Jeep Randomly Shut Off While on the Trail

agreenie

This is officially my first post, I have asked around and all I keep getting is "that's weird"...

So I was on the trail last weekend and while accelerating up a hill and attempting to climb a buddy's tire my jeep just completely shut itself off. Temperature gauge was right in the middle, no signs of overheating, plenty of gas (over 3/4 tank) and neither were that steep. I have done both of these things just fine without any problems before. When it turned off I just put it in park turned the key back to take it out, put it back in and started it right back up no problem. I have been driving it since and there has been no issues.

Any ideas at all?

2012 JKU Automatic

rubicrawl

First off welcome and next time give us a wave or introduce yourself and second did you maybe check your battery or maybe something is loose or your accidentally hitting your key turning off I've done that before

WJCO

Meme King
This is officially my first post, I have asked around and all I keep getting is "that's weird"...

So I was on the trail last weekend and while accelerating up a hill and attempting to climb a buddy's tire my jeep just completely shut itself off. Temperature gauge was right in the middle, no signs of overheating, plenty of gas (over 3/4 tank) and neither were that steep. I have done both of these things just fine without any problems before. When it turned off I just put it in park turned the key back to take it out, put it back in and started it right back up no problem. I have been driving it since and there has been no issues.

Any ideas at all?

2012 JKU Automatic

That's weird. Check your carburetor float.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
That's weird. Check your carburetor float.

Seriously? Did you even read what year he has?

Did you try the climb or anything again to see if you can replicate the problem? Does sound weird to me seeing as it wasnt overheating or low on gas or anything. I would assume no codes ever came up correct?

WJCO

Meme King
Seriously? Did you even read what year he has?

Did you try the climb or anything again to see if you can replicate the problem? Does sound weird to me seeing as it wasnt overheating or low on gas or anything. I would assume no codes ever came up correct?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

holy_crap

Hmm, I know on my old TJ, there was an automatic shutdown relay, or ASD. I'm not sure where or if the JK has this, but since its an EFI engine, my guess is it does. I tried google but only results came back for older Jeeps, not JK. Have you checked to see if there are any codes?

mountainkatt

(New here! Already waved!)

Not a JK... but my best friend's LJ kept shutting off when we were wheeling in hot climate. His gauges didn't show overheating, but it turns out with the stereo, AC etc etc, running he was overloading his battery and his alternator couldn't keep up.

Just a thought. Could be totally unrelated :idontknow:

WarriorJeep

Carb float, roflmao

Seriously though, I had a similar experience with my 2015 JKURHR, never did figure out what the issue was. No codes, batt was solid, heck I was just making a uturn on a fire road. Happened twice in same hour period. The second time it happened is when I learned of the "trail recovery" clause tat comes with the Rubicon.
I was apparently looking ata 6 hours wait and canceled the tow once it started again. It has never happened again

WJCO

Meme King
Fords use an inertia switch but it has to be reset manually if tripped. Not sure on Chrysler Jeep if there's anything like that.

I've experienced this a couple times in my 2012 Manual. It was like the Jeep gave up and decided to die. Hasn't done it in a long time, but happened to me like three times last summer. I thought the first time it was because I didn't give it enough gas. So the second and third time I made sure to really step on it. I assumed my tires would of spun but nope, jeep just died. Yes, my traction control was still on but it should still spin a bit before that kicks on.

AlStew

First off welcome and next time give us a wave or introduce yourself and second did you maybe check your battery or maybe something is loose or your accidentally hitting your key turning off I've done that before

Welcome to WAL... Check your battery connection like rubicrawl said! I had issues on the trail once and this was the solution!

duktrx

Fords use an inertia switch but it has to be reset manually if tripped. Not sure on Chrysler Jeep if there's anything like that.

Ah yes the WTF happened while pulling off the interstate sensor. Driving a friends Taurus, evasive move to avoid road debris, hit the rumble strips and tripped some stupid sensor, had to stand on my head to reach the f'n reset switch up under the glove-box.

My Dodge Ram has a rollover sensor in fuel neck kept tripping when the tank was above 3/4 while driving on sharp inclines, self resetting. Had it replaced under warranty after talking to Chrysler, 10 years and the problem has not reappeared. Possible that in our Jeeps they have something similar, but I've seen some crazy angles being traversed and not cutting out.

Just my .02

Top Bottom