MetalCloak Game-Change 2.5" Lift - 6-Pack Edition

So I thought I would do a quick writeup of my experience with the Metal Cloak 2.5" lift and the infamous 6-Pack shocks.

After really looking at things, and what I received from MetalCloak.

Photo-2015-12-08-14-11-13_3463.JPG

First box I opened were the front shocks. capable of doing 16 inches of travel, which is pretty Outstanding IMO.

Photo-2015-12-08-14-16-00_3464.JPG

After this I sort of went a bit crazy and decided to open everything up.

Photo-2015-12-08-14-16-11_3466.JPG

Each box came labeled, and was easy to read, and understand what was in it.

Photo-2015-12-08-14-16-14_3467.JPG

Shocks looked awesome... They are solid, and seem sturdy. Not flimsy at all...

I started by removing all of the links, and replacing them with the newer metalcloak links. It was pretty easy, but I do have to say that its a GOOD idea to read the directions to avoid sawing off your exhaust instead of the bolt that is the issue... RTFM! Lesson learned!

Photo-2015-12-20-11-16-33_3599.JPG

Things went relatively easy. We removed everything, and just started adding the links after the fact.

Photo-2015-12-20-12-21-38_3600.JPG

Photo-2015-12-20-12-25-03_3602.JPG

I wanted to test how much travel these shocks, and springs allowed for, and to be honest, I am pretty impressed!

Photo-2015-12-20-20-07-17_3606.JPG

here is another shot of the 6 packs. 16 inches of travel in the front, and 14 inches in the rear. They modified the shocks so the red sticks out towards the tire instead of the rear as depicted, and explained in the manual... damn manual!

Photo-2015-12-21-18-02-18_3618.JPG

While I was buttoneing things up, I decided to mount the light bar towers... Light bar was like 150 bucks, and the supports are actually pretty sturdy... pretty happy with them!

Photo-2015-12-22-12-57-15_3623.JPG

Put the factory tires back on, and went to test the clearances, and notice that the factory tires, with rims DO RUB... Metal Cloak says that you really want about 5-5.5 inches of back space so you do not rub anything at all. I have the Hutchinson Rock Monsters on the way, should have been mailed sometime this week. They have a 4.8 inch back spacing IIRC. So I will be getting a 1 inch spacer to bring it out even more.

Photo-2015-12-22-13-06-38_3624.JPG

Finished Front,

Photo-2015-12-22-13-06-52_3625.JPG

Unfinished Rear.

Photo-2015-12-22-13-07-18_3626.JPG

Front measurements is about 10 inches.

Photo-2015-12-22-13-07-41_3627.JPG

Rear measurement comes out to 5.5 inches. I am sure there will be some settling, and more than likely I will have to remove 1 or 2 of the front spacers. This Jeep had the tow package, and I think they put spacers in there to level the vehicle out, I believe the towing rear springs raise it about 2 inches.

Photo-2015-12-20-11-11-01_3598.JPG

These are the spacers that were installed from the factory (I believe). So I may have to remove these to bring it down a bit.. Once I get the rear installed I will know more about leveling, and just how things look.

Until tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
So got some great work done this weekend! Rear suspension is pretty much done! I still have to replace a bolt that I had to cut off because it was severely damaged, and hook breaks back up, bleed them, and hook the sway bars up.

Photo-2015-12-26-11-48-56_3638.JPG

This is the bolt I had to cut... Doh! But the good news is I have 2 new ones on order, and should be here on Tuesday.

Photo-2015-12-26-11-51-27_3639.JPG

As I was loosening it. this little guy decided to sheer off.

Photo-2015-12-26-12-02-37_3641.JPG

The most daunting task was modifying the rear axle. You have to remove the stock shock mount off, and cut about 2 inches off of the bottom of the axle.

I took my dewalt reciprocating saw and removed the old shock bracket.

Photo-2015-12-26-12-03-09_3642.JPG

This method seemed to be the easiest way for me to cut things straight without being bound up under the vehicle with an angle grinder with a cutting disc.

Photo-2015-12-26-12-07-29_3643.JPG

After a couple of minutes of working through it... I got the lower shock mount off.

Photo-2015-12-26-12-20-45_3644.JPG

Because I had extra time on my hand, I decided to grind it down... LOL Sort of a waste of time, but helped with my lines.

Photo-2015-12-26-12-51-11_3646.JPG

Took the reciprocating saw again, and nobbed off the bottom peice.. you can see I was able to get it pretty close to the silver line that I painted on there as my baseline. (USE METALIC PAINT!)

Photo-2015-12-26-12-58-24_3647.JPG

after a bit of grinding and everything and drilling out the second hole for the mount, I was able to get everything nice and smooth, and rounded.

Photo-2015-12-26-13-03-34_3648.JPG

I was able to get some good paint on there, to drop any rust, but will probably get it touched up with something a little better...

Photo-2015-12-26-13-04-10_3650.JPG

better picture of the paint job...

Photo-2015-12-26-16-35-37_3651.JPG

Drivers side was a little better after learning from the passenger side! Links went on very easily, and well

Photo-2015-12-26-18-15-26_3652.JPG

Shocks went on well and easy.. After installing the shocks. I can tell why Metal Cloak recommends after market exhaust, or custom exhaust... The shocks will rub up against the exhaust as it stands. So I ordered a set of AFE headers/midpipes/exhaust! DARN! Which boasts about 30 HP gained, and 40 ft/lb of torque gained.

Photo-2015-12-26-18-15-42_3653.JPG

Photo-2015-12-31-15-30-32_3694.JPG

Final result.... Getting there!

Getting so close to getting everything done!

Last edited:
Awesome write up! Looking at this lift myself so this definately helps things!
Thanks!

Glad I could help! Its a bit expensive, but man, the travel on this thing is pretty amazing IMO.

Very happy with it, I know its not a hard task, but I am waiting for NorthRidge 4x4 to get an opening so I can bring it in there for them to put their secret sauce on the suspension.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Welcome to Wayalife! Strange that your first contribution to this community is to post a write-up about a Metacloak lift? :thinking:

JKRicky

Curious, what's Northridge's secret sauce?? Keep an eye on those shocks, have heard of a lot of failures. As long as your happy with it, that's all that matters. Good luck and welcome to WAL!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
"16 inches of travel in the front and 14 inches in the rear" on a 2-door with only 2.5" of lift??? :shock: Where do I get me some of this magical secret sauce?!! :thumb:

Curious, what's Northridge's secret sauce?? Keep an eye on those shocks, have heard of a lot of failures. As long as your happy with it, that's all that matters. Good luck and welcome to WAL!

Not really secret sauce, they are just authorized, and I am fairly sure that I screwed something up here. So allowing them to do a once over to make sure the links are set to correct length, and make sure everything is aligned.. haha :)

Last edited:
"16 inches of travel in the front and 14 inches in the rear" on a 2-door with only 2.5" of lift??? :shock: Where do I get me some of this magical secret sauce?!! :thumb:

Thats what was so attractive on this kit... My brother has a TJ, and it only has like 11 inches of travel. So I had to one up him... haha :)

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive my negativity but a true write-up would include a list of the necessary tools needed for the install and a step by step list with photos of how to install this lift. But that meme was funny. ;)

LOL :) If you want the tools, RTM! :) I just mainly wanted to show that a normal person could do this with fairly minimal effort. Im just a normal guy with a couple of tools.

Last edited:

JKRicky

Not really secret sauce, they are just authorized, and I am fairly sure that I screwed something up here. So allowing them to do a once over to make sure the links are set to correct length, and make sure everything is aligned.. haha :)
Ah gotchya. Well hope it all works out. And to save you in the long run, save the extra money and get a Warn winch [emoji6]

10frank9

Web Wheeler
LOL :) If you want the tools, RTM! :) I just mainly wanted to show that a normal person could do this with fairly minimal effort. Im just a normal guy with a couple of tools.

Perhaps the thread title should read "Metal Cloak photos and opinions" instead of suggesting its a write-up. :yup::crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, do yourself a favor and save your money. Being that you're handy with tools, this write-up should help you out.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Thats what was so attractive on this kit... My brother has a TJ, and it only has like 11 inches of travel. So I had to one up him... haha :)

Sorry, I guess you missed the sarcasm. Since you've bought into the clever, if not misleading marketing, there is a BIG difference between "shock travel" and "vertical travel".

Ah gotchya. Well hope it all works out. And to save you in the long run, save the extra money and get a Warn winch [emoji6]

This is my second SmittyBilt. I had the XRC 8 before, and had good luck with it. If I run into some issues with this, Ill look at the WARN, but I really liked the idea of having a Wireless remote on this, and at the price point of 700-800 dollars. I am pretty happy with what I got. I am not a huge fan of metal cordage, so they had a great deal for the Synth cordage.

Perhaps the thread title should read "Metal Cloak photos and opinions" instead of suggesting its a write-up. :yup::crazyeyes:

Touche :) It is a writeup of my experience, and obstacles of what I encountered during the install.

Last edited:
Top Bottom