Hit bump in road cruise control deactivates.

ADee1

I took a ride yesterday in my 2016 Hard Rock, hit a bump in the road and the cruise control deactivates. Hit resume and it comes back on. I did some searching and it seems to be a normal safety measure. Is there an adjustment to make this thing a little less sensitive?

shortyokc

More than likely abs kicked it out sensing a slip indicated by wheel speed differential. Iv had this happen 2 times on bumpy roads

JoeB-JKURX

Might be ESC

More than likely abs kicked it out sensing a slip indicated by wheel speed differential. Iv had this happen 2 times on bumpy roads

I had this happen to me after I installed some Prosteer ball joints. They were still pretty stiff. I hit a concrete strip on an asphalt Interstate. The Jeep jumped a bit right and left. The ESC light came on and the Cruise disengaged (and like the OP, resume got it going again).

ADee1

No lights are coming on, it just reacts like it would if you hit the brake. Hitting resume gets it going again.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Yes, this is by design. Any abnormality should turn it off as if there was as problem you wouldn't want the car to continue on by itself. The only way to adjust it is to buy a CJ or something with less electronics :)

ADee1

I can live with it i'm happy there is nothing wrong. My reason for questioning it was there are some people reporting their cruise control doesn't do this, others saying it takes a major hole to set it off. I thought there was a way to make it a little less sensitive, by adjusting something. My g/f's 08 Liberty doesn't do it.

Bosunmate

Happens to me every time I drive down US highway 90 just south of Lafayette, La. Louisiana roads can be quite rough!

bonedaddy

Mine did it for the first time last week, I was like WTF!

I was actually going to start a thread about it, but alas you beat me to it... glad to see I'm not alone! :whew:

- Donnie

ADee1

I spoke with a buddy of mine this morning who is a very good mechanic. He suggested seeing if there is a way to adjust the switch that turns the brake lights on, making it travel a bit more to turn the brake lights on. He said it might be the brake pedal is bouncing a little on hard bumps deactivating it. It might be worth checking it out.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
No lights are coming on, it just reacts like it would if you hit the brake. Hitting resume gets it going again.

Both my 2013 2 door and my current 14 rig have both done this on occasion. No lights, just CC deactivated and I hit resume. It continued working fine like nothing happened. It has only happened when I hit a pretty hard bump though.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I spoke with a buddy of mine this morning who is a very good mechanic. He suggested seeing if there is a way to adjust the switch that turns the brake lights on, making it travel a bit more to turn the brake lights on. He said it might be the brake pedal is bouncing a little on hard bumps deactivating it. It might be worth checking it out.

This is defiantly not the issue here. The jeep is doing what it SHOULD do. You should ONLY adjust the brake light switch if your brake lights are not coming on under light braking conditions. Setting it up for additional peddle travel could lead to the brake lights not activating under normal stopping conditions. This is a VERY bad idea.

lil'wizzy

I have a 2015, going over the expansion joints it sometimes kicks me out of cruise because of traction control. I don't get any lights sometimes but that's the only thing I can really think of. Next to the break or clutch being loose.

Top Bottom