3.8 engine

Oleary_outdoor

Hey everyone
Ive been looking for a jku and been noticing the jku with the 3.8 is almost non existant for sale at the dealerships

Not sure about anyone elses locations but curious if anyone else notices this and why do yous think this is?

ChaosNein

Well, Chrysler stopped making the JK with the 3.8L motor in 2012 when they went to the 3.6L motor, so finding one at your local dealer will be tough.

jeeeep

Hooked
Why would you want that liberty pile of hot garbage anyway?

i wouldn't go so far as to call it hot garbage, definitely lacks on the power side but I'm pushing 125k miles and it hasn't given me any trouble.
I'd say the automatic transmission it's connected to is a hot pile but it hasn't given me any issues either.

JoeB-JKURX

Why is it a pile of hot garbage?

3.8 Engine of 2007-2011 JKs is heavy (cast iron block), pretty low on torque and horsepower, and have had a lot of problems with bearings and burning oil. Folks that have decent 3.8 engines not exhibiting major problems who want to wheel them hard usually end up with very high gear ratios in the diffs and/or a Rubicrawler (it they have auto trans) and/or a supercharger. Swapping in a 3.6 is so involved as to suggest selling the 2011 and earlier JK and buying a 2012 or later. Alternatively, swapping in a Hemi (pretty expensive) or an LS (expensive but less so than the Hemi) are options.

JK LYF

3.8 Engine of 2007-2011 JKs is heavy (cast iron block), pretty low on torque and horsepower, and have had a lot of problems with bearings and burning oil. Folks that have decent 3.8 engines not exhibiting major problems who want to wheel them hard usually end up with very high gear ratios in the diffs and/or a Rubicrawler (it they have auto trans) and/or a supercharger. Swapping in a 3.6 is so involved as to suggest selling the 2011 and earlier JK and buying a 2012 or later. Alternatively, swapping in a Hemi (pretty expensive) or an LS (expensive but less so than the Hemi) are options.

I understand this, and thank you for chiming in. And yes, many would probably agree the 3.8s should have been better (lighter, faster, more horsepower), but a pile of garbage? Not sure I'd go that far. But, maybe I haven't put enough stress on the engine to notice that my engine is garbage!

JTPhoto JK

The 3.8 is a solid engine. It's old school design and has been around a long time. It is tried and true. Designed actually to run 10w30 oil some do burn oil if you run 5w20.
With over 850,000 of theses engines in wranglers alone sine 2007 you are bound to have a few bad ones. Right now there is higher ratio of bad 3.6..
The problem with the 3.8 drivetrain is not engine torque and HP, it has plenty of that, it is the poor gearing both In the transmission and differential. Especially the A/T the OD is Very steep. Geared properly it goes like a scared rabbit. The the stock A/T on 32s should have come factory with 4.56 gears.

Don't believe me. Try a properly geared 3.8 if you get a chance.

To the OP. Evidently the folks in your area that have Wranglers with 3.8s are happy with them and don't want to sell.

Jitzoo

^ "Geared properly it goes like a scared
rabbit."

I run 5:13 (auto/35s) and
IMO it drives more like a carefree turtle...I guess it's all relative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom