Gramps - the grandaddy of all Jeeps

Ddays

Hooked
So I finally got down to see the WWII display in Pittsburgh at the Heinz History center today with my daughter. The exhibit highlights the contributions made by companies and individuals in the Pittsburgh region. The highlight for me was the display of the oldest known surviving Bantam Jeep that was made by the American Bantam Car Company in Butler, which is a town roughly 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. Also included near the end are photos of the revised Jeep used throughout the war. Hope you enjoy these!

1.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

soedog

Thank you that's a cool piece of history. Snapped this in the park in downtown Butler when there for Bantam Jeep Fest. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451477557.512039.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Glad everyone is enjoying these. There was a video showing the testing that these went through and you wouldn't believe some of the scenes. They were jumping these things 3 feet in the air with 4 GI's in them while towing one of the trailers and they just kept motoring on. I tried to record the video but there were just too many people there.

Recurve

Thanks for sharing!! Didn't realize the bantam has a lot of subtle differences. It's funny, I think the willys looks older with its flatter lines.

Dwg

This is great! I know with the right leadership we can still do this kind of thing. I love seeing this stuff. Thanks!!!!!

Ddays

Hooked
This is great! I know with the right leadership we can still do this kind of thing. I love seeing this stuff. Thanks!!!!!

The thing that amazes me the most was that these guys were able to design and produce the working prototype as pictured in 46 days! Stop and think about that. That's unbelievable!
This exhibit focused on the Pittsburgh regions contributions to WWII, but the truth is everyone everywhere contributed like this. Goes to show what we can be capable of when we all stand as one.
The sacrifices that the civilians and all of the military forces made were just unfathomable when compared to what our standard of living is nowadays. This kind of stuff is extremely humbling.

rewolfe13

Awesome pictures and write up. The Ernie Pyle quote is great. If they could only see where you all take jeeps now a days.

Ddays

Hooked
Awesome pictures and write up. The Ernie Pyle quote is great. If they could only see where you all take jeeps now a days.

I'm really kicking myself now for not trying harder to record that video they had running. I'm telling you, they pounded the living shit outta these little guys and that was just the testing.
Wonder what one could do with 35's! :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom