Things to check before the warranty expires

GraniteCrystal

Jeep is at the mechanic today getting looked over before the warranty expires in a few thousand miles. Is there anything specific anyone would recommend that he look at? Its a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon

WJCO

Meme King
Jeep is at the mechanic today getting looked over before the warranty expires in a few thousand miles. Is there anything specific anyone would recommend that he look at? Its a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon

Specifically powertrain stuff. Eng/Trans/Diffs. Also, might as well check for play in all steering/susp components.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hopefully everything turns out good for you, I am about 5,000 out and need to take mine i as well.

jeepjedi

I've only kept one car long enough to be there but I nit picked every little rattle, weather strip not quite right etc. I could find and I was surprised how much dealer replaced for me. Ask for the sky, nothing to lose.

WarriorJeep

I have 22k on mine now and already had them replace several pieces of the remaining stock suspension components. Had them replace the brake pads and rotors too, as they were worn past half. Haven't decided what else needs attention yet, I think when spring hits it will be close to the B2B warranty limit and will see then.

Speaking of B2B warranties, did you know that on the Rubicon models it includes trail recovery in the event of breakage... free... anywhere in the continental US... and will cover you from wherever on the trail you break to the nearest Jeep dealership service center.

GraniteCrystal

I have 22k on mine now and already had them replace several pieces of the remaining stock suspension components. Had them replace the brake pads and rotors too, as they were worn past half. Haven't decided what else needs attention yet, I think when spring hits it will be close to the B2B warranty limit and will see then.

Speaking of B2B warranties, did you know that on the Rubicon models it includes trail recovery in the event of breakage... free... anywhere in the continental US... and will cover you from wherever on the trail you break to the nearest Jeep dealership service center.

Seriously? Any trail I break down on they'll come get me? Does the extended warranty cover that too? That sounds crazy awesome

WarriorJeep

No, as it was explained to me, it only applies to the original owner, and the oriw bumper to bumper warranty

GraniteCrystal

Only thing that showed up was a whistle in the door jam I already knew about and some play in the slip joint on the front drive shaft. Something to be concerned about? Think I should get new drive shaft from dealer?

WJCO

Meme King
Only thing that showed up was a whistle in the door jam I already knew about and some play in the slip joint on the front drive shaft. Something to be concerned about? Think I should get new drive shaft from dealer?

Might as well. But are you planning on lifting it? If you do, you'll probably have to get an aftermarket DC one anyway to eliminate the rzeppa joint. For the time being, if it's under warranty, I would have them do it.

GraniteCrystal

Might as well. But are you planning on lifting it? If you do, you'll probably have to get an aftermarket DC one anyway to eliminate the rzeppa joint. For the time being, if it's under warranty, I would have them do it.

Planning on just doing a 2.5" BB with 35" tires and some trimmed fenders. Would love if they'd give me the money towards an upgraded drive shaft but don't think it works that way.

OK, noob question. DC one? Rzeppa joint?

WJCO

Meme King
Planning on just doing a 2.5" BB with 35" tires and some trimmed fenders. Would love if they'd give me the money towards an upgraded drive shaft but don't think it works that way.

OK, noob question. DC one? Rzeppa joint?

Rzeppa joints are the CV (constant velocity) style. Great joints but they don't handle steeper angles well. So when you lift the vehicle, they wear out much quicker. On a JK, I'm not sure if 2.5 lift will cause any issues with that, Other guys on here will know for sure. DC (Double Cardin) is what you want to switch to as the ujoints handle the steeper angles better.

JeepDriveShafts.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Rzeppa joints are the CV (constant velocity) style. Great joints but they don't handle steeper angles well. So when you lift the vehicle, they wear out much quicker. On a JK, I'm not sure if 2.5 lift will cause any issues with that, Other guys on here will know for sure. DC (Double Cardin) is what you want to switch to as the ujoints handle the steeper angles better.

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Wasn't thinking I'd need to change much of anything with a 2.5 BB so hope some others will comment on if the Rzeppa will need to be changed to DC.

WJCO

Meme King
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Wasn't thinking I'd need to change much of anything with a 2.5 BB so hope some others will comment on if the Rzeppa will need to be changed to DC.

NP. Hopefully you won't need one. If you do need a new one, there was a guy around here awhile ago that was trying to sell a new Teraflex product that supposedly 'eliminated' the Rpezza problem, but no one that I know of has used it yet. If you do need a new drive shaft, the DC style is tried and true and has worked for years.

Top Bottom