Removing rear windows on an Unlimited. Solved!!

medler1

I needed to swap my Sundym rear door glass from my 2009 JK over to my new 2015. I'm using the old hard-top on the new JK as I have a tubular roof rack (which will not fit the new style hard-top) and the newer window tints are far too light to achieve a good match with the dark shading on the 2009 top.
Despite extensive searches I could not see any way to remove the rear wind up glass in one piece. Forget removing the interior panel etc. as advised on the front door glass removal tutorial as the "tail" on the rear's quarterlight will still foul on the lock mechanism.
My solution was to drop the glass right to the bottom, remove the 10mm bolt from the quarterlight frame and rotate forwards the quarterlight and rubber moulding out of the door. A spray of silicone around the seals certainly helps here. Hanging the quarterlight out of the way over the door, remove the wind-up glass before pulling out the remaining rubber channelling. The outer plastic trim piece is best removed after the windows have all gone to improve access and minimize distorting it.
The "tail" of the quarterlight will "BEND" about 30 degrees as it levers out against the door lock housing. It's mild steel and its only going to be bent this once in it's life, so be not afraid.
Removing the wind-up glass is covered by many You-tube videos and elsewhere on this forum, so I won't repeat it here. If like mine the Sundym glass was installed by the original dealer then the oval access holes have already been cut out, allowing you to simply unclip the glass from the carrier with a couple of screwdrivers.
Once on the bench the quarterlight tail is easily bent back straight using a vise and some packing pieces inside the glass runner. Maybe a little tap from a rubber mallet if it has kinked slightly.
Now cut 20mm off the bottom of the tail and fine tune the curvature to match the upper part by eye and gentle hand bending, The 20mm snip will allow it to clear the lock housing on replacement.
There's still more than enough channel below the window frame to hold the glass and the future maintenance of door locks, window winders etc. will be so much easier if you can just pop the glass out without dismantling.
When refitting, the order is front part of rubber surround in first, leave quarterlight section dangling., and then insert the winding glass. With the glass right down to the bottom simply rotate the quarterlight back in, making sure the glass slips into the right place in the channelling. Then refit the remaining rubber channel and try the window before bolting back in place.
The outer plastic trim piece clips in last as it covers over the rubber seal to make a weatherproof joint. DSC_0072.jpg DSC_0073.jpg DSC_0074.jpg DSC_0075.jpg DSC_0077.jpg

Top Bottom