Running out of sPod switches...options?

zerorex

Hello all I have the 6 switch sPod and currently the slots are allocated like this:

1- Led Light Bar
2- Windshield Lights
3- (Soon to be rock lights from LoD rear bumper and jcr rails)
4- (Possibly Front Fog light if I can't attach to stock harness due to new bumper not having fog lights)
5- Open
6- Cobra CB Radio

Since I plan on adding a PR44 with ARB lockers I was told I'll need 2-3 switches for that.

If I want a switch for a warn zeon s10 winch, I was informed I can't run it on the sPod so what do you guys do? I could condense my lights and leave 4 and 5 open, but it still won't be enough for the lockers if I need 3.

Also, do I really even need a switch for the winch? Never owned one as this is my first jeep but understand why it's necessary for trails. Thanks again!

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would wire the cb right to the battery, there is another one, but I feel your pain with the 6 switch setup. I wanted to get lockers but didnt want to loose 3 switches.

zerorex

I would wire the cb right to the battery, there is another one, but I feel your pain with the 6 switch setup. I wanted to get lockers but didnt want to loose 3 switches.

Yea I was thinking about doing that to get the extra slot. Just so I fully get it, for the lockers 1 switch for front lockers, 1 for back and 1 for compressor?

FYI I've been following your thread "Hinrichs 2.0"! Awesome jeep BTW learned a lot from your posts!

Benito

Caught the Bug
Hello all I have the 6 switch sPod and currently the slots are allocated like this:

1- Led Light Bar
2- Windshield Lights
4- (Possibly Front Fog light if I can't attach to stock harness due to new bumper not having fog lights)
5- Open
6- Cobra CB Radio

Since I plan on adding a PR44 with ARB lockers I was told I'll need 2-3 switches for that.

If I want a switch for a warn zeon s10 winch, I was informed I can't run it on the sPod so what do you guys do? I could condense my lights and leave 4 and 5 open, but it still won't be enough for the lockers if I need 3.

Also, do I really even need a switch for the winch? Never owned one as this is my first jeep but understand why it's necessary for trails. Thanks again!

I don't know what the amp draw is from a winch and I don't know what the relay contacts are rated for on the spod but I would also connect the winch directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

zerorex

e672d6ce-e9f0-4eb3-bc36-a33c9d4c6ff3_zpsrrs4kcgg.jpg

What about something like this? The whole reason I wanted a switch was a way to cut power to it so its only receiving power when necessary.

I've heard horror stories with just leaving it attached straight to the battery so I was looking for something that acts as a switch.

sPod specifically says on their site you cannot attach a winch so that's out unfortunatley. Ok4wd in my area sells this switch but ugh $120 bucks for that is.... yea but if its my only option ill bite

uberc4

Curious to know what kind of horror stories you have heard about leaving the winch hooked to the battery?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wire the front fogs into the stock harness, wire the CB to the battery, and then you have your open one already. There is your three switches for the compressor and both lockers.

The CB doesn't draw much power and when it does it only does when it's on. The fogs can be spliced in to the stock wiring so you can use the factory switch

zerorex

Curious to know what kind of horror stories you have heard about leaving the winch hooked to the battery?

I was told that they can cause a fire if left connected and also you want a switch due to possible theft issues?

Like I said never owned one and was wary when I was informed of this. It could be a bunch of baloney but when dropping the money on a Warn I wanted to make sure all the bases were covered.

I'm one of those people who research things to death and yes the internet can be right and wrong about a lot of things but this was told to me from a local jeeper that had an issue. Could be a fluke but honestly you guys/gals would know how true this actually is

Last edited:

zerorex

Wire the front fogs into the stock harness, wire the CB to the battery, and then you have your open one already. There is your three switches for the compressor and both lockers.

The CB doesn't draw much power and when it does it only does when it's on. The fogs can be spliced in to the stock wiring so you can use the factory switch
I honestly didnt even think about splicing it haha sometimes the best solutions are the simplest.

You nailed it about the CB that was the only reason I had it connected to the sPod was due to the battery. Thank you for the advice!

Coop

Caught the Bug
Most winches are direct connected to the battery. There isn't an inline fuse on the battery cables, as this would be quite large; i.e. Over 400 amps. I suspect most winch fires would be wiring next to the exhaust or overworking the winch. I have a Warn 9.5 ctiS and when I unplug the controller there is no electrical connection, no current draw. The other suggestions are the way I would do the CB and fog lights. My 2 cents.

Coolhand129

1- Led Light Bar
2- Windshield Lights
5- Open
6- Cobra CB Radio

Winches need to be hard wired to a battery due to high amperage draw during winching

GraniteCrystal

The instruction video for the Warn Zeon says to just hook directly to the battery. I also am wiring up a Zeon 10-S this week on my Jeep and wasn't planning on putting in a switch, fuse, etc. That said, would love to hear more affirmation from the experienced crowd that this is correct.

zerorex

The instruction video for the Warn Zeon says to just hook directly to the battery. I also am wiring up a Zeon 10-S this week on my Jeep and wasn't planning on putting in a switch, fuse, etc. That said, would love to hear more affirmation from the experienced crowd that this is correct.

Yep with the feedback from everyone that's what i'll be doing. Now to order some switches from otrattw for the lockers and ill be on my way. lol I have all stupid ones now from when I first got my sPod that will make no sense

WarriorJeep

I'm getting close to running out of switches on my sPod too, what I have decided to do is add another sPod. The idea is to fabricate a new mounting bracket that will allow me to stack 2 sPod modules under the hood... one on top of the other, or find someplace under there to mount a second one. Perhaps on the passenger side. And subsequently do something similar with the switch module inside. But I haven't mocked it up yet to validate. Would be nice to have 12 switches, I mean who doesn't like switches

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The new spods are expandable I think..that being said. Absolutely do not wire the winch to the spod...big waste. Also don't wire the CB...another super big waste. How about just turn the knob to turn it on. We collectively just saved you $500, you're welcome. Could also consider another switch panel that doesn't have the footprint of an spod and has more I/O room like the switchpros panel.

WarriorJeep

The expandable sPod looks nice, might have to swap my 6 circuit sPod w genesis adapter for that or possibly the switch pro 8100. Only realistically need a total of 8 circuits

Light bar in bumper
led pods flood
Led pods spot
Rear flood led
Side mounted scene lights
Rock lights
Mobile DVR system
OBA

Might need more someday, but not today

Krawl

Just add a Daystar switch panel in front of the shifter for the 3 ARB switches (if you have an automatic)...cheap solution. The compressor and lockers come with the switches and the system harness has in line relay so no real need to connect to sPod anyway.

Top Bottom