Shock/bumpstop/tire size

jkodak

i have 2007 Jkur with 3.5" Metalcloak lift. I added a teraflex 44 front axle housing. I am currently running 35"tires with 3" of bumpstop
My question is... I need new shocks. my fox shocks need a lower relocation bracket so they don't hit against the frame while flexed. The Metalcloak bracket will not fit the teraflex housings lower shock bracket, as the TF bracket is too stout to accept the MC extension bracket. I am going to go with 38" tires. i have trimmed fender flares. since i need new shocks anyways, What is the longest shock i can install (without going coil overs) and how much bump stop will i need?
Im assuming the larger tires will only travel up so far before hitting the body/wheel well, so can i go with a 12" shock? compressed, they are around 19". Will the shock bottom out while compressed and either bend or possibly break my shock mount? Thanks for any input and Happy New Year

kpig

i have 2007 Jkur with 3.5" Metalcloak lift. I added a teraflex 44 front axle housing. I am currently running 35"tires with 3" of bumpstop
My question is... I need new shocks. my fox shocks need a lower relocation bracket so they don't hit against the frame while flexed. The Metalcloak bracket will not fit the teraflex housings lower shock bracket, as the TF bracket is too stout to accept the MC extension bracket. I am going to go with 38" tires. i have trimmed fender flares. since i need new shocks anyways, What is the longest shock i can install (without going coil overs) and how much bump stop will i need?
Im assuming the larger tires will only travel up so far before hitting the body/wheel well, so can i go with a 12" shock? compressed, they are around 19". Will the shock bottom out while compressed and either bend or possibly break my shock mount? Thanks for any input and Happy New Year

To get the right size shocks, you really should measure your actual max compressed shock length from center of upper mount to center of lower mount and go from there. I am running an 11" travel shock with only about .2" left when hitting bumpstops metal to metal.

You might want to contact Teraflex to see if the lower shock mounts have been moved outward like the Prorock housings. If so, then no need for lower relocation. If not, contact Metalcloak for their upper shock mount for their 6pak shocks that push the upper mount outward. That worked on mine with fat body Rancho 9000 shocks. Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom