Alternative brake options

Pyro1415

Alright guys so after about 8000 miles of my wife driving I had a caliper and rear passenger inside pad failure. The caliper was bad from manufacturer and since I had purchase the platinum pads last time everything was free replacement. So advance auto parts was pretty decent about that, now I'm still kinda pissed I had a brake failure with both kids in the jeep but everyone came out okay.

So I just installed new pads on all four corners, two new rotors in the back, and one new caliper in the back.

Braised? I think that's the spelling to the pads, you know a quick break in. After which I tested 60 to 0 with a very firm stop.

0 to 60 testing
First one with them still hot was 5.36 seconds and that was to the jeep rocked forward after stopping.

Second after letting them cool for 2 minutes and a little more firm. 4.78 seconds.

Under a panic stop or brake check I could see low 4s maybe high 3s.

This is rolling 37s on a jku.

Pyro1415

I'd be really interested in seeing what dynatrac, horror flex or mopar brake kits offer while new and on a similarly equipped jeep.

Just posted this because it's roughly 100 in pads and they have lifetime replacement. Plus high 4 seconds 60 to 0 is pretty darn good. So for all my poorer brothers, help yourselves. Feel free to ask any questions.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Alright guys so after about 8000 miles of my wife driving I had a caliper and rear passenger inside pad failure. The caliper was bad from manufacturer and since I had purchase the platinum pads last time everything was free replacement. So advance auto parts was pretty decent about that, now I'm still kinda pissed I had a brake failure with both kids in the jeep but everyone came out okay.

So I just installed new pads on all four corners, two new rotors in the back, and one new caliper in the back.

Braised? I think that's the spelling to the pads, you know a quick break in. After which I tested 60 to 0 with a very firm stop.

0 to 60 testing
First one with them still hot was 5.36 seconds and that was to the jeep rocked forward after stopping.

Second after letting them cool for 2 minutes and a little more firm. 4.78 seconds.

Under a panic stop or brake check I could see low 4s maybe high 3s.

This is rolling 37s on a jku.

I think you meant to say "60mph to zero testing". Next, testing the amount of time it takes to stop may not be as relevant as measuring the number of feet to stop. Time can be a little subjective to environment whereas measuring feet is more reliable and scientifically accurate.

Comparing brake systems from one vehicle to another is almost pointless unless the vehicles are identical in weight and using the same tires. Basically what I'm trying to say is that while I appreciate why you'd like to see real-world numbers from different brake systems, you can't reliably compare them. It's not apples to apples.

If you're looking for recommendations, I'd suggest the Dynatrac Progrips. There are a few members here now running them and Eddie's even posted up a video of their install and performance during a braking scenario. Go check it out. :thumb:

Pyro1415

I think you meant to say "60mph to zero testing". Next, testing the amount of time it takes to stop may not be as relevant as measuring the number of feet to stop. Time can be a little subjective to environment whereas measuring feet is more reliable and scientifically accurate.

Comparing brake systems from one vehicle to another is almost pointless unless the vehicles are identical in weight and using the same tires. Basically what I'm trying to say is that while I appreciate why you'd like to see real-world numbers from different brake systems, you can't reliably compare them. It's not apples to apples.

If you're looking for recommendations, I'd suggest the Dynatrac Progrips. There are a few members here now running them and Eddie's even posted up a video of their install and performance during a braking scenario. Go check it out. :thumb:

Sorry never got a notification. Yeah I realize even air/ground temperature, humidity and grade of asphalt can effect braking let alone the thousand of options on the jeep. Time is still a relative way to measure. Easier than distance too. But yeah sorry I will not be upgrading to the pro stops anytime soon. I'm sure they're a great product but these pads did a great job and there are cheaper upgrades I can do to get more performance. Maybe after I upgrade to a v8... But I need to find and read an article that actually does a stock to pro stop comparison in distance and or time. 4.5 seconds is roughly 270ft which isn't that good but better than expected for a firm stop.

JohnDoe

has anyone tried? the teraflex big brae kit

Yes I have Teraflex BBK and they made a huge improvement over stock brakes with 37's.
I was thinking about ProGrips but $1000 for rotors and brackets make no sense.
I'll take two piston caliper any day over stock single piston jk caliper.

Pyro1415

Yes I have Teraflex BBK and they made a huge improvement over stock brakes with 37's.

Good to hear. How much are replacement pads/rotors? You should post up feet or time to stop from 60.

jk12blk

Good to hear. How much are replacement pads/rotors? You should post up feet or time to stop from 60.
I think Teraflex has a video on YouTube which shows before/after braking distance. I'm running TF's big brake w/ 40's - no complaints. I assume the dynatrac brake upgrade is better because it addresses all four corners.

Pyro1415

I think Teraflex has a video on YouTube which shows before/after braking distance. I'm running TF's big brake w/ 40's - no complaints. I assume the dynatrac brake upgrade is better because it addresses all four corners.

Tf has an all four corners option too. Yes but I do not have normal stock brakes that's why I'd like to see a time/feet especially if the stock brakes in their video were worn.

I'm really debating mopar front and the Dynatrac or tf rear. When I do finally upgrade them.

srosario

when u guys say u have the teraflex big brake, is that the product that just has the bigger rotors and brackets, or is that the one that brings the caliper set up?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

The Teraflex kit is $730??

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Says the guy who wasted his money on orange knuckles.

allwhitejeeps

If the teraflex kit is 700 to just upgrade the front I would definitely pay another 300 for the dynatrac kit. With dynatracs service and performance it is worth it in my opinion

Pyro1415

If the teraflex kit is 700 to just upgrade the front I would definitely pay another 300 for the dynatrac kit. With dynatracs service and performance it is worth it in my opinion

Now let me say I'm not a particular fan of teraflex because they way they've handled some issues. But I highly doubt the dynatrac kit will have better performance, now service might be a different story. But for an extra I think 150 you get all four corners and new 2 piston calipers on the front which takes it to a whole new ballpark.

Personally I would buy the mopar kit for the front and the dynatrac rear to go with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom