Hot Oil (JK)

Stone_JKUR

Every time my wheeling buddies and I go wheeling, someone ends up with "HOT OIL". What is this? How can it be fixed?

aldaman

Adding a bigger aftermarket trans cooler.....Also if it doesn't require you to wheel in 4HI stick to 4Lo that helps a bit....

Benito

Caught the Bug
Adding a bigger aftermarket trans cooler.....Also if it doesn't require you to wheel in 4HI stick to 4Lo that helps a bit....

Do you mean stick to 4hi rather than 4lo. To move in 4lo your jeep stays at higher revs. 4hi is 1:1, 4lo in a sport is 2.xx:1 and 4lo in a Rubi is 4.1:1 so stay in 4hi as much as possible

aldaman

Do you mean stick to 4hi rather than 4lo. To move in 4lo your jeep stays at higher revs. 4hi is 1:1, 4lo in a sport is 2.xx:1 and 4lo in a Rubi is 4.1:1 so stay in 4hi as much as possible

Nope, 4Lo is preferable and most often doesn't make the hot oil come on....

aldaman

Below about sums up the reason for using 4lo....

4LO allows for higher RPM's and get more fluid flowing through the trans keeping it cooler. You can even try locking it out in 1st or 2nd gear in 2 or 4 HI. Lugging and constant shifting will cause the trans to generate more heat than can be dissipated. Just had this happen to me a week ago driving my 50k lb (auto trans) water tender the back way up to big bear. I noticed it was running a bit hotter than usual and just as I was about to down shift to 1st got the check trans message and it went into limp mode. Not good when responding to a fire..haha. 20 mins later I was back on the road.

I have had this happen in both 2wd and 4HI when driving on relatively easy mountain trails with somewhat steep hills every once in a while (no faster than 35mph). Its never once happened to me in 4LO. It is clearly noticeable that it is much easier to drive in 4LO rather than 2wd or 4HI because the engine seems to bog down on the steep parts when not in 4LO. Which makes the engine work harder and in turn get warmer.

martinzusmc

I had the same issue (driving up Big Bear) I just installed a trans cooler W/fan on a temp sensor. Cost $150 and no more Hot Oil issues.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
10 times out of 10 I've seen a hot oil light on the trail was because of lugging...meaning you're in 4hi when you should be in 4lo...the load on the transmission is much greater at 4hi....Ive seen it on JKs, Xterras, Toyotas, etc.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Wrong. Revs don't matter, load matters.

jeeeep

Hooked
or... if you have an automatic, 4Hi, (even with a trans cooler) and you have the 3.8 with the lousy tall OD, lock out OD and learn when to shift down if needed, just watch your rpms

If you have the 3.6 with tap shift, same thing...use it like a manual transmission, lugging will cause your trans to slip and heat up

automatic transmissions are good at figuring it out on the road but on the trail you have to take over. when going slow it will always choose OD or the tallest gear causing your trans to hunt for gears or slip until it decides to shift down = heat.

Take control of your automatic to keep the fluid moving and the momentum you need.

4Lo if you really need it, but going faster than recommended for 4Lo does more harm and still heats up, 4lo = more torque not more traction and is a lousy way to try and keep your rpms up (if that's why you're using it) shift down instead

Top Bottom