PRESS RELEASE : Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Magnetic Panel Protectors

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know some of you may have already seen these from our live coverage of the 2015 SEMA Show but apparently, these new heavy duty magnetic panel protectors are now available for the JK and this is the press release that Rugged Ridge just issued for them. Check it out.

RUGGED RIDGE ANNOUNCES HEAVY-DUTY MAGNETIC PANEL PROTECTORS FOR 2007-2016 JEEP JK WRANGLERS
New Design Provides Maximum Protection for Jeep Body on Trails

mag-skins.jpg

Suwanee, Ga. (January 5, 2016) – Rugged Ridge®, a leading manufacturer of high quality Jeep®, truck and off-road accessories, today announced its new Magnetic Panel Protectors for the 2007-2016 Jeep Wrangler JK, designed to provide maximum protection for your Jeep’s paint while on trails.

Featuring a tough matte black finish, the newly engineered Magnetic Panel Protectors were designed to provide full coverage for the body of your Jeep to keep your mind at ease and your paint job flawless.

Using a 15-piece kit that provides the most durable defense for your front and rear fenders, doors, and door seams, each panel is constructed of 16 gauge (.060 inches) thick magnetic sheet material for a tough finish and long lasting use when you hit the trails.

“These magnetic panel protectors were engineered to provide maximum off-road protection, so you don’t have to worry about extensive damage to your JK from scraping branches and rocks,” said Taylor Johns, Industrial Designer at Omix-ADA. “We used a magnetic design because it makes them easily removable without using bolts or tape, so there is no damage to your JK when it’s time to take them off.”

The Rugged Ridge Magnetic Panel Protector kits are available online with an MSRP of $322.99 for two-door applications and $378.99 for four-door applications.

RedRum

That's actually an awesome idea I wonder how well it works as far as any type of protections yea from little scratches but any actual hit ...

kfchris

That's a good product idea. I'd prefer to get hands on before dropping money on the pieces but the price seems reasonable given the technology. 0.060" is pretty thick so that's nice too.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Trailskinz is another company making these. They don't make a 15 piece kit for the JKU but they are cheaper. Another good alternative for anyone looking at these.

Killer-JK

It's nice that someone is thinking about this... I'd love just a great precut wrap quality vinyl w/ graphic so that it gets scratched up instead of the paint on the doors but we can peel it off when it's time to sell. I think a few companies like invisiblemask make 3M clearbra precut versions, so I may try those.

The magnets are a decent idea but from people that have made these themselves, I was told that it still scratches up your paint since your doors need to be very clean first, even then dirt, sand, etc.. gets caught under the panels easily.

So not sure if RR was able to find a way to fix this, if anyone has experience with any of these ideas, let us know!

Edit: Just went to TrailSkinz... have a look at that disclaimer and instructions on how to apply without scratching your paint, lots to think about... seems like there is a lot of ways to cause you trouble.

* The magnetic sheet and metal surface should be clean and dry when applying to vehicle. During rainy weather, moisture will become trapped between the magnet and metal surface. To prevent any sticking, be sure to remove and dry both surfaces thoroughly.

* Some moisture and dirt will collect between the magnet and metal surface. Remove and clean both the magnet and vehicle with mild detergent and allow both to dry. For vehicle signs repeat the cleaning process weekly.

* To prevent damage to the new clear coat/base and vinyl surfaces present on new cars and trucks, we recommend daily removal of magnetic skinz.

* If you apply the skin and it isn't exactly where you would like it, you must remove the entire skin and re-apply so that you do not scratch the surface or deform the material by trying to slide it into position.

* Weather conditions and atmospheric conditions may also cause adverse affects when magnetic skinz are exposed for long periods of time. We strongly recommend daily removal to guard against such happenings.

* Applying the skinz in cold temperatures may result in damage to the sheet magnet. Skinz that encounter freezing temperatures have been known to come off. Use of the skinz in sub zero temperatures is not recommended.

* Applying any material to a painted surface without following all instructions for the use and care may result in damage to that surface. Failure to follow these instructions and tips may cause damage to the magnetic material and/or surface to which applied.

Trailskinz and the manuf
acturer will not be held liable for any damage caused by abuse, misuse, or failure to follow the enclosed tips and instructions.

-Store rolled stock on end to keep it from developing flat spots.

-Make sure the entire magnet is flat against the metal surface (i.e., no air pockets).

-If you place the magnet in the wrong position, completely remove the magnet from the surface and reaffix. Do no pull the magnet across the surface, or it may stretch due to the resistance caused by the high magnetic strength.

-Avoid use on horizontal metal surfaces exposed to direct sunlight (such as automobile hoods) or temperatures exceeding 150 F (66 C).

-Be aware that long-term use on surfaces frequently exposed to sunlight (such as vehicles) can result in uneven fading of the surface because the magnet-covered area is shielded from ultraviolet rays.

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Seems like you would only use these before going out to the trail, not necessarily something you would want to keep on constantly. Great idea for the guy who is worried about getting a scratch on a tight trail, but what if the trail is really tight? If the directions say NOT to slide it when in place or it could scratch the paint, what would stop a tree limb or branch from reaching out and grabbing this panel and pulling it down the side of the jeep and scratching it up anyway? Maybe this isn't a concern for most, but since all the trails around here are heavily wooded, we encounter a lot of thick bushes/brush and tree limbs. Idk, just a thought. I'm sure I'm just paranoid.

Killer-JK

I think it's helpful if you have clean doors to begin with and put it on before a trail day. I think the magnets are strong from what I hear so it will likely stay put for most reasonable contact. It's just going to be a bit of a pain if you have wash the doors, put them on, etc.. every time and if you're on a week long trip it may require some maintenance to take them off and clean them up, dry and reapply. Again, I can't speak from experience but I've heard with the dust on the trail, dirt somehow manages to get under there anyway... so helpful I'm sure but perhaps not the holy grail. I'm looking at a custom wrap for just the 4 doors and my half doors, seems like it will be inexpensive, bring some graphics and although it will get scratched, it's not my actual paint and door. I'll peel it off in a few years and start over or when I do sell the Jeep for another. If there was a great deal on just the door mags, which is all I seem to need where I go, then I may try them. my .02c

These are pretty cool and a good option to protect against pinstripes provided they themselves don't scratch your paint. Another thing to consider is having the sides wrapped in clear. Although it's not really viable for the hardcore wheelers that frequently see body damage, it'll definitely protect against pinstripes and can hardly bee seen once its on:thumb:

LeighP

You wouldn't want to leave these on permanently.
In Australia, new drivers have to display a "Provisional Licence" plate on the their cars for three years...its a letter P on a white square background. There are aftermarket magnetic P plates that you stick on the your body work, but I've seen the result of leaving them in the sun over a couple of years...they basically melt onto the car and are extremely hard to remove....these anti scratch panels would be the same.....
I'd say, clean the car, fit the panels, go on a trip then remove the panels when you get home and store them.
Nice idea. :)

Top Bottom