CB Radio

Harley74

Ok so my birthday is this month and the wife asked what I would like so I told her CB radio for the jeep. So can you tell me what you have, set up, pro and cons and some pictures were you have them mounted. Thanks

I bought the Cobra 29 LX.

I like the instant on weather feature if there's a weather warning in the area.

I like the fact that I can change the color of the display.

It's a nice radio for a decent price in my opinion. Bought mine on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RO3RBE?keywords=cobra 29 lx&qid=1452438653&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I originally mounted it off the overhead footman loop using the Strike Force Zebra mount.

https://www.strikeforcezebra.com/cbgpsradar_detector_mount

image.jpeg

Unfortunately, the radio was so close to the windshield that the coax got kinked and really started to fuck up my reception/transmission.

So I ended up mounting it on the dash. Which is OK but not the ideal spot for me.

image.jpg

I plan on moving it back up top after I install a cage later on in my build.

ncbmx64

I just installed a Cobra 29 lx I installed it under the rear view mirror using the Rugged Ridge mount. I haven't received my antenna yet so have no report on how the radio is but looks like a lot of people are running the Cobra and are happy with it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452379242.946480.jpg

Harley74

Thanks for the info and pics, still doing my research but it seems pretty cut and dry with the CB's, just a personal preference. Am I wrong to assume this?

ncbmx64

Yes it has a lot to do with personal preference and also do you want a full sized radio or a smaller hand held set up. When I was researching CB's I found the most common ones guys were using were the Cobra 75, Cobra 29, Uniden Bearcat 880, and the Uniden 980. There are many others to choose from it will just depend on your wants and needs.

pop2tu

I used the Rugged Ridge footman loop mount. I took the top off the radio and drilled through the top cover then bolted it directly to the RR mount. It sits up about an inch higher, doesn't interfere with mirror, and doesn't vibrate. image.jpg

Pyro1415

Mounted below the steering wheel. I'm 5'10" no problems with it other than an occasional bump while jumping in or out.

RJEEPO

Lincoln II overhead. I went with this mount as want to put up 2 radios piggy backed and have some other components as well. still a work in progress. went with fender mounting a firestick using their fire ring. trying to do as much bonding as possible with copper strap. ultimately would like a 108" whip off the okole side :) bit by bit, just happy to have ears again though it's super quiet usually.

IMG_0892.jpg

WarriorJeep

Here's what I'm running currently, a un8den pro 560xl and a yaesu ft-7800 for vhf and uhf. 4 foot firestick for the CB, and a Larsen 2/70 NMO for the vhf/uhf. Used the factory am fm antenna location for the ham radio. Not much interested in am fm radio anyway, I stick with xm and the hdd for my music.

Ultimately I think I'm going to combine both radios into one, an icom 706MKIIG will do everything I need in one radio. Of course I will have to do an "illegal" mod to the icom but cest la vie, I guess I'll be a pariah among the ham community and be happy all at the same time.

20151005_175842.jpg

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Running a Cobra 75WX ST, Cooltech Versamount, and 3ft Firestick. In my opinion a nice compact radio. No complaints here but others have said a its not loud enough so they've added an external speaker. So far volume has not been an issue for me. All in all I'm happy with the route I went.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454303197.382193.jpg

Harley74

Just a update, I finally ordered and installed my cb radio. I went with the Cobra 29 LX and rugged ridge mount. Thanks for all the input and pictures!

Attachments

• 1454590959655.jpg
    1454590959655.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 162

Harley74

Lincoln II overhead. I went with this mount as want to put up 2 radios piggy backed and have some other components as well. still a work in progress. went with fender mounting a firestick using their fire ring. trying to do as much bonding as possible with copper strap. ultimately would like a 108" whip off the okole side :) bit by bit, just happy to have ears again though it's super quiet usually.

View attachment 185440

What is the center console that you have over head. Like that and would like to get something like that down the road.

Chris99

I also like the overhead storage. Looks like it might be the Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Overhead Console, not sure.

Top Bottom