Which Springs sag?

Roverrich

Guys, I've been running a 2.5" budget boost and have been happy, now with all the weight I added on the jeep (bumpers/winch/tires/etc), I have lost a lot of lift and the suspension feels undersprung. I've decided to move up to a proper suspension lift w/ new springs. My question is if people here who have lived with a lift >1 -2 years, which brand spring tend to sag the least after a few years? Please share your experiences. I've been going nuts trying to figure this out by reading the forums....

I do realize there is an inital settling, but don't what to have to change springs again at least for a few years. My main purpose is a DD, but I use the jeep on weekends, time permitting for fishing and hunting. Thanks guys.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Guys, I've been running a 2.5" budget boost and have been happy, now with all the weight I added on the jeep (bumpers/winch/tires/etc), I have lost a lot of lift and the suspension feels undersprung. I've decided to move up to a proper suspension lift w/ new springs. My question is if people here who have lived with a lift >1 -2 years, which brand spring tend to sag the least after a few years? Please share your experiences. I've been going nuts trying to figure this out by reading the forums....

I do realize there is an inital settling, but don't what to have to change springs again at least for a few years. My main purpose is a DD, but I use the jeep on weekends, time permitting for fishing and hunting. Thanks guys.

If you like your lift and want to keep running it you could just find a cheap set of factory take offs from a rubicon with a high spring rate

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

ALL springs "settle" a bit. ALL springs "sag" a bit when loaded up with a ton of gear and some more than others. ALL coils can be "over compressed" (as in, they get squashed down to the point where they no longer return to their original height) IF you don't run the proper amount of bump stop extensions for the amount of lift you have.

All this being said, a coil that is so firm that it doesn't lose some height when your Jeep is loaded up will offer a harsh ride. Granted, ride comfort is purely subjective but for me, I personally prefer a soft lift coil that will loose some height and then make up the difference with a set of coil spacers if needed. But of course, that's just me. I do a lot of traveling in my Jeeps and ride comfort is paramount.

Roverrich

Thanks Eddie, that is exactly the kind of opinion I'm seeking. I need to know which brand people have used and gets me a softer on road ride, but doesn't compromise mild trails and won't lose too much just because of the weight of the accessories. I was looking at TF, but it seems like it has been reported a fair amount of time on the forums that the sag more than others over time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks Eddie, that is exactly the kind of opinion I'm seeking. I need to know which brand people have used and gets me a softer on road ride, but doesn't compromise mild trails and won't lose too much just because of the weight of the accessories. I was looking at TF, but it seems like it has been reported a fair amount of time on the forums that the sag more than others over time.

Don't forget that they are pretty damn stiff

jkwebbie

I've got 3" EVO plush rides. I'm not gonna lie, it rides better than stock. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, that is exactly the kind of opinion I'm seeking. I need to know which brand people have used and gets me a softer on road ride, but doesn't compromise mild trails and won't lose too much just because of the weight of the accessories.

To get a softer ride on road or off, you need a coil that has a soft spring rate. A soft spring rate WILL sag when loaded up, it's just the nature of the beast. A coil that will hold up a ton of gear with little sag WILL give you a really harsh ride on and off road and will NOT provide the kind of stuff (upward articulation) you'd want on the trail. Sure, some companies will try to sell you on the idea of a dual rate, triple rate or variable rate coil to help convince you that you can have your cake and eat it too BUT, what you ultimately get is a coil that has the soft end of the riding solid (maxed out to the point where the coils are touching each other) and your Jeep just riding on the firm end. Basically, where you were with a single rate firm coil.

Again, if you want a soft ride, try getting a set of "soft" coils at the height that you want and then, load up your Jeep and see how much height your Jeep looses. More likely than not, it'll only be about an inch and if that's the case, simply buy and install a set of 1" coil spacers to make up the difference. Trust me, I have tested out a myriad of coils over the last 9 years and doing this has always offered the best ride quality or at least to me.

I was looking at TF, but it seems like it has been reported a fair amount of time on the forums that the sag more than others over time.

LOL!! Without question, TeraFlex makes some of the stiffest harshest riding coils I have personally installed and ridden on bar none. The reason why you may have seen people have sag from them is because they are most likely NOT running them with the proper amount of bump stop extension and have since over compressed them. I have NEVER seen them sag otherwise.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I run the Teraflex 2.5 inch coil spring lift. I wanted an inexpensive lift to clear 35s asap. I was going to go the budget boost route but was worried about the sag also. It may have been in my head and me overthinking it. I feel like the height I got out of the front was good, I do feel like the rear could have been slightly higher. I may add a spacer but not sure. These springs are noticably stiffer than stock. On the road, I dont feel that it is too big of a deal. Thats me though, others can be different. Like its been said, its 100% subjective. I dont have anything personal to base it off of but I do feel like this springs are a lot stiffer/rougher off road. I am running the rubicon shocks with extensions so maybe better shocks would help but I dont know. Just watching what some friends jeeps do over some terrain and then feeling what mine does over the same terrain, it just feels a lot rougher than theirs. I do carry all of my tools and recovery gear all the time so that may add to it. The jeep was empty though when I put the lift on and got 35s and it looked and felt the same. So even with all my crap in the back and a winch up front, I dont feel like it has sagged any yet over this past year. But you do trade that off for the rougher ride.

Im holding off on doing much different to it as money comes in and I decide for sure which way I want to go. I want 37s and go up to a 4 inch lift. Will probably go the EVO Enforcer route but debating about trying to jump to coil overs.

Roverrich

Thanks everyone, I online chatted w/ one of the Wayalife Sponsors and had a very nice conversation which echoed everything stated here. I think I will look more into the RK and Evo springs, probably Bilsteins and a front track bar. Should be set.

Last question, does a 3" Evo spring result in much more than 3", same question with the RK 2.5" springs?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If you go with the 3 inch springs skip the track bar and get a drag link flip kit like the EVO one. At 3 inches you will most likely need to address your steering anyways and a kit like the EVO one flips the drag link to address the steering and moves the axle side mounting spot of the drag link up. So you reuse your stock drag link.

Top Bottom