Prorock 44

D.B.

Is a Prorock 44 strong enough, without additional brace work, to run 37's on a two door JK Rubicon that gets worked on the trails?

Angry Aussie

Still can't believe that thing was stolen! I wonder where it ended up and what's happened to it by this point. I hope some horrible things have happened to the assholess who stole it.

DGP

I just ordered a prorock 44 from trail jeeps. I talked with dynatrac before I ordered it and they said 37" are no problem and recommended to go with the unlimited housing which is 1/2" thick wall tubing. They actually said it is not really needed for 37's but was good cheap insurance. I went with RCV 35 spline axles and ARB which everyone I've talked to has said should be plenty of axle for 37's

jorgelrod

Hooked
I just ordered a prorock 44 from trail jeeps. I talked with dynatrac before I ordered it and they said 37" are no problem and recommended to go with the unlimited housing which is 1/2" thick wall tubing. They actually said it is not really needed for 37's but was good cheap insurance. I went with RCV 35 spline axles and ARB which everyone I've talked to has said should be plenty of axle for 37's

^^^ this is a good setup, I would skip the RCV's though, they seem to be a pain to fulfill their lifetime waranty claim, plus full circle clips are plenty strong and half the price...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is a Prorock 44 strong enough, without additional brace work, to run 37's on a two door JK Rubicon that gets worked on the trails?

Just adding to the list of people who have already confirmed that the ProRock 44 is all that you will need. Don't waste your money on additional brace work that lesser axle housings may need.

D.B.

Thanks for all the great input folks........looks like I have my plan! Would you guys agree that the rear D44 housing is fine or should it be upgraded as well with 37's?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for all the great input folks........looks like I have my plan! Would you guys agree that the rear D44 housing is fine or should it be upgraded as well with 37's?

the rear d44 is a true d44 so it can withstand 37's easily.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Unless you're planning on running coil overs and do a lot of bombing through the desert, your factory rear 44 should hold up. I see you're in Indiana - I would think you'd be fine.

D.B.

Understood.....thanks again. Yes I am located in Indiana. No plans on running fast through any terrain but I do plan on moving out west and take advantage of the rocks and more technical trails. Also want to hit the Rubicon at some point in life. As with most others I don't want to face another upgrade down the road.....wanna do it right the first time and be done with it.

Any other specific upgrades I should be looking at moving to 37's? Such as steering hardware or whatever?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Understood.....thanks again. Yes I am located in Indiana. No plans on running fast through any terrain but I do plan on moving out west and take advantage of the rocks and more technical trails.

Cool. If you ever make it out as far as NV or CA, you'll have to join us out on the trail.

JKbrick

the rear d44 is a true d44 so it can withstand 37's easily.

Your response made me look at Dynatrac's site again. This must be why they don't offer a 44 rear axle housing, but they do offer rear axle shafts. I wonder how the specs of the stock rear tubes compare to a pro rock 44 front? Can you tell if their replacement shafts fit rubicons?

metalic

Understood.....thanks again. Yes I am located in Indiana. No plans on running fast through any terrain but I do plan on moving out west and take advantage of the rocks and more technical trails. Also want to hit the Rubicon at some point in life. As with most others I don't want to face another upgrade down the road.....wanna do it right the first time and be done with it.

Any other specific upgrades I should be looking at moving to 37's? Such as steering hardware or whatever?

Where at in Indiana? I see your favorite trail is Badlands. We frequent the as its under 2hrs. away bit if you want better rocks head to Southerb Missouri.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your response made me look at Dynatrac's site again. This must be why they don't offer a 44 rear axle housing, but they do offer rear axle shafts. I wonder how the specs of the stock rear tubes compare to a pro rock 44 front? Can you tell if their replacement shafts fit rubicons?

The factory front Rubicon 44 front axle uses 2.5" tubes that are only .25" thick. This is essentially what a Dana 30 uses and that's why the Rubicon 44 is really only a 44 by name. Sure, the diff is still bigger and therefore allows for a bigger ring and pinon and beefier shafts but the "housing" and knuckles are basically a Dana 30.

The rear Dana 44 axle on a JK uses 3" tubes that are .25" thick and that's what makes it a "true" Dana 44. You still will have bending issues if you drive hard and fast enough but for crawling, it'll hold up fine. If anything, were you will see the downfalls of a factory 44 is in the semi-float shafts as the flanges WILL bend with hard use. I should note, the flanges WILL bend REGARDLESS of what fancy and expensive shafts you choose to run. If you play hard enough, the best option is to get something like a Dynatrac Trail 60.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
The factory front Rubicon 44 front axle uses 2.5" tubes that are only .25" thick. This is essentially what a Dana 30 uses and that's why the Rubicon 44 is really only a 44 by name. Sure, the diff is still bigger and therefore allows for a bigger ring and pinon and beefier shafts but the "housing" and knuckles are basically a Dana 30.

The rear Dana 44 axle on a JK uses 3" tubes that are .25" thick and that's what makes it a "true" Dana 44. You still will have bending issues if you drive hard and fast enough but for crawling, it'll hold up fine. If anything, were you will see the downfalls of a factory 44 is in the semi-float shafts as the flanges WILL bend with hard use. I should note, the flanges WILL bend REGARDLESS of what fancy and expensive shafts you choose to run. If you play hard enough, the best option is to get something like a Dynatrac Trail 60.

Very helpful information. What would be the weak point in running a PR44? For heavy use per say. Ring and pinion?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very helpful information. What would be the weak point in running a PR44? For heavy use per say. Ring and pinion?

So long as you stick to running 37's and with 5.13 gears or lower, ProSteer ball joints and good chromoly shafts with full circle clips - you shouldn't have any real weak points running a ProRock 44. Your unit bearings will still be the same as factory and they will need to be replaced sooner than later especially being that in order to run 37's, you really want to run them on wheels with less back spacing.

Top Bottom