Steering box problems

morris340

I am new to the forum and also JKs as I have had TJs. I have 09 Rubicon Unlimited with 146,000 miles. Everything has been replaced in the front end. My steering feels loose and appears to be in the box. I read others places you can/ can't adjust it and looking for answers. I actually found Wayalife by the front end alignment write up and feel like I could trust this forum on what I need to do. Thanks for any help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Where exactly is it showing signs of looseness? At the pitman arm maybe? Might want to isolate what the real problem is before you go around making adjustments to things that shouldn't be adjusted.

WJCO

Meme King
I am new to the forum and also JKs as I have had TJs. I have 09 Rubicon Unlimited with 146,000 miles. Everything has been replaced in the front end. My steering feels loose and appears to be in the box. I read others places you can/ can't adjust it and looking for answers. I actually found Wayalife by the front end alignment write up and feel like I could trust this forum on what I need to do. Thanks for any help!

Welcome to WAL. First of all make 100% certain that the play is inside of the box and not somewhere else in your steering. When driving, you really want no less than 3/4" of steering wheel turn before your tires turn. Any less than that is too tight and could damage the box.

Assuming that the box is adjustable, there is a screw that looks like this on the end cover Geartighteningloosesteering.jpg .

Most Jeeps use a 5/8" nut and a 3/16" Allen screw, JKs may be different. First thing I would recommend is cleaning off the adjustment area with brakekleen while wearing safety glasses. Then mark a very small dot or line somewhere on the edge of the allen screw with bright nail polish or whiteout. This way if you mess up, you can at least return the screw to the starting position. You will need to loosen the 5/8" nut first, this will be fairly tight. Then turn your allen screw clockwise no more than 45 degrees. Then while holding the the allen screw tight with the allen key, tighten back up the lock nut with the wrench making sure the allen screw doesn't move from its new placement. Make sure the nut is tight! Then the most important step: Test your steering back and forth several times in your driveway to make sure it is not binding! Especially toward the ends of turning at the steering locks! Usually the gear wears more in the center over time, so even if that tightens up nicely, the gear portion near the ends of the steering stops may be too tight after adjustment. It is binds anywhere, you'll have to repeat the process and loose the allen screw position (counter clockwise this time). If the steering checks out ok in the driveway, go for a road test and check the results. If it is still too loose, repeat the entire process by turning the allen screw clockwise another 30-45 degrees and retest. Do this in small increments until it is right. Again, ultimately you want about 3/4" of steering wheel play before your tires start to turn.

You are 100% responsible for your actions. If you mess up, don't blame me or WAL. It's your vehicle and your safety. Just trying to help out.

morris340

Where exactly is it showing signs of looseness? At the pitman arm maybe? Might want to isolate what the real problem is before you go around making adjustments to things that shouldn't be adjusted.

Sounds like you might have answered my question as if they shouldn't be adjusted I probably need a rebuild. I couldn't find any slack in the pitman arm.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I have Rough Country. Drop pitman.

I can almost guarantee you THAT is your problem. Most of the dropped pitman arms out there are all made by the same manufacturer. The problem with them is the splines do NOT provide a tight fit. IF you reinstall your factory pitman arm and replace your track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip and new track bar relocation bracket, your problem should be fixed. Trust me, I speak from experience working on your exact kit and multiple dropped pitman arms from multiple kits.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I can almost guarantee you THAT is your problem. Most of the dropped pitman arms out there are all made by the same manufacturer. The problem with them is the splines do NOT provide a tight fit. IF you reinstall your factory pitman arm and replace your track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip and new track bar relocation bracket, your problem should be fixed. Trust me, I speak from experience working on your exact kit and multiple dropped pitman arms from multiple kits.

Yup!

The one shop I worked at only used pitman arms. They varied enough we had to look at them before throwing them in the box.

Same part number and everyone sells it as their own. Good mark up too!

jeeeep

Hooked

^^ this, if you do the work yourself be sure to stabilize the steering wheel from moving and messing up your clock spring.

morris340

I will try that. I bought with lift. I probably need to buy an arm at the dealer or salvage yard as I assume anything else would the same problem as the drop pitman. Thanks for for all the help!

Trevo

I had the same issue with my rough country drop pitman, it was wiggling around on the sector shaft, and in turn also my drag link was very worn out. I already had an adjustable trackbar, so I had northridge 4x4 in colorado install a synergy high steer drag link flip ($225) with a factory pitman arm (I think it was around $35 new from napa) and it solved the issue completely.

also from what I was told the RC pitman arms can cause permanent damage to your sector shaft (bend it) and then you will need a steering box rebuild....luckily mine had no play in it and it didn't damage it.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I had the same issue with my rough country drop pitman, it was wiggling around on the sector shaft, and in turn also my drag link was very worn out. I already had an adjustable trackbar, so I had northridge 4x4 in colorado install a synergy high steer drag link flip ($225) with a factory pitman arm (I think it was around $35 new from napa) and it solved the issue completely.

also from what I was told the RC pitman arms can cause permanent damage to your sector shaft (bend it) and then you will need a steering box rebuild....luckily mine had no play in it and it didn't damage it.

Welcome to WAL.

morris340

Thanks!!!

I finally got time to put a flip kit and can't believe the difference it made. Wind is gusting but can tell its took almost all of it out. When I went to remove the drop arm it was froze on the shaft so really was not expecting any improvement. I did notice with everything unhooked the steering box seem to have a 1/8 in play. I went cheap and didn't replace track bar as mine was had been replaced with a new takeoff. Paid $208 for the Teraflex drag link and bought a new factory pitman arm off Ebay for $10 delivered. Now its time for bumpers, winch and more. Thanks for all your help!

Top Bottom