2015 6spd Manual Chatter with Low miles. Please help!

TJeep_1999

2015 6spd manual makes this chattering sound especially when accelerating and under load. No noise in neutral. It is an intermittent issue that occurs in all gears except reverse. If I put pressure on the stick, the rattle goes away. Dealer is saying this is normal operation but it did not make this noise when new. It only has 4K miles on it. Bone stock. I've seen a few posts on this, but not any resolution. Has anyone had this noise and been able to get the dealer to fix it under warranty? What was the fix? Thanks in advance.

As FYI I removed the shift knob and actually sent it back to the shop that made it. The shift knob is NOT causing the sound you are hearing.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
2015 6spd manual makes this chattering sound especially when accelerating and under load. No noise in neutral. Dealer is saying this is normal operation but it did not make this noise when new. It only has 4K miles on it. Bone stock. I've seen a few posts on this, but not any resolution. Has anyone had this noise and been able to get the dealer to fix it under warranty? What was the fix? Thanks in advance.

Video didn't load... Will try and post when I get home this afternoon.

Sounds clutch-related, but post the video please. Does it occur in all gears?

Riley Moss

It has happened to my two door 6spd what they did was take apart the four wheel drive selector lever and reassemble it. it stopped for awhile then came back then it stopped again and hasn't made a noise yet. I don't wanna say it's the nature of the beast because they all have quirks but who knows. They couldn't give me a definite answer.

TJeep_1999

Sounds clutch-related, but post the video please. Does it occur in all gears?

Video posted with additional details in the original post.

It has happened to my two door 6spd what they did was take apart the four wheel drive selector lever and reassemble it. it stopped for awhile then came back then it stopped again and hasn't made a noise yet. I don't wanna say it's the nature of the beast because they all have quirks but who knows. They couldn't give me a definite answer.

Was your noise constant or only when it was in gear like mine?

Sessoms14X

I couldn't tell ya what your problem is but I'll say it definitely isn't working right. I've had 2 manual jks, a 12 and a 14 and neither of them did any of that. Definitely take it in and have them figure it out.

TJeep_1999

I couldn't tell ya what your problem is but I'll say it definitely isn't working right. I've had 2 manual jks, a 12 and a 14 and neither of them did any of that. Definitely take it in and have them figure it out.

I did... dealer kept it over the weekend, topped off the tranny fluid, then told me they are noisy transmissions, but it is functioning perfectly and that this is normal. I've heard of others having similar issues at the dealer. I'm wondering what the ultimate resolution was or even better a TSB number I could bring with me when I take it back. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you're Jeep is so new, I find it difficult to believe that it could be what we had but it sure sounds like it.

In the end, it turned out to be a chipped tooth on our rear pinion.

Having worked in the car business for almost 20 years now (most of which has been Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep) I can most assuredly tell you there are good service depts and there are lazy service depts but I'm sure you already knew that! First thing i would do is get another dealer to look at it provided there is another one close by and in doing so actually get someone who is interested in helping you.

If this works then problem solved... Plan B would be to ask your dealer for the name of the Chrysler service rep for your area. Remember that asking the dealer thats giving you fits might be tricky because if they aren't helping you they may also be reluctant to hand this info out being that its like calling the police on themselves. They may tell you there is none or that they cant do that or give you some other lame excuse... Bullshit! Ultimately you may have to call another dealerships service dept and explain your plight and ask for your reps name and phone number... A competitor will almost always give it to you just be persistent.

Once you get it explain to the rep your situation and they will almost always set an appt to meet with you at the local dealerships service dept to try and get your issue rectified. You have a warranty and doing anything at this point other than getting Chrysler to fix it would be silly.

TJeep_1999

Being that you're Jeep is so new, I find it difficult to believe that it could be what we had but it sure sounds like it.

In the end, it turned out to be a chipped tooth on our rear pinion.

I read the above post... I think you also had an aftermarket rear axle in this case. I think I'll take Blazindevl's advice and go to another dealer then ask for a rep if they don't help me there. If it comes to the rep I'll bring up the axle. I think I'll leave that in my back pocket for now. The first dealer was actually great replacing bad seals that were leaking on the hard top so I figured they would be good for this as well. It just seems like it's a lot of issues on a brand new 4k mile $30K vehicle. I don't believe build quality was in any way a focus on the JK's. That's another topic though. It'll probably be next week sometime before I can bring it to the other dealer. I'll post back here on the results. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read the above post... I think you also had an aftermarket rear axle in this case. I think I'll take Blazindevl's advice and go to another dealer then ask for a rep if they don't help me there. If it comes to the rep I'll bring up the axle. I think I'll leave that in my back pocket for now. The first dealer was actually great replacing bad seals that were leaking on the hard top so I figured they would be good for this as well. It just seems like it's a lot of issues on a brand new 4k mile $30K vehicle. I don't believe build quality was in any way a focus on the JK's. That's another topic though. It'll probably be next week sometime before I can bring it to the other dealer. I'll post back here on the results. Thanks!

Yeah, we had an aftermarket rear axle but that shouldn't make a difference. A ring and pinion is a ring and pinion and all I was saying is that's what the problem ultimately was for us. It's pretty easy to remove the rear diff cover and give things a look.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Does your axle not have a ring and pinion?

What the hell difference does it make if the axle is aftermarket or not?

swampdog

Does your axle not have a ring and pinion?

What the hell difference does it make if the axle is aftermarket or not?

My guess is since he is looking for a warranty claim, it isn't apples to apples since Eddie's axle was aftermarket and in his case, his would have to be an unaltered rear for the warranty to pick it up if it was, in fact, the ring and pinion.

To your point, I think OP missed Eddie's message that he should recommend that they check the ring and pinion as the source of the problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To your point, I think OP missed Eddie's message that he should recommend that they check the ring and pinion as the source of the problem.

This ^^^^

Or, you can always open up the diff cover and give it a look yourself.

james2003w

That is not a pretty noise. I have a '15 Un Rubicon that is stock (except for the rubber on the ground) sitting pretty with 24k. No sound like that.

Top Bottom