Easy Winter Trails? - South Lake Tahoe

Charlie Mike

Anyone know any easy Winter trails in the South Lake Tahoe area?

A buddy of mine got a time share for our group of our friends and I literally just want to putt around in the snow somewhere. Anyone know of an easy snow trails? Always wanted to whomp around in the snow. :thumb:

Charlie Mike

Depends on how much snow is up there by the time you get there. A lot of the trails get closed for the winter and it's hard to say what you'll be able to run. Whatever you do, please go prepaired and let someone know where you're going. See article below:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3139-Always-Be-Prepared

This just happend.

Wow. Very sad indeed. :bummed:

Well maybe I'll get my snow-fix and just stick to an open snow covered field or parking lot until I can go with a group. I'm bound to find a patch of snow somewhere up there. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Very sad indeed. :bummed:

Well maybe I'll get my snow-fix and just stick to an open snow covered field or parking lot until I can go with a group. I'm bound to find a patch of snow somewhere up there. :thumb:

I know that BlackDiamondBound made a run up to Wrights Lake about a month ago and there was some good snow there. That's off the 50 just down a bit from Sierra at Tahoe if you've never been there before. Again, don't know if it's still open but, it might be worth giving a look. Of course, there's always the back way into the Rubicon. You might be able to make it as far as Lilly Lake if it's open and not burried.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I don't know when you are coming, but FYI there are some storms coming in this weekend.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
If you come down into Reno you can find some trails that have snow on them and are open. :rock:

The snow level has been dropping, there is still a good couple feet of snow at 4000 ft from the last storm, and this next storm is suppose to dump pretty good. El Dorado NFS closes all dirt FS roads and trails in the winter even if there is not a sign posted your not suppose to be on it.

As for Wrights Lake, its a paved road all the way so its open and doesnt have gates, they just dont plow it. Its good for the begining of the season when the snow level is still high but after this coming storm I would highly recommend not going up this road if its covered in snow. The road from 50 is narrow and climes over 1000 feet in elevation with an extremely steep cliff all the way up. Very little room for error if you start sliding.

If you dont mind driving down from south lake a little farther to pollock pines, there is mormon emigrant trail. This is the safest place by fair. its a paved road that connects 50 to 88 and has 24 miles of snow with gradual incline from 4k feet to 7k on the 88 side. It has plenty of snow right now, nice and wide and lots of wheelers around playing. Careful driving in tho, I was up there earlier this week and hit black ice 2 times on the road coming from 50.

Last edited:
Top Bottom