when it's on.

Spencer11496

Why would you need a light bar and high beams? I have my light bar hooked into the high beams but have never thought I needed more when it's on.

It's more for convenience for when I'm riding down country back roads. Right now with my two KC lights (that I'm disappointed with) I have to turn off my brights and then reach over and flip a switch to turn it all off when there is an oncoming car. My lazy self just wants to turn on my brights and have everything come on, then turn off my brights and everything goes off when car is approaching.

Ddays

Hooked
Throw a set of Trucklites or JW Speaker headlights on and you won't need aux lights. I had a lightbar
On mine but look it off cause the LED's are so friggin bright

Spencer11496

Throw a set of Trucklites or JW Speaker headlights on and you won't need aux lights. I had a lightbar
On mine but look it off cause the LED's are so friggin bright

Yea that's the plan but I already have the light bar that was only $45

Tree Frog

The way I wired mine was to have it on a switch with the relay triggered by the high beams.
This way you can use your high beams as normal and then turn on the switch, so that when you hit your bright's you get an extra blast of light.

I love it for those ass wipes that cant seem to find their dimmer switch. Just don't get caught, been told the man don't like it.

Spencer11496

The way I wired mine was to have it on a switch with the relay triggered by the high beams.
This way you can use your high beams as normal and then turn on the switch, so that when you hit your bright's you get an extra blast of light.

I love it for those ass wipes that cant seem to find their dimmer switch. Just don't get caught, been told the man don't like it.

Yea the main reason I want to wire mine was this way was after an incident of not dimming my KC lights fast enough for the approaching cop. He had some choice words to say…

Top Bottom