Did I get scammed on a brake flush?

ScoobyCarolanNC

Had Leith Jeep Chrysler in Raleigh, NC do a brake check and fluid flush to the tune of about $150. Before everyone jumps in and says that's too much, I'm more concerned with what I found & need advise.

It's been rainy so I didn't pop my hood for a few days. I just checked the fluid & it looks dark brown in the tank. Furious that they hemmed me up for a day I just drove over.

The guy they send out to check my fluid didn't even know how to prop the hood correctly & I did it for him. He looks at the fluid & sticks a finger in then smears it on white paper. What comes out looks the right color, but has what looks like dirt or rust flakes in it? "Well, you're never going to get everything out with a flush. You see the color? It looks good to me." Knowing this fella is about 60 years old, I can tell he's stonewalled customers before. I'll get nowhere so I leave without another word.

Did they just put new fluid on my old? How could there be particulate in a newly flushed system? Am I just wrong to assume my fluid should look light yellow like it does in the bottle? What would you do?

Tree Frog

Sorry to tell you this ... but yeah, you got hosed. :doh:

A proper flush would have included removing all of the possibly contaminated brake fluid from the master cylinder. Refilling with fresh fluid. Then the flush by doing an ABS bleed to purge, until the brake lines ran clean and clear.
New brake fluid runs from clear to a slightly yellow tint.

Even the old turkey baster to pull out the bad fluid trick then refill with fresh fluid would have left you with a clean master cylinder and fresh fluid in it.

Is there another dealer in your area you could take it to? Also may want to contact some state board or even the BBB (as worthless as they are)

Good luck, interested in outcome. Hate thieves and scammers!

WJCO

Meme King
A brake flush should have left you fluid a yellow-amber color. Even if your old fluid was REALLY dirty, it shouldn't look the way you described it after a flush. You could try talking to the service manager as well about your concern.

As far as price, they're typically about 100 bucks, so if there was any brake inspection fee or if they charged you a flat 1 hour at a higher rate, 150 isn't too terribly bad.

ScoobyCarolanNC

A brake flush should have left you fluid a yellow-amber color. Even if your old fluid was REALLY dirty, it shouldn't look the way you described it after a flush...

So I shouldn't expect it to look like new brake fluid? I clearly need pics here...

swampdog

Not to be that guy.....but, with minimal tools and a friend you can totally do this yourself. Super easy and cheap. Less than an hour and 15 bucks.

Jeepnoub

So I shouldn't expect it to look like new brake fluid? I clearly need pics here...

Should be pretty close to new. Brake fluid isn't completely clear. Pretty close, but not perfect.

And depending on the brake system age and how often you flush it, will determine how clear it is once flushed.

Skid_Kid

Way over priced and not performed. Take it back and demand a new tech do it and the the tech that said he did get written up.

WJCO

Meme King

It should look similar to new fluid. But I have seen some nasty brake reservoirs that leave some deposits or slightly dirty fluid in even after a flush, but regardless, after a flush the fluid should be noticeably closer to new looking rather than old-looking. From the color your described, it doesn't sound like it was done.

Top Bottom