Front wheel alignment

Slimebones

I truly appreciate your guidance on front wheel alignment. I have one question. I am running 37" inch tires. Do I need to set the toe in more than the stated 1/8" due to the fact the measurement is further away from the center of the axle than on stock wheels?

aldaman

This should help and no you shouldn't have to go beyond 1/8th...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...nt-End-Alignment&p=42392&viewfull=1#post42392

Setting Your Toe-In
Contrary to what you might think, your front wheels do not sit parallel to each other. In fact, if you were to look straight down on them, they would be sitting with the front of your tires pointing ever so slightly inward. This is called a "toe-in" and, on a rear wheel drive vehicle, it is set this way on purpose to help keep your Jeep driving straight and give your tires a more even wear.

Unlike the TJ before, the steering system on a JK does not have the tie-rod connected to the drag link and therefore, the toe-in setting will not be effected with the installation of a lift. Needless to say, an adjustment to your toe will be required. Having said that, if you've installed a new tie-rod or bent your factory one on a rock, this write-up will help you to set it back to where it needs to be.

1. Park on level ground and then with the help of a friend, measure the width between the fronts of your front tires and then compare it to the width of the back of your front tires. It is important to use the exact same measuring point front and back in order to get an accurate reading. If your tires still have a mold seam, this is a good point to measure from. Or, if you have a toe-in alignment tool (can be purchased at Harbor Freight for about $20), that will give you the most accurate measurements.
main.php

2. Start up your engine, turn your wheels both ways fully and then straighten your steering wheel. Using a 15mm socket, loosen the nut securing the adjuster clamp on tie rod as shown in this pic.
main.php

3. Firmly grab the tie-rod’s knurled adjuster and rotate it a little bit at a time taking measurements along the way. If you're Jeep sees a lot of water, mud or salt, you may find it necessary to spray down the threads with some penetrating oil and use a pair of vicegrips to help turn the adjuster. Ideally, you'll want to have approximately 1/16" of toe-in. You should not exceed 1/8" as anything more than that will be too much and that'll your tires to wear poorly.
main.php

4. Once your toe-in has been set, use a 15mm socket to re-tighten the nut securing your Jeep JK Wrangler’s tie-rod clamp. Tighten this nut to 45 ft. lbs. of torque and make sure that the tie-rod does not move while doing this.

Top Bottom