May 2016 OBX ride

reelsilly

Well, I figured I would start to make this official and start getting a feel now for potential participants. Here's the deal, I'm looking at putting a ride together in the end of April, beginning of May. I'm thinking maybe a meet up on Friday night, ride and sight see Saturday, depart on Sunday.

There are several parts of the OBX that we can ride on, but I think that Corolla is what folks would like the best. This leg of the beach is fairly long, around 13 miles maybe, and goes to the VA border. This portion also has quite a few wild horses on

I can probably pull some strings and get discounts on a hotel close to the beach on ramp. I would like to get 8 people to commit before I start doing all this leg work. Please let me know if you want to attend.

If I get at least 8, I will go ahead and confirm a date, and start contacting hotels. Right now, I'm shooting for April 29-May1 2016. I know it's early in the year but we beat the turtle nesting times and flippin tourists.

It's nothing fancy. No huge hills, rocks, or anything like that, heck, you can probably do the whole thing in 2wd and not even deflate your tires, BUT, it's the OBX and the area is Beautiful.

For the ones that get there early enough on Friday, we can meet up and go to the Wright Brother's Museum, or if you feel froggy, we can go to Kill Devil Hills and try out some hang gliding, lol.

Let me know!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'd be down for a day trip. I won't need a hotel though. Ill will see what my schedule is looking like around that time and go from there.

reelsilly

Cool deal! I'm hoping to start making phone calls tomorrow in reference to hotel rates. This time of year should be fairly cheap.

reelsilly

Awesome guys. I have a call in and awaiting a call back from the manager of a hotel. Hopefully will hear from them Friday. I will keep y'all updated.

reelsilly

Just an update here. I'm having to mostly email the hotels in the area because it is the off season. I have emailed The Inn at Corolla Light (http://www.innatcorolla.com). As soon as I hear from them, I will provide all the information here.

In the mean time, I must let everyone know, there are speed limits posted on the beach. Although there is no pavement, all NC Motor Vehicle laws are enforced. The dunes on the OBX are strictly protected and you can not ride on them.

Once the pavement ends north hwy12, we will have about 10-11 miles of beach driving, (one way). We will go all the way to the Virginia border, where you can go no further. There are wild horses in this area, and they are also protected. Photographs can be taken, (obviously), but touching or feeding is a no no.

During our travels, you will see beach houses in the area, and there are private roads that lead to them, (all sand). We have to respect the residents and stay off these private drives. To understand more about the OBX and Corolla driving, I have provided a link for you.

http://www.outerbanks.com/driving-on-the-beach.html

In the link above, it will list rules and such for different areas of the OBX, concentrate on Corolla. If this trip is done quickly, we can hit a few other locations to drive as well, most of which will require a permit and a bit of a drive to get there.

For those that have not been to the OBX, I promise, it's worth the trip. I can give a tour of light house rides, (follow the leader style lol) and if you decide we want to hit the Hatteras Lighthouse, we can do some beach driving to that location. The Hatteras Lighthouse can be climbed. There is also a few museums such as The Wright Brothers.

As for now, I'm still getting head counts and waiting on responses from hotels.

reelsilly

I forgot, for the ones that only want to do the Saturday leg of the trip, I, or everyone that's already there, can meet you somewhere on the OBX and lead you in. If you want to keep your doors on for the trip there, I'm sure we can open our rooms to door storage, lol. Just let me know what you are wanting or planning on doing.

Top Bottom