CB install help

ncbmx64

Just installed my CB and followed the write up by wayalife. I ran the coax cable through the 3rd break light plug like in the write up but how do I get the rubber plug back in with the coax cable. Do I need to cut a slit in the rubber plug?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452379335.789807.jpg

Skid_Kid

Just installed my CB and followed the write up by wayalife. I ran the coax cable through the 3rd break light plug like in the write up but how do I get the rubber plug back in with the coax cable. Do I need to cut a slit in the rubber plug?

View attachment 181601

You should have poked a hole in the plug and ran the cable through it, but yes a cut it and make a hole for the cable to sit in, then use some super glue or hot glue to re-seal the slit so it will not have a chance of water intrusion.

ncbmx64

Thanks I will give that a try. I ran the cable from the CB to the tailgate so couldn't poke a hole in the plug as the cable I purchased had the fire ring on it.

ST3LLA

I poke the cable through the rubber vent part under the carrier in the back and then across the strap that holds on the tailgate.

WarriorJeep

Rather than cut the plug and try t glue it back together, wouldn't it make more sense to unsolder the PL259 connecter, poke a hole in the grommet and slide it thru, then solder it back? would retain the integrity of the grommet that way. Its basically what I did and its been problem free

ncbmx64

I ended up taking a razor blade and cutting a slit in the grommet and it worked fine. Didnt have any glue or silicone so will pick some up tomorrow to make sure no leaks in the future. Thanks for all the help!

WJCO

Meme King
I ended up taking a razor blade and cutting a slit in the grommet and it worked fine. Didnt have any glue or silicone so will pick some up tomorrow to make sure no leaks in the future. Thanks for all the help!

I've done something similar on mine for running wire. This crap works awesome:

070798006942lg.jpg

ncbmx64

I just installed a cobra 29 lx with a 3' firestik ii. I am trying to set up the SWR. Followed instructions in the manual and have 1.2 SWR according to SWR meter integrated in cb (don't have a external meter to check) on all channels. My question is regardless of how I adjust the antenna tip (shorten or lengthen) it doesn't change doesn't go higher or lower. I would assume that it would change the SWR some when adjusting the antenna. Is this normal or do I potentially have a problem

swampdog

I just installed a cobra 29 lx with a 3' firestik ii. I am trying to set up the SWR. Followed instructions in the manual and have 1.2 SWR according to SWR meter integrated in cb (don't have a external meter to check) on all channels. My question is regardless of how I adjust the antenna tip (shorten or lengthen) it doesn't change doesn't go higher or lower. I would assume that it would change the SWR some when adjusting the antenna. Is this normal or do I potentially have a problem

The SWR should change as you lengthen / shorten the tip. Just got mine dialed in yesterday after I installed it (Uniden 520) this weekend with a 3' Firestik Firefly. When running a radio check, are you getting any response?

ncbmx64

The SWR should change as you lengthen / shorten the tip. Just got mine dialed in yesterday after I installed it (Uniden 520) this weekend with a 3' Firestik Firefly. When running a radio check, are you getting any response?

I tried adjusting it and swr did not change guess I need to keep messing with it. I got one response yesterday and they said it was a loud and clear but he was pretty close.

Eugene the Jeep

If you have a scrap piece of wire, you can connect it one of the mounting bolts on the mount and connect connect it to good ground on the frame and see if it makes a difference

ncbmx64

yes its the evo mount so its powder coated I will grind some off the top and bottom of the mount where the fire ring and antenna mount and see if that makes any difference. Thanks!!

Top Bottom