Dynatrac ProGRIP brake install/review

rinkishjk

i finally had a chance to install the Dynatrac ProGRIP brake kit i won in the giveaway on here, and i wanted to share my opinion on it, along with some pics i took when i installed it.

here's both kits i came home to, delivered a day early;) each box is approx 60 lbs.
20160105_160959.jpg

the install is just as simple as a brake job, with changing the pads, rotors and brackets. pretty straight forward. starting off with the rear, jack the jeep up, and put on jack stands. remove the wheels.
20160112_110842.jpg
20160112_110851.jpg
20160112_111033.jpg
20160112_111403.jpg
remove your calipers using a 13mm wrench on the two bolts, and 18 mm to remove the caliper brackets. remove the rotors also. now is the time to adjust that parking brake that doesn't hold, clean the parking brake shoes with brake cleaner, and check for axle seal leaks. if u do need to replace your parking brake shoes, u will need to remove the axle shaft, trust me.:brows:
20160112_112938.jpg

here is what u get in the rear kit: rotors, caliper brackets, pads and bracket clips. the clips install only one way on the brackets.
20160112_111631.jpg
stock pads next to the dynatrac pads.
20160112_112412.jpg
stock caliper brackets next to the Dynatrac ones. notice how much "taller" they are.
20160112_112635.jpg
stock rear rotors, and Dynatrac upgraded rotors. notice the HUGE difference in size!!!:thumb:
20160112_113041.jpg
apply black moly lube (molybendum) to your stock caliper slides, which just pull out of your stock brackets. you want these to move freely, as they give your caliper the movement to apply and release both inner and outer pads. if they are seized, u can try and remove them, or just get new ones.
20160112_113639.jpg
bleck moly lube applied, u can also see the orientation of the caliper clips.
20160112_113604.jpg
install your rotors after cleaning the bare metal surface with brake cleaner to remove the coating on it. u will also want to adjust your parking brake shoes now, until u have very slight contact from them to your new rotors while rotating the rotor by hand.
20160112_113842.jpg
reinstall your stock calipers with the 2, 13mm bolts, and the brackets with the 2, 18 mm bolts.
20160112_114204.jpg
here is a picture of the stock setup before the upgrades. notice the wheel spacing in relation to the caliper... about 3 fingers..
20160112_114622.jpg
here is a picture of the Dynatrac rotor, caliper bracket and stock caliper with pads installed. its super duper close, i was kinda worried. barely a finger.
20160112_114638.jpg
20160112_114647.jpg
20160112_121018.jpg

20160112_121036.jpg
it is close where the weights are. i spun it by hand, and there is no rubbing.
20160112_121043.jpg

more pics below....

rinkishjk

i did not take a lot of pictures of the front. the biggest size difference was the rear parts.

here is a picture of the stock parts, and the Dynatrac proGRIP parts, notice the rotor size difference and the caliper brackets.
20160112_123307.jpg
installed. fitment with the wheels was not nearly as close as the rear. U will need a 13 mm for the calipers and 21 mm for the brackets.
20160112_130558.jpg

test drive: the brakes perform fantastically!! i almost have to get re-used to driving with them. the amount of pedal pressure required to stop the truck is quite a bit less than before, especially when initially applying the brake. the rear rotor/bracket setup really makes a difference when stopping. when u first start braking, u feel the back of the truck almost "squat", vs a feeling of "picking up" or " lightness" in the back before. i had replaced my front brakes and rotors recently, and the Dynatrac PROGRIP setup blows the stock parts clear out of the water! I'm really, really happy that i won this kit, and it is defiantly worth the money for the kit. i will be recommending it to anyone looking for a brake upgrade for stock axles.

i would also like to thank WAYALIFE, eddie, and DYNATRAC for this awesome prize!!! thank u very much!!!:beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
i did not take a lot of pictures of the front. the biggest size difference was the rear parts.

here is a picture of the stock parts, and the Dynatrac proGRIP parts, notice the rotor size difference and the caliper brackets.
View attachment 182358
installed. fitment with the wheels was not nearly as close as the rear.
View attachment 182359

test drive: the brakes perform fantastically!! i almost have to get re-used to driving with them. the amount of pedal pressure required to stop the truck is quite a bit less than before, especially when initially applying the brake. the rear rotor/bracket setup really makes a difference when stopping. when u first start braking, u feel the back of the truck almost "squat", vs a feeling of "picking up" or " lightness" in the back before. i had replaced my front brakes and rotors recently, and the Dynatrac PROGRIP setup blows the stock parts clear out of the water! I'm really, really happy that i won this kit, and it is defiantly worth the money for the kit. i will be recommending it to anyone looking for a brake upgrade for stock axles.

i would also like to thank WAYALIFE, eddie, and DYNATRAC for this awesome prize!!! thank u very much!!!:beer::beer::beer:

That's sweet, man. Glad you won. Glad to hear they're working out for you. Now you can tailgate like a mofo!

rinkishjk

That's sweet, man. Glad you won. Glad to hear they're working out for you. Now you can tailgate like a mofo!

Haha yes! After the first Drive I was really kinda amazed at how fast it stops. Nothing like having fun jamming on the brakes!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome write-up and review!! I'm glad to hear you like your new ProGrips and thank you for posting this up for everyone to see. I will be sending you out a pair of shot glasses :thumb:

rinkishjk

Awesome write-up and review!! I'm glad to hear you like your new ProGrips and thank you for posting this up for everyone to see. I will be sending you out a pair of shot glasses :thumb:

Thanks Eddie! I really appreciate it, and one day I will buy u a beer! 🍻

scull20

That's for the write up! I may forego a standard brake replacement and go with these.

This may be a question for dynatrac, but is there an expected life of the rotor and pads in this kit? Also, do they offer replacement pads and rotors for the future when the originals wear out?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
That's for the write up! I may forego a standard brake replacement and go with these.

This may be a question for dynatrac, but is there an expected life of the rotor and pads in this kit? Also, do they offer replacement pads and rotors for the future when the originals wear out?

I was wondering this as well.

rinkishjk

Thanks! They are definitely better then say "rockauto" oem style parts. That's what I replaced them. With. Im sure they will offer replacement pads and rotors. I was wondering myself what "off the shelf" pads/rotors would fit, in a pinch.

rinkishjk

Top Bottom