Low Speed Vibration

LCulver

I have just installed the TerraFlex 2.5" BB and 35" tires w/ spacers on my 2010 JKU. I installed the lift and rode with the stock wheels and tires with spacers for a couple of days and everything was smooth. I got the 35s mounted just the other day and its rides very smooth except for one minor issue. I get a vibration that seems to be coming from the drivetrain at around 10-15 mph. It happens whether im on the gas or not and happens even when coasting. It seems to be worse when coming to a stop. No noticeable vibration in the pedals or steering wheel. Seems to be coming from underneath the cab. Any suggestions?

WJCO

Meme King
I have just installed the TerraFlex 2.5" BB and 35" tires w/ spacers on my 2010 JKU. I installed the lift and rode with the stock wheels and tires with spacers for a couple of days and everything was smooth. I got the 35s mounted just the other day and its rides very smooth except for one minor issue. I get a vibration that seems to be coming from the drivetrain at around 10-15 mph. It happens whether im on the gas or not and happens even when coasting. It seems to be worse when coming to a stop. No noticeable vibration in the pedals or steering wheel. Seems to be coming from underneath the cab. Any suggestions?

Try duplicating it in an area where there aren't other cars and then put the transmission in neutral when it starts to happen. See if it goes away. If it goes away, it likely is a powertrain vibration. If it doesn't go away, then you likely have an issue with a tire/wheel/hub bearing.

If it is a powertrain vibration, remove your front drive shaft and re-test drive. See if problem is gone. It's common to get driveline vibrations after any lift just because the joints have worn in a certain way/angle and you have now changed it to new wear areas of the joints. It also could be a front differential pinion bearing issue that is now louder with the new angle due to different wear angles, etc.

LCulver

Try duplicating it in an area where there aren't other cars and then put the transmission in neutral when it starts to happen. See if it goes away. If it goes away, it likely is a powertrain vibration. If it doesn't go away, then you likely have an issue with a tire/wheel/hub bearing.

If it is a powertrain vibration, remove your front drive shaft and re-test drive. See if problem is gone. It's common to get driveline vibrations after any lift just because the joints have worn in a certain way/angle and you have now changed it to new wear areas of the joints. It also could be a front differential pinion bearing issue that is now louder with the new angle due to different wear angles, etc.

I have put the Jeep in neutral while the vibration occurs and it did not stop. I'm assuming it isnt a hub, tire, or wheel issue since I did not feel this at all before mounting the new tires on the stock wheels. I drove to the tire shop on the stockers and it was fine. First light I hit on the way home I got the vibration. I have driven it at all speeds and the tires seems to be balanced perfectly, no wobbles. If it is indeed the other issues that you mentioned, will the vibration eventually subside once the joints wear at the new angle? Thanks for all info.

WJCO

Meme King
I have put the Jeep in neutral while the vibration occurs and it did not stop. I'm assuming it isnt a hub, tire, or wheel issue since I did not feel this at all before mounting the new tires on the stock wheels. I drove to the tire shop on the stockers and it was fine. First light I hit on the way home I got the vibration. I have driven it at all speeds and the tires seems to be balanced perfectly, no wobbles. If it is indeed the other issues that you mentioned, will the vibration eventually subside once the joints wear at the new angle? Thanks for all info.

Maybe. More of a noise rather than something you can feel. Mine was really bad after doing a 4 inch lift (that supposedly came with all parts to keep caster and pinion angle balanced), but only occurred when decelerating. It happened at all speeds but was much more noticeable at highway speeds. And I even have the DC style drive shaft. As soon as I removed the front drive shaft it was gone. The lift installer which is a good friend looked it over really well when I took it back. He really felt it was more of a pinion bearing problem that was accentuated with the new pinion angle from the lift. Regardless, I just noticed about a month ago, maybe 10k since the lift that the vibration can't be heard at all. This could be due to new wear angles, or all the heavy shit I've put on the front of the rig, or even coil spring sagging. Either way, mine seems to have went away. I'm also getting new pinion bearings with my gears this week, so I'll really know for sure. My worn out BFG MTs are still a little loud, so............once I get my new tires, if the noise is for some reason still there, I'll know it's the drive shaft, but I'll just live with it for now, no play in the joints. FYI, my caster is about 6, so that would actually improve my pinion angle compared to trying to get a little less caster in the front end.

EDIT: If I were you, I would pull the drive shaft anyway just to see.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I didn't see it mentioned but what tires did you have installed? I know at low speeds (about the same speeds you mentioned) I really feel the massive lugs from my mud grapplers

LCulver

Maybe. More of a noise rather than something you can feel. Mine was really bad after doing a 4 inch lift (that supposedly came with all parts to keep caster and pinion angle balanced), but only occurred when decelerating. It happened at all speeds but was much more noticeable at highway speeds. And I even have the DC style drive shaft. As soon as I removed the front drive shaft it was gone. The lift installer which is a good friend looked it over really well when I took it back. He really felt it was more of a pinion bearing problem that was accentuated with the new pinion angle from the lift. Regardless, I just noticed about a month ago, maybe 10k since the lift that the vibration can't be heard at all. This could be due to new wear angles, or all the heavy shit I've put on the front of the rig, or even coil spring sagging. Either way, mine seems to have went away. I'm also getting new pinion bearings with my gears this week, so I'll really know for sure. My worn out BFG MTs are still a little loud, so............once I get my new tires, if the noise is for some reason still there, I'll know it's the drive shaft, but I'll just live with it for now, no play in the joints. FYI, my caster is about 6, so that would actually improve my pinion angle compared to trying to get a little less caster in the front end.

EDIT: If I were you, I would pull the drive shaft anyway just to see.

Thanks WJCO. Really good info/advice. I dont want to start throwing money at it just yet. Im gonna give it a week or so to see if it resolves itself. Thanks again.

LCulver

I didn't see it mentioned but what tires did you have installed? I know at low speeds (about the same speeds you mentioned) I really feel the massive lugs from my mud grapplers

35" Cooper Discoverer MTRs (mud terrain). They do have a pretty aggressive tread. Honestly, I've never rolled MTs so im not really accustomed to how they perform on the road. Although it did seem odd that they would make such a vibration inside the cab to the point where it causes some rattling inside.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
35" Cooper Discoverer MTRs (mud terrain). They do have a pretty aggressive tread. Honestly, I've never rolled MTs so im not really accustomed to how they perform on the road. Although it did seem odd that they would make such a vibration inside the cab to the point where it causes some rattling inside.

I have a feeling it's just the lugs your feeling. What tire psi are you running currently as well?

Angry Aussie

What he said, it could be your tires, I've noticed it more on mine as my tires wear.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What he said, it could be your tires, I've noticed it more on mine as my tires wear.

Yup I would agree.

Op I didn't read what WJCO wrote at all but I bet it's good info. That being said what he prob wrote would be right if you have had the wheels and tires on for a long time and if you have wheeled it hard. Being that the tires are new I think it's just your not used to them and have never felt that vib before since you have never run an MT before

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If all was good before the tires but happened immediately after the tires then it is probably the tires. Either it's just a different tire than your use to or there is an issue. I would lower your air pressure for one. Also you can rotate your tires to see if you can't feel it anymore, though that might be hard to tell since you said you can't really feel it in the steering or pedals. Do you have one rim that has a lot of weights? If so, that tire could be an issue. Even if it balanced out.

Just some thoughts.

LCulver

38 psi seems to high. Maybe it's just me but curious to hear what everyone else has to say

I was in for a surprise when I checked tire pressure last night. The shop that mounted the tires inflated them to 50 PSI. Needless to say I unloaded some air out of them and got it down to 38. Rep for discounttiredirect.com recommended 35 PSI. I'll bring it down to that today and see how it feels on the way home. If no change, Ill get it to 30 and do the chalk test. Thanks again.

swampdog

So, if the shop sent you away with 50psi I would question anything they touched. That being said, could it be as simple as they didn't properly torque lugs and you have some slop at the lug connection? Check the simple things first before you throw cash at this problem.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

Cooper Discoverer MTR's??? Goodyear makes the MTR's. Are you sure they're not the stt pros or sst's?

Top Bottom