Pittman arm nut comes loose

Jkguy14

LOSER
I've already tightened up my pitman arm twice. The nut barely comes loose and the washers barely moves but enough to feel it in my steering wheel... I have a 3.5" lift. Rough country Pittman arm... torque specs.... locktite..... is Pittman arm supposed to get pressed into gear box.... any advise...

jeeeep

Hooked
I've already tightened up my pitman arm twice. The nut barely comes loose and the washers barely moves but enough to feel it in my steering wheel... I have a 3.5" lift. Rough country Pittman arm... torque specs.... locktite..... is Pittman arm supposed to get pressed into gear box.... any advise...

after market pitman arms tend to not fit as tight as the stock pitman. because of the looser fit, the nut may be tightened in an attempt to keep the pitman arm from moving but the movement of the pitman arm will apply enough leverage on the nut causing it to loosen up over a few days of normal driving.

If you remove the pitman arm you will probably be able to see where it's been moving on the gear. FYI, before you remove the pitman arm be sure to do something to keep the steering wheel from moving.

your best option is to put the stock pitman arm back on and use a drag link flip to correct the trackbar/draglink symmetry.

So yes, ditch that drop pitman arm, but I was just chatting with someone the other day that had that problem and it turns out RC had shipped out some bad batches that didn't have the right taper. They should replace it for you if you wanted, but I'd just ditch it.

Top Bottom