ARB rear tyre carrier

Yeahright

Who has got one? I have heard some bad reports on the carrier rattling all the time, I would like to hear from all those with one to varify if this is true and if it is who has stopped the rattle and how.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who has got one? I have heard some bad reports on the carrier rattling all the time, I would like to hear from all those with one to varify if this is true and if it is who has stopped the rattle and how.

I've seen it in person and it looked solid but, it is possible. A lot of tire carriers tend to be noisy off road.

Yeahright

Eddie,
Thanks mate, I got the new rear bumper and I was worried because I have heard that it rattles a bit, and having never had a rear tyre carrier before, I just assumed that they did not rattle at all, so if it rattles a bit I guess that its not really worth worring about.
And a rattle from the carrier is easier to deal with than a bent door or cracked door hinges.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,
Thanks mate, I got the new rear bumper and I was worried because I have heard that it rattles a bit, and having never had a rear tyre carrier before, I just assumed that they did not rattle at all, so if it rattles a bit I guess that its not really worth worring about.
And a rattle from the carrier is easier to deal with than a bent door or cracked door hinges.

Well, there's rattling and then there's RATTLING. Push it hard enough and anything can rattle but a good tire carrier will take a lot more to get there. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with this tire carrier so I can't say for sure what the issue might be if there's any at all.

Yeahright

Well, there's rattling and then there's RATTLING. Push it hard enough and anything can rattle but a good tire carrier will take a lot more to get there. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with this tire carrier so I can't say for sure what the issue might be if there's any at all.

Eddie, no worries, the carrier is fairly new for Australia, so not many have them yet, looking at the way they mount up it look very much like the AEV carrier, I will have to look at it a bit more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, no worries, the carrier is fairly new for Australia, so not many have them yet, looking at the way they mount up it look very much like the AEV carrier, I will have to look at it a bit more.

It does. The only problem with both is that they are ultimately attached to the tailgate. For the most part, this is fine and will stay quite. However, with a big enough tire and enough bouncing around, the tailgate will move in and out due to the fact that the insulation surrounding the edge is pliable. This can cause hard top squeak and rattling but really, only under harder conditions.

Yeahright

It does. The only problem with both is that they are ultimately attached to the tailgate. For the most part, this is fine and will stay quite. However, with a big enough tire and enough bouncing around, the tailgate will move in and out due to the fact that the insulation surrounding the edge is pliable. This can cause hard top squeak and rattling but really, only under harder conditions.

Ive got a mate who has the AEV and he said it took a little while and a couple of adjustments to get the carrier to not rattle, but he said its goood now. ARB are a huge retailer here in Oz and Id like to think they build a quality product, in saying that I think this is their first tyre carrier that attaches to the door, so they may have teething probs. I dont push the car too hard purely due to the fact that im running 35s on a stock D30. But australian roads are known for thousands of kilometers of corrogations. I looked on the ARB USA site and they said the carrier is good for a 37 inch tyre, and the Australian site says its good for a 35. SO if its designed in the US and for a 37, it SHOULD handle a 35 no worries. If I decide to get the ARB it will be early in the new year. Ill keep ya posted.

rovingshoe

I have the ARB rear bumper and carrier on my JK Unlimited. I have a Duratrac 35" mounted on it. Initially it squeaked a lot, but found that I needed to do two things to stop it completely. It is quiet as a church mouse now. First, adjust the turnbuckle so that the carrier rubber bumpers are tight against the rear tailgate. Second, make sure you close the tailgate nice and hard. I push on the tire itself when I close the tailgate. That eliminated any noise so far. Overall I am very happy with the product. I did wish it had provisions to mount my Hi-Lift. I plan to weld up a solution myself sometime in the future.

Irishcoffee

I have the ARB rear bumper and carrier on my JK Unlimited. I have a Duratrac 35" mounted on it. Initially it squeaked a lot, but found that I needed to do two things to stop it completely. It is quiet as a church mouse now. First, adjust the turnbuckle so that the carrier rubber bumpers are tight against the rear tailgate. Second, make sure you close the tailgate nice and hard. I push on the tire itself when I close the tailgate. That eliminated any noise so far. Overall I am very happy with the product. I did wish it had provisions to mount my Hi-Lift. I plan to weld up a solution myself sometime in the future.

Beside the above mine is already rusting.
Paint snapped arround the carrier pinion and on the inside towards the tailgate.
Contacted Arb today!
I'll post the pics soon cause today I was realy to pissed of.
In Europe such a combo costs 1600 Euro, just do the math in USD. I've trusted ARB! Almost everything on my Jk is Arb but this was to much! :) AEV is better what you think? At least to try being optimistic!

Initially I would go Shrockworks but was discuraged by long terms in producing and unbelievable shipment cost to Europe. That's it!

LE: I have this Arb combo sine may 2012, never put larger tires then 33"; offroad the carrier is loud cause it's bumping up and down hence all settings are done by the book; never did extreme offroading or rock crawling; the bumper is another animal and it's realy tough and well designed; carrier instead is not ARB because lately I believe it's a mater of quality rather then engineering!
Client suport great, Marc Bowers Arb Usa Technical Supervisor & Warranty Manager Air Locker, Inc. great guy and replied all the time and guided me through, but this rusty business is unfortunately out of his powers so my case moved upwards!

Cheers
John

LE: as promised here in My Garage folder I've uploaded some pics right after install of the ARB combo and thereafter with the snapped paint issues -> 9 months of absolute normal usage :-(
attachment.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom