Warn winch not working

Nick Zambo

Hi all

Just looking to hear back if anyone else has had issues with their own Warn Zeon 10 winch. The winch is only 1.5 years old and has only been used 2 times since new never submerged in water or abused. Today I was hoping to head out on some of the snow covered trails and thought I would be a good idea to do a quick once over on the jeep. I was quick to discover that the winch now only makes a clicking sound from the solenoid and nothing more.

So I thought must be a dirty connection somewhere in the wiring. After a number of hours taking it apart checking cleaning and looking over everything the problem is still there. So I am hoping that maybe someone has had this issue and could pass on some advice.

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all

Just looking to hear back if anyone else has had issues with their own Warn Zeon 10 winch. The winch is only 1.5 years old and has only been used 2 times since new never submerged in water or abused. Today I was hoping to head out on some of the snow covered trails and thought I would be a good idea to do a quick once over on the jeep. I was quick to discover that the winch now only makes a clicking sound from the solenoid and nothing more.

So I thought must be a dirty connection somewhere in the wiring. After a number of hours taking it apart checking cleaning and looking over everything the problem is still there. So I am hoping that maybe someone has had this issue and could pass on some advice.

Thanks

That's a first. With the rope all the way out and no load on it, does the drum turn at all?

CastleRockJeep

First I'm not an electronics expert. With that said if it were me I'd use jumper cables direct to winch motor and see if it turns. Then if you switch the negative and positive it should run the opposite way. I have no hands on experience with a Zeon so not sure how easy this would be. Make sure to pull a few feet of line before trying this. That should help diagnose between contactor and motor...

Nick Zambo

First I'm not an electronics expert. With that said if it were me I'd use jumper cables direct to winch motor and see if it turns. Then if you switch the negative and positive it should run the opposite way. I have no hands on experience with a Zeon so not sure how easy this would be. Make sure to pull a few feet of line before trying this. That should help diagnose between contactor and motor...

I was thinking of jumping the solenoid but I am just not sure hope to do it correctly. There are 3 large copper connection not sure how they work, and a ground mounted near the bottom.

CastleRockJeep

I was thinking of jumping the solenoid but I am just not sure hope to do it correctly. There are 3 large copper connection not sure how they work, and a ground mounted near the bottom.

You're probably best off playing it safe and contacting Warn. See what they tell you and go from there...

WJCO

Meme King

This video may help, hope so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj333bIq4bE. This is a video of a Warn rep relocating the Zeon control pack remotely. It's not real detailed, but may at least show you what you need.

This diagram from Warn may help as well. Good luck.

https://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/pdf/89959A0_rs.pdf

Nick Zambo

This video may help, hope so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj333bIq4bE. This is a video of a Warn rep relocating the Zeon control pack remotely. It's not real detailed, but may at least show you what you need.

This diagram from Warn may help as well. Good luck.

https://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/pdf/89959A0_rs.pdf

Thanks

The information will come in handy if Warn decides to send me some parts. I will jump it tomorrow after work and see if it is the motor or control pack. Hopefully Warn steps up to the plate here. And glad I found out it didn't work when I did before I got in over my head.

Nick Zambo

Hey guys after talking to Warn and bringing the winch into one of there repair shops as requested by Warn. The repair shop called today and said that it was the motor and that had it had seized due to water getting into the motor. Just thought you might want to know.

JAGS

Hooked
Hey guys after talking to Warn and bringing the winch into one of there repair shops as requested by Warn. The repair shop called today and said that it was the motor and that had it had seized due to water getting into the motor. Just thought you might want to know.

How did water get into the motor? And what is the corrective action and how much will it cost you?

Nick Zambo

How did water get into the motor? And what is the corrective action and how much will it cost you?

Well I am not sure. I have never submerged it as I may have mentioned in the opening statement. So the only thing I can possibly think of is the car wash. Unfortunately in Calgary Alberta Canada it is illegal to hand wash your car at your house, so car washes is the only option.

Now that said the repair shop called Friday and did say that Warn would run it through warranty. The repair shop did not say if I had to cover any of it. I should have it back in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Jegar

Well I am not sure. I have never submerged it as I may have mentioned in the opening statement. So the only thing I can possibly think of is the car wash. Unfortunately in Calgary Alberta Canada it is illegal to hand wash your car at your house, so car washes is the only option.

Now that said the repair shop called Friday and did say that Warn would run it through warranty. The repair shop did not say if I had to cover any of it. I should have it back in a couple weeks.

Glad to hear Warn covering through warranty -- Hope you don't have any out of pocket $.

Lex Jeeper

Wait. Are you serious? Illegal to wash your own car by hand? That's just not right.

That seems weird. I ordered a Zeon 10-S today and after speaking with the guy pretty extensively, one of the things he mentioned was how much better they are sealed compared to other styles. I find it hard to believe that normal washing would cause a motor failure:thinking:

Top Bottom