Radio/CB's

Tango_Down

Hey guys, I am in the process of getting a communications system hooked up in my rig and want to know what is typically used on the trails for truck-to-truck communication. CB or UHF frequency? If UHF, what frequency range?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Everyone uses different channels while on the trail but some of the most popular are 4 and 16

Alon

I have been using "race" radios or VHF in all of my toys. All of my equipment is from PCI Race Radios and comes pre programmed with channels, the first 16 are a standard in the industry from race radio companies.

UHF doesn't work as well or travel as far as the VHF does in open environments off road.

JeepFan

Hooked
You will find that the CB is the most common radio used in the off roading world.

UHF radios are not very common and require an FCC license to use. Family Radio Service hand held radios use UHF frequencies and don't require a license but, the range on these types of radios are extremely limited.

Race Radios are also used in the motor sport world but, you will not find too many Jeepers with these types of radios. These radios operate in the Business Band, VHF frequencies. Technically you're required to have a license to operate but not many people do.

Last edited:

RVJKU

I'm new to jeeps. But my research led me to CB's. I sold all my race radio VHF stuff. But with my luck VHF will become the trend. At this point in time I say you will find a lot more CB's out there than VHF.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You will find that the CB is the most common radio used in the off roading world.

UHF radios are not very common and require an FCC license to use. Family Radio Service hand held radios use UHF frequencies and don't require a license but, the range on these types of radios are extremely limited.

Race Radios are also used in the motor sport world but, you will not find too many Jeepers with these types of radios. These radios operate in the Business Band, VHF frequencies. Technically you're required to have a license to operate but not many people do.

Couldn't have said it better.

Top Bottom