Need some advice/input on axle upgrade

martinzusmc

So, with my D30 up front and open D44 (3.73) in the rear, I have been itching to do some upgrades. I was going to originally re-gear (4.88), air locker in the rear, and gusset the front.

The more I have been reading posts here I have been toying with the idea of getting a PR44 front, re-gear the rear & air locker. 6k

Then I ran across some 2 year old Solid brand axles D60 front and rear with lockers installed in a JK that the owner is looking to swap out (going bigger since he is pushing north of 600 hp). He is asking 9k, (which I think is a bit much)..but hell I don't even know what used axles built for a JK should run. With these axles, I would need to re-gear (5.38). So it adds about 1k to the price.

Do I need 60's? At the time no. In the future..maybe? But just like a gun safe I have always been told to buy bigger than what you need now. So if I can get for a good price..why not. What is a good price..?

I have heard/read a ton about Currie, Dynatrac, & Dana..but not much about Solid. They seem stout, but I am sure they have been beat on a bit (hell if I had a V8 I would). I just haven't heard /seen much about buying used axles, pricing, and what to look for or avoid.

Looking for any advice or just some things to think about.

WJCO

Meme King
So, with my D30 up front and open D44 (3.73) in the rear, I have been itching to do some upgrades. I was going to originally re-gear (4.88), air locker in the rear, and gusset the front.

The more I have been reading posts here I have been toying with the idea of getting a PR44 front, re-gear the rear & air locker. 6k

Then I ran across some 2 year old Solid brand axles D60 front and rear with lockers installed in a JK that the owner is looking to swap out (going bigger since he is pushing north of 600 hp). He is asking 9k, (which I think is a bit much)..but hell I don't even know what used axles built for a JK should run. With these axles, I would need to re-gear (5.38). So it adds about 1k to the price.

Do I need 60's? At the time no. In the future..maybe? But just like a gun safe I have always been told to buy bigger than what you need now. So if I can get for a good price..why not. What is a good price..?

I have heard/read a ton about Currie, Dynatrac, & Dana..but not much about Solid. They seem stout, but I am sure they have been beat on a bit (hell if I had a V8 I would). I just haven't heard /seen much about buying used axles, pricing, and what to look for or avoid.

Looking for any advice or just some things to think about.

I would make a decision on what your future planned tire size will be and what you will use the Jeep for before spending any money on axles. Then go from there. I think we all toy with the decision of upgrades in our minds but it boils down to what you really need. If you have an unlimited US Congress credit card, do whatever, but for your average Joe, I would really look at what you are planning on building and for what kind of use. I personally don't have any experience with Solid. I wouldn't recommend spending too much money on the D30 if you are planning on getting crazy with larger tires later.

martinzusmc

Thanks WJCO, yeah I would rather ditch the D30 cause I would like to upgrade to 37's and do a some more difficult trails. The PR44 would probably suit my needs, but if I can get used D60's for 1-2k more...is it worth it and what am I possibly missing? That is where I am stuck. I just don't have enough experience with Solid or used axles. Thanks again.

Top Bottom