Fluid Leak - What is this?

Petzl88

Went wheeling yesterday on the rocks and I go out this morning to find this fluid under my drivers side control arm. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451842381.294112.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451842396.177017.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451842407.078052.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451842417.612010.jpg

It is blue and was semi frozen because of the cold Colorado nights. I haven't chased it down to see where it is leaking from yet but I need some help please!

Petzl88

But I just changed the tire oil.

Is this normal? I just looked at it again and it is all down the inside of the drivers side shock.

Petzl88

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451843140.781395.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451843155.946814.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451843168.480765.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451843180.279639.jpg

It sure seems like a lot of fluid to me! I just had my oil changed the other day and they filled the washer fluid reservoir.

There is about an inch gone from the washer fluid reservoir. Fluid is on top of the spring perch too. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451843445.598520.jpg

Last edited:

bthomas

I've got the same leak on my 12, I haven't been able to figure out if it's the reservoir, or the pump. There's some sort of valve or maybe it's the pump behind the reservoir, it has both front and rear lines plumbed off of it, i've got a suspicion that's where my leak is coming from. If you figure yours out, post up what you find and I will do the same.

bthomas

Mine does it too. Not a big enough deal yet to fix it

Yeah, I haven't killed myself trying to diagnose/fix it. Put in enough to time to find out it was washer fluid and not a vital fluid, narrowed down where I think it's coming from and called it s day so far! I'm sure I'll get bored soon and look into it more...

Petzl88

The cold must have something to do with it. My jeep is usually in the garage but I left it outside last night and the temperature got down to almost 0 deg F. Plus the reservoir was just filled.

Thanks for all your help guys! This forum is great!

jeeeep

Hooked
it's your washer fluid. you can buy washer fluid that has an antifreeze agent in it it won't harm anything.
I usually buy mine at a truck stop, it's cheap. it will sayn on-freezing on the bottle

Josh27

My washer fluid leaks when it gets cold too. I remember somebody a while back posed a thread about this issue and I believe they found it to be a seal on the pump that shrinks when it gets cold causing it to leak.

Vilmars

My washer fluid leaks when it gets cold too. I remember somebody a while back posed a thread about this issue and I believe they found it to be a seal on the pump that shrinks when it gets cold causing it to leak.

This is what happened to me (twice)!

WJCO

Meme King
It's the cold. Happened on my old Tacoma and on my old F350. Both times were when it was below zero. Especially when you drive it while the vehicle is cold. Both of mine were fittings or lines that cracked under stress. I was out backpacking in the mountains Friday, it was -5F. I'm sure I wasn't too far from where you were as far as elevation, etc. It's the cold. As it is warming up now, you could use water to fill the reservoir in an attempt to find the leak so as not to waste new fluid. Then just make sure and get it all out once the leak is fixed and re-fill it with the proper fluid.

CdnJeepDan

it's your washer fluid. you can buy washer fluid that has an antifreeze agent in it it won't harm anything.
I usually buy mine at a truck stop, it's cheap. it will sayn on-freezing on the bottle

Wait. You can actually buy washer fluid without an antifreeze agent in it? Wouldn't do much good in -30ºC. ;)

swampdog

Wait. You can actually buy washer fluid without an antifreeze agent in it? Wouldn't do much good in -30ºC. ;)

Yup. Most of what they sell here in North Carolina is only good above 32 deg. Just have to make a conscious effort to read the label when buying.

CdnJeepDan

Yup. Most of what they sell here in North Carolina is only good above 32 deg. Just have to make a conscious effort to read the label when buying.

Interesting. So, pretty much water with some coloring and maybe some soap for the bug-remover types.

WJCO

Meme King

Interesting. So, pretty much water with some coloring and maybe some soap for the bug-remover types.

Yep. I learned the hard way. Took a trip to Seattle last fall. Was out of fluid so bought some at Walmart and drove back. Didn't bother even looking at the label. When I got back here to CO, wasn't even a week and bottle was completely frozen. I still had the container and sure enough, it was only good down to 32F.

Top Bottom