Discount Tire's Mel Wade is gearing up for KOH 2016 | Are you ready?

Discount Tire

Source: KOH Prep W/Mel Wade: 10 Pre-Race Rituals | DrivingLine.com

"The 2016 Nitto Tire King of the Hammers race is just a few short weeks away. We’re looking forward to getting back out on the lake bed to once again cover one of the most grueling off-road races on the planet. We know many of the drivers have certain pre-race rituals they do before the Hammers race. So, we reached out to some of them to get the 10 things they always do pre-KOH - DrivingLine.com"... READ MORE

324a0146.jpg

RDE2ROK

I will be at KOH this year for the first time! I will be watching EVO1 and cheering him on!:rock:

Ddays

Hooked
Awesome!

Watched this vid a couple times and noticed that Mel is running Trail Grapplers, or am I wrong? Are these everyday off the shelf Trail Graps? I always thought the KOH guys ran competition tires. What tires did he run at the BAJA 1000?

Ok I'm editing this for stupidity and clarity....I know the race is sponsored by Nitto. Better question is are the tires run at KOH off the shelf Trail Grapplers or are they a competition version?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Awesome!

Watched this vid a couple times and noticed that Mel is running Trail Grapplers, or am I wrong? Are these everyday off the shelf Trail Graps? I always thought the KOH guys ran competition tires. What tires did he run at the BAJA 1000?

Ok I'm editing this for stupidity and clarity....I know the race is sponsored by Nitto. Better question is are the tires run at KOH off the shelf Trail Grapplers or are they a competition version?

Not everyone at KOH runs nittos.

Yes Mel runs off the shelf 40" k spec nittos

Ddays

Hooked
Honestly who would need the K specs unless you're a competitor? I would imagine the tread compound is not very compatible with street use, no?

I'll be honest, before I started here I wouldn't have considered the Nitto brand just because I never see people running them
over here and I was totally unfamiliar with them. I've seen a couple trucks here and there with them but never a Jeep. After
having my eyes opened they're the tires I am going to be purchasing here soon.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Honestly who would need the K specs unless you're a competitor? I would imagine the tread compound is not very compatible with street use, no?

I'll be honest, before I started here I wouldn't have considered the Nitto brand just because I never see people running them
over here and I was totally unfamiliar with them. I've seen a couple trucks here and there with them but never a Jeep. After

My brother runs a tire shop near 4wd in Ohio. He's had great feed back of from his customers that are running Nittos. They never really heard much about them either.

You absolutely can't go wrong.

Lil Nasty

Ha it's just the opposite down here. Almost every 4wd with gripped tires are running the Trail Grapplers. I'm going to be honest and say I'm going back to the Toyo's just to be a little different. I've had toyo's in the past and liked them, so I know what I'm getting. The Nitto's are great tires but just too common for me. Hell, Interco (Swampers, Iroc, and boggers) is in the next town over and we've mostly given up on them.

Discount Tire

Agreed, the roll was the highlight of last years KOH. If you have not been to the event I highly recommend going even for a day or two, although, qualifying is a blast to watch. Most of the qualifying can be seen by spectators.

Two of my favorite viewing areas are Backdoor and Chocolate Thunder.

Thanks for cheering on Mel!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I've never run anything other than trail grapplers, so I have no experience with anything else, but I am very impressed. I will be picking up another set soon and can't wait for some fresh tread.

Is there somewhere you can tune into watch KOH?

JAGS

Hooked
I've never run anything other than trail grapplers, so I have no experience with anything else, but I am very impressed. I will be picking up another set soon and can't wait for some fresh tread.

Is there somewhere you can tune into watch KOH?

Go to the ultra 4 website. You can also search for KOH live feeds and watch them online.

Top Bottom