37" tires, no lift?

BLCK4X4

Hey guys, so I'm trying to do this in stages but, can I stick my new ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451413766.730369.jpg 37" tires on my Dana 44s without putting a lift kit on first? For street driving only not off-roading yet?
Let me know what you guys think...

aldaman

You could probably get away with it running 35s with some rubbing going over bumps and making turns, but not with 37s....

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Someone on here did that, it takes a decent ammount of trimming to clear them, but it can be done. Why not just get the evo leveling kit if you want to run 37s on the street?

Warebear

Some trimming and bump stops and adjusting your steer stop. There is a write up on the steer stop here somewhere Eddie made

Benito

Caught the Bug
Someone on here did that, it takes a decent ammount of trimming to clear them, but it can be done. Why not just get the evo leveling kit if you want to run 37s on the street?

I did that! Trim your fenders- flat fender mod, trim your front and rear pinch seams about 1.5"-2", install 2" bump stop extensions in the rear, rear out steering stops about 1/4", stubby your front bumper and trim the rear bumper or remove all together. Probably could have used a 1" bump stop extension in the Front, but where it rubbed the fender wasn't going to cause any damage. My 37s are on atx slabs, if they weren't, I believe a little more work would have been needed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451420043.524154.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451420069.933398.jpg

Doable: yes!
Recommended: no!

BLCK4X4

I did that! Trim your fenders- flat fender mod, trim your front and rear pinch seams about 1.5"-2", install 2" bump stop extensions in the rear, rear out steering stops about 1/4", stubby your front bumper and trim the rear bumper or remove all together. Probably could have used a 1" bump stop extension in the Front, but where it rubbed the fender wasn't going to cause any damage. My 37s are on atx slabs, if they weren't, I believe a little more work would have been needed.

View attachment 179974

View attachment 179975

Doable: yes!
Recommended: no!

But this is just temporary, I need to sell my current wheels and tires so I'm going to throw the new ones on for a month or so just for street driving. Would that work?

Benito

Caught the Bug
But this is just temporary, I need to sell my current wheels and tires so I'm going to throw the new ones on for a month or so just for street driving. Would that work?

You are going to have to do all the trimming just to get them to fit, no way around it. Any bump you hit without the rear bump stop extensions is going to cause the rear tires to rub into the top metal pinch seem cutting up your new tires. Like I said mine are on ATX slabs which have 3.5" backspace. If you get a wheel with less you will probably have to trim more of the front pinch seem and put a larger spacer in the steer stop. I ran that way from 6/21 till 9/7, then I installed my lift.

BLCK4X4

I have a cheap 3" lift kit springs and stuff sitting in the garage, maybe just toss that on really quick until I get my evo full lift kit?

BLCK4X4

You are going to have to do all the trimming just to get them to fit, no way around it. Any bump you hit without the rear bump stop extensions is going to cause the rear tires to rub into the top metal pinch seem cutting up your new tires. Like I said mine are on ATX slabs which have 3.5" backspace. If you get a wheel with less you will probably have to trim more of the front pinch seem and put a larger spacer in the steer stop. I ran that way from 6/21 till 9/7, then I installed my lift.

I have a cheap 3"; lift kit ...springs and stuff sitting in the garage, maybe just toss that on really quick until I get my evo full lift kit?

CrazyLarry

37" tires, no lift?

You will need to throw in 2" extended bumpstops in the rear to keep your tire from constantly hitting your fender and fender well. This is assuming you are going to cut your fenders. I would put 2" bumps in the front as well or 2 hockey pucks for cheap. Again this is assuming you already cut your fenders as you will not be able to run even on the road with stock fenders with no lift as you will need to run 4" bumps in the rear and that is way too much on stock height suspension you will be constantly riding on bumpstop. You will also need to trim your rear pinch seam as already suggested above. Lifting will give you more up and down travel which is why people do it when adding larger tires. Putting those tires on with no lift you will be losing 2" of up travel front and rear because of the extended bumpstops. Also if you are running wheels with more than 3.5" of backspacing you will need to adjust your steering stops as they will keep your tire off the frame/control arm at full lock turn. Lastly someone above already mentioned trimming the bumpers. You can do it as I've done it for a friend but like you only as a temporary solution. The good news is all this stuff has to be done anyway once you get your lift so may as well do it now. You just won't have any uptravel

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
I have a cheap 3"; lift kit ...springs and stuff sitting in the garage, maybe just toss that on really quick until I get my evo full lift kit?

You would be better off doing that then just running stock.

C gussets! I installed C gussets before I put the 37's on those are highly recommended, definitely do c gussets

BLCK4X4

You would be better off doing that then just running stock.

C gussets! I installed C gussets before I put the 37's on those are highly recommended, definitely do c gussets

Yes I have the C gussets on my axels already!:)
I really appreciate your help!
Thank you

Top Bottom