JK Manual - Clutch Housing Debris Plugs?

swampdog

From reading the forum and exploring the undercarriage of the jeep, it is clear that the issue with water / mud and the manual transmission are the openings at the bottom of the clutch housing. I know about starting the vehicle without the clutch if I ever got buried in the mud (don't plan on this happening).

My question is, does anyone make a removable plug that can be inserted when off-roading to help remedy this issue? The holes would seem to be there to help eject used clutch material, but a temporary plug would help solve this weak point of the manual, correct?

WJCO

Meme King
From reading the forum and exploring the undercarriage of the jeep, it is clear that the issue with water / mud and the manual transmission are the openings at the bottom of the clutch housing. I know about starting the vehicle without the clutch if I ever got buried in the mud (don't plan on this happening).

My question is, does anyone make a removable plug that can be inserted when off-roading to help remedy this issue? The holes would seem to be there to help eject used clutch material, but a temporary plug would help solve this weak point of the manual, correct?

Nope. The only issue I know of on the manual trans is a synchro issue. I believe Jeep even has an updated parts kit for the 1/2 synchro with sliders, gear assy, etc. What openings are you referring to? Any opening near the clutch area (bellhousing) would not allow water nor mud into the transmission at all in regards to where the gears and synchros are. And any mud/water getting into the bellhousing would drain right back out. Not sure if I'm missing something here, but the clutch area and the transmission gears themselves are in two different areas.

swampdog

I'm not concerned with the transmission as that is a sealed system. I will try to take a picture tomorrow to show the tow rectangular slots beneath the bell housing. The issue is mud / debris in the clutch causing failure.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not concerned with the transmission as that is a sealed system. I will try to take a picture tomorrow to show the tow rectangular slots beneath the bell housing. The issue is mud / debris in the clutch causing failure.

I guess that could happen, sure, but it would take a lot of mud to do that. But to the best of my knowledge, I don't know of any plugs that aren't factory myself.

WJCO

Meme King
This picture is very similar to the jk, it may even be a JK. Pulled it from google images

I found some pics on the web. I see what you're talking about. If you're really worried about it, I would fabricate some plugs or use some silicone before a mud run and then pull them out afterward. Also keep in mind that where your bellhousing meets your engine, there is no seal there either. Even though it appears flush, I'm sure dirty water could get in through there as well.

swampdog

I guess that could happen, sure, but it would take a lot of mud to do that. But to the best of my knowledge, I don't know of any plugs that aren't factory myself.

I agree. It would have to be buried over half the wheel to let mud in, but clutches have been apparently fried doing this.

If there isn't a product I wonder if there is a market for something like that. A simple flexible plug cut to the shape of the opening with a flange / lip on the outside to minimize intrusion.

swampdog

I found some pics on the web. I see what you're talking about. If you're really worried about it, I would fabricate some plugs or use some silicone before a mud run and then pull them out afterward. Also keep in mind that where your bellhousing meets your engine, there is no seal there either. Even though it appears flush, I'm sure dirty water could get in through there as well.

Very true. I guess the lesson is don't bury the rig if you are in a manual.

WJCO

Meme King
I agree. It would have to be buried over half the wheel to let mud in, but clutches have been apparently fried doing this.

If there isn't a product I wonder if there is a market for something like that. A simple flexible plug cut to the shape of the opening with a flange / lip on the outside to minimize intrusion.

Very true. I guess the lesson is don't bury the rig if you are in a manual.

I understand your concern. And if under warranty, you would hate to have the dealer tear it down and find the clutch covered in mud. I'll bet you could go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and get some kind of plaster mold kit and make your own. Hell, maybe you could sell them too.

Top Bottom