PDA

View Full Version : Would You Still Want a Jeep Wrangler Truck IF...

wayoflife
12-29-2015, 04:46 PM
So, I was looking at a poll that Allpar did a little over a week ago and in it, they asked almost 1,000 of the readers what vehicle from Chrysler they were most looking forward to seeing. And, I suppose it should be no surprise that a Jeep Wrangler based pick-up came out on top (but just by a hair over a new Chrysler minivan) but I'm wondering, would you still be interested in one IF it looked like what we're expecting to see with the all new JL Wrangler styling?

I took some liberties with Susan Rand's very nice rendering and modified it a bit so that I could give myself an idea of what a JL Wrangler pick-up could look like.

What do you think?

piginajeep
12-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Looks like the one sitting in my driveway.

I like it, but again it looks like the JK.

I would rather see a drastic change in the next model year jeep. Like the change we seen from TJ to JK.

shadowpaige64507
12-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Nope......

JeepJeep75
12-29-2015, 05:37 PM
It has a little too much front bumper... But then again, without the front bumper it looks just like our JK's so I agree with piginajeep. It needs more changing up.

NevadaZielmeister
12-29-2015, 05:59 PM
First off Eddy, I think you did a great job in your rendering of a rendering. However..

That looks just plain ugly. Reminds of the failed El Camino's of our time, something which the Australians continue to hold onto.

Besides, would the handling suffer on slick and snowy roads with the reduced weight in the back?

And from a customer's perspective, if I wanted a truck.. I would just buy a truck. Am I missing something here?

RoughRider
12-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Just not a big enough difference, if anything they should just say it's the 2018 JK...

I'm also with piginajeep I want to see a big change, not a few modifications

Irish JK
12-29-2015, 06:15 PM
I think doing the truck as a single row only is a mistake.

Sharkey
12-29-2015, 06:21 PM

Agreed.......

piginajeep
12-29-2015, 06:27 PM

The 4 door JK is the sweet spot for wheel base. Stretching the frame longer to accommodate 4 doors will make the Jeep truck a little long for trails.

If it remains the same length with 4 doors the bed will be useless. It's damn near useless on my JK8. Perhaps a little longer from to make crew cab like the Dakotas or Rangers had with jumper seats might fit the bill.

lidless07X
12-29-2015, 07:44 PM
If it has independant front suspension, you may as well buy a Colorado.

There is simply no market for a two seater pick up anymore. Maybe if they could make it a crew or extra cab with a somewhat decent sized bed, and a removable top ,it might sell.

MTG
12-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Pass.

I think I would rather have my first car back...a 1987 Honda Civic hatchback that was the same color as that abomination.

JAGS
12-29-2015, 08:16 PM
When I envision a truck I see an f150 or the like. I had an explorer sport trac several years ago...actually two, and enjoyed it. Never used it for trails or off-roading.

The rendering just doesn't do anything for me given I have a family of four. Maybe they would have an "unlimited" version with four doors or similar.

I'm still NOT digging the stamped doors or the stock front bumper. [emoji16]

ScoobyCarolanNC
12-29-2015, 08:25 PM
I like the side spare tire on the gladiator concept. Other than that it'll sell a ton for sure. Does Ram even make the Dakota anymore? If FCA positioned this as their "mini truck" it'd sell like hot cakes.

Irish JK
12-30-2015, 01:08 AM
The 4 door JK is the sweet spot for wheel base. Stretching the frame longer to accommodate 4 doors will make the Jeep truck a little long for trails.

If it remains the same length with 4 doors the bed will be useless. It's damn near useless on my JK8. Perhaps a little longer from to make crew cab like the Dakotas or Rangers had with jumper seats might fit the bill.

From a trails four-wheeling perspective yes, the current 4 door is about as long as you usually want. I'm speaking from a sales perspective, I see much potential for an AEV brute style truck to the mass market than the above single row concept.

Just look at the sales of 2 door JKs vs 4 doors.

piginajeep
12-30-2015, 02:59 AM
From a trails four-wheeling perspective yes, the current 4 door is about as long as you usually want. I'm speaking from a sales perspective, I see much potential for an AEV brute style truck to the mass market than the above single row concept.

Just look at the sales of 2 door JKs vs 4 doors.

I completely agree, but the price will be crazy high if you ask me. Enough that someone will consider a real truck and not a jeep truck.
But hell look what a new loaded 4 door costs..

crowrb29
12-30-2015, 03:06 AM
Agreed that if it was a full size it would just be too damn long to do most of the trail type activities. I could see it as like an extended camping type vehicle but there are already a lot of other offerings that fit that bill. Being that it's a wrangler based truck it probably won't have too impressive of a towing or payload capacity either so I'm not so sure it would be too successful. Kinda pigeonholed to uber enthusiasts, which still makes it a hard sell considering some of the other offerings...

AllAmericanInfidel
01-06-2016, 12:23 PM
I would consider a Jeep truck very seriously.... only if they made it a 4 door. I like the Brute, so if they could make something similar to that, Id be all for it. I realize the wheelbase would be too long for crawling, but for most trails and exploring I think it would be great. Plus a real truck bed. Otherwise, my current rig will be my last one.

krappy krawler
01-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Hideous, I never saw the point. Either drive a truck or the jk you seem to get the worst of both worlds with this. 2 seater, with no HP for hauling.

Brute
01-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Okay...I own a Brute, and love it; however, with 139" wheelbase to accommodate 4 doors and a 5' bed, it's too long for tight trails and the break over angle is not great for climbing rocks...where it excels is steep & long hill ascents & descents, and off camber situations. It is great for camping & overlanding, and can carry a ton of gear...

I'm in the process of building a JK-6 with 110" wheelbase...and I like the fact that it is a 2-door with a small space behind the seats...sometimes less people in the vehicle is a good thing!

RedRum
01-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Negative if I wanted a pickup I would buy a Dodge Ram ... Will it be cool seeing them on the roads and trails yes but it's just a niche market no true use ...

AllAmericanInfidel
01-11-2016, 11:36 PM
Okay...I own a Brute, and love it; however, with 139" wheelbase to accommodate 4 doors and a 5' bed, it's too long for tight trails and the break over angle is not great for climbing rocks...where it excels is steep & long hill ascents & descents, and off camber situations. It is great for camping & overlanding, and can carry a ton of gear...

I'm in the process of building a JK-6 with 110" wheelbase...and I like the fact that it is a 2-door with a small space behind the seats...sometimes less people in the vehicle is a good thing!

And every time I see pictures of your Brute I'm jealous! I think for most trails, dirt roads, exploring etc something like the Brute would be perfect. I'd love to have a Granite Crystal Brute but AEV quoted me a price of 30 grand JUST for the truck conversion with no package (suspension, bumpers, all that stuff). Damn that's a lot!

RoughRider
01-12-2016, 02:27 AM

Post up some pics of your brute

Brute
01-12-2016, 08:30 PM
182075Post up some pics of your brute[/QUOTE]

Brute
01-12-2016, 08:36 PM
182077Brute

JeepFan
01-12-2016, 09:07 PM
I have wanted another Jeep truck ever since I sold my 1977 J10! It's been almost 25 years since Jeep produced a truck and now I find myself wanting one again...built on the JK or JL platform I say YES! :yup:

mudmobeeler
01-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Maybe. The JK-8s are growing on me some.

Brute
01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
maybe. The jk-8s are growing on me some.

jk-6

mudmobeeler
01-12-2016, 10:31 PM

jk-6

Jk-8

devwil68
01-13-2016, 04:19 AM
I'd just kill for a 4-door resembling the brute and through in the 5.7 and EcoDiesel as optional engine choices...this think is a cash cow for FCA.

Just think of all the JKs that people may offload to get into something more practical for the individuals who stick to the very mild trails and don't need the 37s and coilovers etc....but I couldn't imagine building one Any differently, I bet they will ride like a dream compared to the JKs with some extra wheelbase!!!! I want one now!

Broncorider
01-13-2016, 04:42 AM
182077Brute

That is Bitchin!! Hope one day I can have one!!!

newtdog
01-13-2016, 05:20 AM
^^^^^^what he said! That thing is killer.

Owl
01-13-2016, 11:45 PM
I have no personal or direct knowledge of the veracity of the link below. But, a Jeep pickup, with a 700hp Hellcat powerplant (although it's suggested to be for the Cherokee)???

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/01/13/jeep-confirms-wrangler-pickup-hellcat-powered-grand-cherokee-in-works/?intcmp=hpff

AllAmericanInfidel
01-14-2016, 03:30 AM
182075Post up some pics of your brute[/QUOTE]

I know its far fetched, but this is what I am hoping for out of Jeep for a production truck. An actual truck with the function of a truck, the looks of a Jeep and some of the off-road prowess that the Jeep brand comes with. I'm not looking to do JKX type stuff with it, but off road trails, exploring and be able to tow and have a functional truck bed would be perfect IMO. If it is similar to this, I will be getting one. Otherwise, Ill be with my JKU forever. I'm too close to retirement and no payments to keep switching!

Oh, and by the way.. Once again, your Brute is nothing short of Bad Ass! :thumb::yup: Hear that Jeep? >:(

Brute
01-14-2016, 09:48 PM
I have no personal or direct knowledge of the veracity of the link below. But, a Jeep pickup, with a 700hp Hellcat powerplant (although it's suggested to be for the Cherokee)???

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/01/13/jeep-confirms-wrangler-pickup-hellcat-powered-grand-cherokee-in-works/?intcmp=hpff

I'm building a JK-6 with a 707hp Hellcat 6.2 supercharged hemi as we speak; Dakota Customs is in the process of chopping up a JKU to do the body conversion 1st, then swap engines and a built W5A580 SRT trans 5sp auto from Southern Hot Rod in Louisiana...when they are done, I'm driving it to WA to have my local shop buds at Mule Expedition in Issaquah to install the suspension, axles, bumpers, etc...the frame will be shortened to 110" wheelbase from 116"

Perhaps I should put it on a new build thread?...

swampdog
01-14-2016, 10:19 PM
I'm building a JK-6 with a 707hp Hellcat 6.2 supercharged hemi as we speak; Dakota Customs is in the process of chopping up a JKU to do the body conversion 1st, then swap engines and a built W5A580 SRT trans 5sp auto from Southern Hot Rod in Louisiana...when they are done, I'm driving it to WA to have my local shop buds at Mule Expedition in Issaquah to install the suspension, axles, bumpers, etc...the frame will be shortened to 110" wheelbase from 116"

Perhaps I should put it on a new build thread?...

Is that even a question? Just reading your post sent me from 6 to 12. Need pictures as well.

RedRum
01-14-2016, 10:19 PM
182077Brute

That thing is awesomeness

Brute
01-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Is that even a question? Just reading your post sent me from 6 to 12. Need pictures as well.

As we say in Hawaii..."kden"...

swampdog
01-14-2016, 10:38 PM
As we say in Hawaii..."kden"...

Tanks bruddah

Brute
01-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Tanks bruddah

You must have spent some time in the islands...nobody talks like that in NC...

Saharaunlmtd
01-15-2016, 12:13 PM
182077Brute

Congratulations on owning such a masterpiece.

The Brute double cab is #1 on my powerball list but that just hasn't panned out quite yet....

I do wish AEV would recertification the max towing higher than the factory 3500# though.

mjmck
02-25-2016, 03:32 PM
I am waiting for its debut. I currently own a 2009 F250 Crew Cab. I am toying with the idea of trading it in on one. My needs definitely include 4 doors. I prefer the looks of a truck based on a JK platform or possibly new Wrangler platform. Im afraid its going to be based on the Cherokee platform. I don't need an F250, but I absolutely love the space. Hopefully they keep the SFA also.

Byte
03-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Something like Brute's Brute: Yes! :thumb:
Something like the FC concept: Yes
Something like the Crew Chief 715 concept: Hells to the Yes! Shut up and take my money...
Something like what Eddie showed in the OP: Nope.

AEV has already provided Jeep with the answer to a mass producible JK based truck in the Brute. Why isn't Jeep rolling them off the assembly line in this configuration already? If they did it'd bring the price point down to a range that many looking for a Jeep truck would be able to afford and we'd be seeing JK & JKU versions all over. I do see one around town here. Just one. It's a silver 2 door that looks sweet as hell. Too bad starting with a full JK/JKU and modding it sets the price point much too high for John & Jane Doe car buyer. And Jeep really needs them to buy for any new lines to be rolled out and continue production. It's not the enthusiast market buying JKU's that kept them rolling off the line. Much as we hate soccer moms in mall crawlers we do need them out there. As was stated earlier, it's a good source of lightly used JKU's!