CB radio speaker acoustics

xxJWPxx

I'm getting ready to install a new stereo deck and CB radio in the stereo opening in the dash. They will be stacked with the stereo sitting above the CB. I know hardly anything about CB radio's but did some research prior to buying and ended up with the Uniden Bearcat 880. The CB speaker on the 880 is on the bottom of the unit, which could pose some problems with where I intend on mounting it. One option is to purchase another speaker and mount it somewhere in the cab. I'd prefer not to do that, so I was thinking I could cut the top out of the cubby that sits underneath the stock stereo (for those with power windows this would not work) and have the speaker exposed to the cubby. Seemed like a brilliant idea at first but now I'm wondering what the sound quality will be like?

Has anyone tried this before or have any input on speaker acoustics for something like that?

tdougherty81

I'm getting ready to install a new stereo deck and CB radio in the stereo opening in the dash. They will be stacked with the stereo sitting above the CB. I know hardly anything about CB radio's but did some research prior to buying and ended up with the Uniden Bearcat 880. The CB speaker on the 880 is on the bottom of the unit, which could pose some problems with where I intend on mounting it. One option is to purchase another speaker and mount it somewhere in the cab. I'd prefer not to do that, so I was thinking I could cut the top out of the cubby that sits underneath the stock stereo (for those with power windows this would not work) and have the speaker exposed to the cubby. Seemed like a brilliant idea at first but now I'm wondering what the sound quality will be like?

Has anyone tried this before or have any input on speaker acoustics for something like that?

I have the 880, love it. I mounted mine directly on the dash above the radio. I thought about adding an external speaker but it is more than loud enough.

Attachments

• 1452015395502.jpg
    1452015395502.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 80

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Funny I was just talking to my friend about doing something like this, well the dash mounting like you are planning. Does the new stereo have an aux input? I would see if you can tie that into the cb and be able to use your stock speakers :thumb:

JeepDrum

Funny I was just talking to my friend about doing something like this, well the dash mounting like you are planning. Does the new stereo have an aux input? I would see if you can tie that into the cb and be able to use your stock speakers :thumb:
I'm installing my little uniden 520 this weekend hopefully (not in the dash though). I was looking at external speakers in case I decided I needed one after the install. This seems like a good idea though!

Edit:
If there's room next to the radio, you could mount one of these. Then, just run an aux cord between the cb and head unit when the cb is in use and the head unit's aux port is still free.
ba792d710bb3e0836dea259dc0c644df.jpg

Last edited:

swampdog

I'm installing my little uniden 520 this weekend hopefully (not in the dash though). I was looking at external speakers in case I decided I needed one after the install. This seems like a good idea though!

I'm installing my 520 this weekend as well and am mounting in on the passenger side of the lower center console. To have the display facing the driver, the speaker will be firing down at the console. I am contemplating flipping it upside down in the mount to be able to hear it better but will have to toy with it either way.

WarriorJeep

I found that the only way I could properly hear the CB or my Ham radio was to install an external speaker. Went to the local communications shop (in my case it was A-1 Communications, a provider of commercial radio products and services. Ask a firefighter or a cop who fixes their radios perhaps) and bought Two 3x3 speakers and installed them as shown.

Paid $15 each for them, they are branded Yaesu, came with a 12 foot cable and 1/4 jack so it was plug and play.

This is the area which houses the factory speaker in the dashboard, drivers side at your knee. I wedged them both in there side by side and they haven't moved since. Great audio too...
20160105_112337 1.jpg 20160105_112325 1.jpg

xxJWPxx

Good idea! The new stereo does have an aux input. Might have to try that out.

I spoke with one of the local stereo shops in my area this afternoon and was told to put my cell phone on speakerphone in the cubby and that would give me a good idea of what the cb would potentially sound like. I have to say it actually sounded pretty good. While in the cubby I could hear the speakerphone better than when I had it in my hand in the same general area of the Jeep.

Top Bottom