Preparing for a spring/summer build

Harley74

I don’t know if I am posting in the right place or not. I am trying to get some kind of game plan together to start my build hopefully this spring/summer time. Need some input on what is the best place to start doing upgrades on? Do you start from the ground up or front to back? This is all new to me & I just want to make sure I do it correct and not make double the work for myself. I won’t be rock crawling or hitting mud holes up to my window. This will be my DD along with camping, some mild to medium style trails, hunting & fishing. What I am kind of looking to do is the front bumper with a winch, rear bumper with tire carrier with a little storage for gas and or water, rock rails/steps bars, lift kit if it is needed, would like to put some new rims & 35’s on but I am assuming I will need to do the gears but not sure what is best on that. I have Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty rear axle & Next Generation Dana 30 solid front axle and 3.21 front & rear axle ratios and it is a 3.6 – Liter Automatic. Any input from you all would be great, I am as green as they come with this and the experience from you all would be greatly appreciated!

How it sits now.

20160104_111352-1.jpg 20160104_111400-1.jpg 20160104_111409-1.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
For the lift, I would suggest the Evo leveling kit and flat fenders and you will be able to clear 35s fine. I would add guessets if you plan to keep the 30 up front. Bumpers there are tons of options so pick whatever style you like.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For the lift, I would suggest the Evo leveling kit and flat fenders and you will be able to clear 35s fine. I would add guessets if you plan to keep the 30/44 up front. Bumpers there are tons of options so pick whatever style you like.

All of this ^^^ I second the Evo leveling kit. Gregmort has it with 35's and he has flexed the hell out of it when wheeling. It is also a pretty smooth ride.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451941890.454255.jpg .

Harley74

So with the 35's I shouldn't need to do the gears? I can run with what I have if I add the Evo leveling kit, guessets and flat fenders or trim the ones I have, correct? Thanks for the info, very helpful! Nice rig by the way.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
So with the 35's I shouldn't need to do the gears? I can run with what I have if I add the Evo leveling kit, guessets and flat fenders or trim the ones I have, correct? Thanks for the info, very helpful! Nice rig by the way.

Greg would be able to answer this, but its subjective I would say. You may not mind how it drives, and you may want a regear as well.

swampdog

That's correct, but a 3.21 with 35's will suck, especially if you have an Auto. I am running 35's with a 3.21 geared (3.6L) Manual, and it works, but I have to clutch it to death. It will be worse with an auto. I'm upgrading to a 4.56 or 4.88 in the next 2 months.

WJCO

Meme King

If you never go up a hill, your gears will be fine. If you plan on using this trail with hills or in any mountains, you will definitely want to run at least 4.56s. Also, if you plan on adding weight such as fuel, water, tools, camping gear, then you will want to up your gears as well.

Harley74

Sounds like I will be doing the gears, tire, rims and leveling kit and trimming the fenders firts. Then see what the funds are after that project. Think this is a good starting point for a build. Thank you for the input, like I said I'm green to this.

Harley74

If you never go up a hill, your gears will be fine. If you plan on using this trail with hills or in any mountains, you will definitely want to run at least 4.56s. Also, if you plan on adding weight such as fuel, water, tools, camping gear, then you will want to up your gears as well.

Ok I have found G2 complete ring & penion kit for front and rear price is the same for 4.88 & 5.13 which would be the best over all?

kfchris

You're probably going to want to stay in the 4's. 5:13's will be for much larger tires. just my opinion.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok I have found G2 complete ring & penion kit for front and rear price is the same for 4.88 & 5.13 which would be the best over all?

If it were me, I would do the 4.88s. Sounds like for what you are using your Jeep for, the 5.13s would be a little overkill, IMO.

Harley74

That is kinda what I was leaning towards but just wanted to make sure I was not missing something or misunderstanding something. 4.88 it is then. Thanks for all info and help on this.

Clark Collins

You are getting good advice on the gears, fenders and lift. I just want to add, don't just get side steps get frame mounted rock rails. I'm running the LOD rails as they really work well for side steps and they bolt to the frame. Lots of folks are running the weld on EVO rails and I understand that you can get them angled out so they also work as side steps.

Harley74

You are getting good advice on the gears, fenders and lift. I just want to add, don't just get side steps get frame mounted rock rails. I'm running the LOD rails as they really work well for side steps and they bolt to the frame. Lots of folks are running the weld on EVO rails and I understand that you can get them angled out so they also work as side steps.

Do you have a picture of yours to show me?

Roverrich

I'm certainly no expert but my experience is to do it once right and you will save some cash in the long run. I have a 2014 JKU rubicon auto and my use is similar to yours-- no rocks, no mud pits, DD and Hunt/fish vehicle. I did a budget boost but after adding heavy bumpers front and back, winch and 35" tire / carrier, my suspension is sagging and under sprung. I'm now am going to do a 2.5" lift sooooo if I were to do it again, I'd just forgo the budget boost and do a proper lift designed to carry the extra weight, sounds like you might want to consider this with your planned build. Finally, as far as re-gearing, I did not do any as my 3.73 w/ Superchips tuner seems to work well around here, FLAT land no mountains or hills. Enjoy the build and get ready to ruminate non-productively on which parts/upgrades etc you are going to do next!!! jeep1.jpg

Last edited:

Harley74

I'm certainly no expert but my experience is to do it once right and you will save some cash in the long run. I have a 2014 JKU rubicon auto and my use is similar to yours-- no rocks, no mud pits, DD and Hunt/fish vehicle. I did a budget boost but after adding heavy bumpers front and back, winch and 35" tire / carrier, my suspension is sagging and under sprung. I'm now am going to do a 2.5" lift sooooo if I were to do it again, I'd just forgo the budget boost and do a proper lift designed to carry the extra weight, sounds like you might want to consider this with your planned build. Finally, as far as re-gearing, I did not do any as my 3.73 w/ Superchips tuner seems to work well around here, FLAT land no mountains or hills. Enjoy the build and get ready to ruminate non-productively on which parts/upgrades etc you are going to do next!!! View attachment 180866

Like the look of your jeep. I think I'm going with the Yukon 4.56 ratio, 2.5 terraflex lift and suspension, then 35's. What tires do you have.

Pyro1415

Like the look of your jeep. I think I'm going with the Yukon 4.56 ratio, 2.5 terraflex lift and suspension, then 35's. What tires do you have.

Man I'm running the tf 2.5 stay away lol. Sucks for a daily driver and I have like 1" of up travel. Id go with Evo or rk 2.5 stock mod.

Harley74

Man I'm running the tf 2.5 stay away lol. Sucks for a daily driver and I have like 1" of up travel. Id go with Evo or rk 2.5 stock mod.

I will have to look into the evo, what is the difference between them? I just want to do this right the first time and not regret it later. A lot of money to put out and then have issues. I appreciate all the input!

Pyro1415

I will have to look into the evo, what is the difference between them? I just want to do this right the first time and not regret it later. A lot of money to put out and then have issues. I appreciate all the input!

Well although I have no experience with Evo many here do so in sure they'll chime in. Although it's the only brand I can't find negative things about. I've driven a rk stock mod and it handled and flexed much better than my tf lift. Although the tf corners better than stock because of how stiff the springs are at highway it's terrible and it offers no up travel.

Top Bottom