ATX Slabs AX756 - Off Road Only?

Coop

Caught the Bug
I know this probably has come up before, but the ATX web site says the AX756 slabs are off road only. EVO's web site says highway and off road, good for daily drivers.
Does this mean the wheel isn't DOT approved?
I want to switch to rim locks and this appears to be a recommended wheel by a number of the experienced folks here, but this is confusing. I don't tow my Jeep and I don't want to get nailed by law enforcement. Need your input.
Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know this probably has come up before, but the ATX web site says the AX756 slabs are off road only. EVO's web site says highway and off road, good for daily drivers.
I want to switch to rim locks and this appears to be a recommended wheel by a number of the experienced folks here, but this is confusing. I don't tow my Jeep and I don't want to get nailed by law enforcement. Need your input.
Thanks

Correct they are not DOT approved but that doesn't stop people like myself and many other from running them daily. The cops will not hassle you for them BUT if you have state inspections then you may have trouble with passing with them on. I suggest looking for a shop that you can build a relationship with and I'm sure when it comes time they would pas you.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Correct they are not DOT approved but that doesn't stop people like myself and many other from running them daily. The cops will not hassle you for them BUT if you have state inspections then you may have trouble with passing with them on. I suggest looking for a shop that you can build a relationship with and I'm sure when it comes time they would pas you.

Thanks! By the way, what series of Nitto Grapplers are you running, ATs or G2s?

AEV had a set of beadlocks that were dot approved but I think that's one of the only ones and they don't even sell them anymore. I went withe the TrailReady beadlocks over atx because TrailReady is made in the USA and not China

Jackal01

If you want DOT approved I would look into Hutchison Rock Monsters. I want DOT approved so that is what I am going to get, hopefully this year.

Wardell

The Lift Laws website has a pretty good page on beadlocks. Basically, they are "not illegal," in the sense that there are no laws in the US that specifically prohibit their use for street driving. They simply don't meet DOT or SAE design standards. They're also advertised as being "off road only" so the manufacturer can avoid any possible liability.

Lift Laws even has a $100 bounty for anyone who can prove they are illegal or send them a copy of a fix-it ticket they recieved. I'm not sure how long they have had that posted, but I don't think it has ever been claimed.

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm

That said, I do second the Rock Monsters (and plan to get a set of my own this spring). On top of being DOT compliant, they are a different design with a thick rubber sleve in the centre of the rim. That way, it locks both beads, not just the outside bead. They just don't have that nice ring that also helps protect from rock rash like more traditionally styled beadlocks.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

The price on the Hutchison Rock Monsters, ATX, as well as the Trail Ready rims are all pretty steep. I'm not complaining at all about that price, but think about what is gonna become of these beautiful wheels. They are gonna get THRASHED, which in my opinion makes them look even tougher. Seriously though, if you spent that money on a street rim for you street ride, a single curb-shot would really fry your bacon. Oh well, Jeep stuff ain't cheap!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If you want DOT approved I would look into Hutchison Rock Monsters. I want DOT approved so that is what I am going to get, hopefully this year.

Is this the rock monster? I'm just curious.

Attachments

• 1451916776460.jpg
    1451916776460.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 408

Exodus 4x4

Is this the rock monster? I'm just curious.

Olram makes a good point. Just because they're DOT approved doesn't mean shit won't happen. Anything can happen.

I personally run rock monsters and love them. I made up my mind that they were the beadlock I wanted. It doesn't mean that they're the best or a superior product, just what I preferred.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Actually, I wasn't making a point. Lol, I wasn't sure if those were them. But anything can break I guess.

Broncorider

I heard pro comp made or is making a set of DOT approved bead locks. I'm sure most law enforcement doesn't even know if they are illegal or not. They'll get you with some other type of bull shit ticket like no mud flaps or not having your light bars covered.

mds22

Thanks

I don't think there is such a thing as DOT "approved", some are considered DOT "compliant". But Very few states mention anything about wheels in their laws, and every officer i talked to (KY, AL, and FL) said they couldn't write a ticket for the type wheel you have. They all stressed the only thing of concern is if your state had inspections (like Cozdude mentioned), or if you there was an accident you could face a lawsuit because of them.

sjd78

Kinda off topic but does anyone know if slabs will fit over Dynatrac Pro Grip brakes without interference?

Top Bottom