Bad gas?

JimL

Howdy boys (and girls). First time jeep owner here, I just bought a used Wrangler Unlimited a few weeks ago, I'd always wanted one since I was a kid so I took the chance. It seemed it great shape, drove a little rugged but ran great. Then when I drove it to Colorado for work a few hundred miles down the road the engine started misfiring randomly going up hills then the check engine light came on. I parked it and and let the engine idle and it started puffing short clouds of white smoke out the tailpipe, and the engine was sputtering. I continued down the road and then after awhile it was fine. Was this a bad batch of gas or could there be a serious problem? Sorry about the novel.

WJCO

Meme King
Howdy boys (and girls). First time jeep owner here, I just bought a used Wrangler Unlimited a few weeks ago, I'd always wanted one since I was a kid so I took the chance. It seemed it great shape, drove a little rugged but ran great. Then when I drove it to Colorado for work a few hundred miles down the road the engine started misfiring randomly going up hills then the check engine light came on. I parked it and and let the engine idle and it started puffing short clouds of white smoke out the tailpipe, and the engine was sputtering. I continued down the road and then after awhile it was fine. Was this a bad batch of gas or could there be a serious problem? Sorry about the novel.

Welcome to WAL. Is the CEL still on? Did you ever have the code checked? Could be bad gas, but usually with bad gas, the symptom will continue.

JimL

Yes, CEL is still on. It's solid now, it was flashing before. I had a shop run a diagnostic but it only came up with multiple misfires and number 3 cylinder misfire.

JimL

Welcome to WAL. Is the CEL still on? Did you ever have the code checked? Could be bad gas, but usually with bad gas, the symptom will continue.

Sorry, forgot to respond directly to your post.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Yes, CEL is still on. It's solid now, it was flashing before. I had a shop run a diagnostic but it only came up with multiple misfires and number 3 cylinder misfire.

I've heard you have to use different octane gas due to the elevation. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

1. Is it back at your normal elevation and does it still misfire?

JimL

I've heard you have to use different octane gas due to the elevation. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

1. Is it back at your normal elevation and does it still misfire?

Well that might be. I'm from Texas and bought the jeep while I was home over the holiday break. Then I drove it back back up here to colorado. I thought it might be bad gas because I fueled up at the truck stop before letting it idle for about 10 minutes. The tank was a little below half empty before I refueled. It hasn't given me any problems since it stopped misfiring, the CEL is still lit though. I'm hoping it's a simple issue.

WJCO

Meme King
Solid is better than flashing, so that's good. If you had multiple misfires, but now is running in good, it indeed could be a gas issue. And as Frank suggested, maybe the elevation through off your sensor just long enough to cause an issue, then the the pcm did an automatic re-learn and corrected it.

WJCO

Meme King
Well that might be. I'm from Texas and bought the jeep while I was home over the holiday break. Then I drove it back back up here to colorado. I thought it might be bad gas because I fueled up at the truck stop before letting it idle for about 10 minutes. The tank was a little below half empty before I refueled. It hasn't given me any problems since it stopped misfiring, the CEL is still lit though. I'm hoping it's a simple issue.

Have the codes cleared completely and keep an eye on it to see if any return in the near future.

Skid_Kid

At elevation changes and slightly used vehicle, this situation can happen. The MAF sensor could be dirty or oxygen sensors. The reason for the sputtering and such is the vehicle is lagging air and or fuel. If it happens again you can do what you did and just hope it comes out of it or disconnect the battery and then start and let the vehicle idle for a while (it might not run on its own for a min or two, you will have to give it gas). Essentially the computer is relearning the the sensors and air around it to know what it takes to make it run normal.

JimL

Thanks for the suggestions, boys. Im gonna have it looked at ASAP to be sure, I really hope thats the end of the issue and I didn't buy a lemon.

Top Bottom