Gobi roof mount antenna

GraniteCrystal

Got a CB radio for Christmas. Looks like the most common antenna solution is a 3' Firestik II mounted to the rear tire carrier. But, I have a Gobi Stealth rack I could make use of. Better to put a short 6" or 12" antenna mounted to roof rack in front? Anyone done this? How did you wire it into the cabin?

The longer your antenna the better. You need 1/4 the wave length for optimum antenna performance. This is true for any radio. for a CB I think its somewhere around 8 or 9 feet. that's why you see people with such long whips. Firesticks are shorter because they coil the wire around the stick. You could use the short antenna like you are talking about but your range and clarity would suffer greatly.

GraniteCrystal

The longer your antenna the better. You need 1/4 the wave length for optimum antenna performance. This is true for any radio. for a CB I think its somewhere around 8 or 9 feet. that's why you see people with such long whips. Firesticks are shorter because they coil the wire around the stick. You could use the short antenna like you are talking about but your range and clarity would suffer greatly.

So even if they both stick 6" above the roof, the longer one will be noticeably better? I know as a general rule, longer is better, but wasn't sure if that was more important than height above roof.

So even if they both stick 6" above the roof, the longer one will be noticeably better? I know as a general rule, longer is better, but wasn't sure if that was more important than height above roof.

yes it is the overall length that makes the difference. Height helps with reception but length is what really affects your transmission power.

Top Bottom