PDA

View Full Version : Dynatrac ProRock 44 or G2 Core 44?

Coop
01-15-2016, 12:42 PM
I read the recent thread on the ProRock 44 with interest. Lots of knowledgeable input. I will be switching to 37s soon and want to prepare, so I'm looking to upgrade to a D44 front axle assembly for my 2015 JKU Sport. Is there more positive experience with the ProRock 44 than the G2 Core 44? One of the shops I have used swears by the G2 products. Both assemblies look pretty well set up in the catalogs, but of course trail experience is invaluable. Looking for your expert advice and experience as this is a sizeable investment I only want to do once! Thanks!

Irish Pirate
01-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Great question Coop. I'm in the same boat you are in. I'm going to upgrade to 35's or 37's myself. I have heard lots of good 'sales pitches' about the G2-D44. As it stands that is what I plan on putting in. I too would like to hear everyone's else's trail rated opinion

cozdude
01-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Your shop prob swears by G2 products cause they make the most money on them.

In my opinion there is a reason why you see all of these new 44 axles coming out from companies like g2, Currie, and terrorbreak to compete with the Dynatrac pr44. It's because the pr44 was the first aftermarket 44 (to my knowledge) to hit the market and it took off running. It's an axle that has stood the test of time being abused in ultra4 races by Mel at ore and by enthusiasts, like ourselfs, for many years now. Go with the proven prorock and you will NOT be disappointed

Stalter08Rubi
01-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Couldn't agree with Cozdude more... I just got mine in yesterday and holy cow man this thing is stout. Can only imagine the abuse this thing can take. Mel essentially slammed the entire weight of the Evo TJ, going about 20 or so through the rocks, onto a big boulder and came away unscathed.

T&ERun
01-15-2016, 01:20 PM
PR44 hands down if you can afford it. They are a little more money. The key things to compare are the axle tube diameter and thickness, and the size/bulk of the outer Cs. Pure beef. The housing and Cs will outlast the internals. Many say the PR44 housing/diff housing/and outer Cs rival the strength of a dana 60 axle. Also with the PR44 Unlimited you get extra caster built in. You could probably get the same with the other brands if you special ordered.

JK_Dave
01-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Two things for me stand out on the Dynatrac axle over the G2 -

While the standard PR44 has the same axle tube thickness and diameter as the G2, for around $100 I can upgrade the PR44 to 1/2" tube thickness for extra strength and get extra caster built in.

While G2 offers a 10 year warranty on their axle, it only covers parts against manufacturing defects. Dynatrac offers a 1 year warranty, but it's unlimited mileage and no-fault. Did you just take your brand new axle offroading and break something? I bet G2 will tell you that's your fault, not a manufacturing defect. And honestly, in that first year most of us will really test that axle's limits out. I'd rather know that the company I bought it from will fix or replace something without trying to blame me. Of course the best warranty is the one you don't have to use and you've probably got 20+ people on this forum who can attest to their PR44.

If you go with G2 simply due to cost, keep that savings handy in case you break something. You may need it.

Ddays
01-15-2016, 01:44 PM
I looked at the Currie, Teraflex, and G2 for a long time and after comparing them bought the PR44 without hesitation.
This is a badass axle man.

4WP/4WD, G2, Smittybilt, Pro-Comp, Rubicon Express, and Poison Spyder are all owned by a holding company - Trans-American Auto Parts.
So if this is the shop you got a price from, guess what they are going to quote you? If its not, ^^ this is still worth knowing so you can see when
a shop is steering you towards these brands there is some cross-promotions going on.

mudmobeeler
01-15-2016, 01:48 PM
I have zero experience with either one but after looking around on the internet, on this site, and watching the wayalife videos as well as others; I will without a doubt spend the money for Dynatrac.

Dave22
01-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Two things for me stand out on the Dynatrac axle over the G2 -

While the standard PR44 has the same axle tube thickness and diameter as the G2, for around $100 I can upgrade the PR44 to 1/2" tube thickness for extra strength and get extra caster built in.

While G2 offers a 10 year warranty on their axle, it only covers parts against manufacturing defects. Dynatrac offers a 1 year warranty, but it's unlimited mileage and no-fault. Did you just take your brand new axle offroading and break something? I bet G2 will tell you that's your fault, not a manufacturing defect. And honestly, in that first year most of us will really test that axle's limits out. I'd rather know that the company I bought it from will fix or replace something without trying to blame me. Of course the best warranty is the one you don't have to use and you've probably got 20+ people on this forum who can attest to their PR44.

If you go with G2 simply due to cost, keep that savings handy in case you break something. You may need it.

same axle dia and thickness, and better warranty...and cheaper... but buy a PR?

dont ever write argumentative essays LOL.

if you are going to commit that much coin (sizable investment you only want to do once in your words) just save a bit more and get 60s. staying with a small ring and pinion and carrier is not worth the cost for the aftermarket 44s of any brand and will allow you to get 40s in the future should you wish. bigger ball joints, huge Cs, bigger axles bigger lockouts or drive slugs...innumerable benefits

piginajeep
01-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Chinese shit or American made??

Ummmm

WJCO
01-15-2016, 02:11 PM

Ddays
01-15-2016, 02:25 PM

if you are going to commit that much coin (sizable investment you only want to do once in your words) just save a bit more and get 60s. staying with a small ring and pinion and carrier is not worth the cost for the aftermarket 44s of any brand and will allow you to get 40s in the future should you wish. bigger ball joints, huge Cs, bigger axles bigger lockouts or drive slugs...innumerable benefits

Absoultely and without hesitation yes buy the Dynatrac.
Not same axle thickness - the Unlimited version is thicker.
Go with the Dynatrac HD ball joints and they're the same in the 44 & 60.

Take a second and watch the videos of the Dynatracs being manufactured in house in California. Then compare them to the manufacturing process
of the other three....Oh, wait, there aren't any cuz they're made in China

BTW, what is your suggestion?

MedixJK
01-15-2016, 02:38 PM

No not same warranty. The Dynatrac is no-fault. Basically they are confident that you cant break it.

And thats like saying "why waste money on 60s, just go ahead and buy 80s..."

rinkishjk
01-15-2016, 03:05 PM
I would definitely go with the prorock. G2 uses an exclusive aluminum cover, among other things. And after seeing my friends pr in person, it's a no Brainer for me.

wayoflife
01-15-2016, 03:27 PM
I read the recent thread on the ProRock 44 with interest. Lots of knowledgeable input. I will be switching to 37s soon and want to prepare, so I'm looking to upgrade to a D44 front axle assembly for my 2015 JKU Sport. Is there more positive experience with the ProRock 44 than the G2 Core 44? One of the shops I have used swears by the G2 products. Both assemblies look pretty well set up in the catalogs, but of course trail experience is invaluable. Looking for your expert advice and experience as this is a sizeable investment I only want to do once! Thanks!

Well, as others have stated, you can go off the real world experience of others or, you can go off what a shop is trying to sell you.

13_gecko_rubi
01-15-2016, 03:36 PM

This is good advice if you plan to go 40s some day. If you plan to stay at 37s buying a 60 is pointless unless you like to give up ground clearance.

Another vote for the pr. I've beat the shit out of mine pr44 front / pr60 rear and never worried about it. I've had several of my friends break their brand x axles on the same trails with me. The "you spent too much comments" seem to always disappear at those times. Lol

Coop
01-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Well, as others have stated, you can go off the real world experience of others or, you can go off what a shop is trying to sell you.

That's why I'm here! You all have offered great arguments in favor of the ProRock! I think the D60 would be great, but I really want this sooner than later; guess my parents were right. Thank you all for keeping me on track!

Jeepnoub
01-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Someone posted a video the other day. That showed mel wade smack a rock, hard and kept going. I think it was in the evotj.

I don't see videos of a g2 doing the same thing. I tend to buy what's proven

JeepJeep75
01-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Ummmm

Perfectly stated!!

turbineguy
01-15-2016, 06:13 PM
I have a PR44 HD, have ran 37s on it, and am now running 38s. I'm not nice to it at all.

Then again, I don't know how much cheaper a Core 44 is, or what sort of wheeling you do.

If you think you are at all going to go hard, then I doubt the price savings is worth the piece of mind.

BLK HULK
01-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Running Currie Rockjock D60's done by G2 from 4 wheel parts. No issues!!!:clap2:

Just do some research and find the one that suits you best. Either way your getting an upgrade over stock. I know its a lot more money but if you ever wanna run a bigger tire the 60 might be a better option rather than doing it twice.

wayoflife
01-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Running Currie Rockjock D60's done by G2 from 4 wheel parts. No issues!!!:clap2:

Just do some research and find the one that suits you best. Either way your getting an upgrade over stock. I know its a lot more money but if you ever wanna run a bigger tire the 60 might be a better option rather than doing it twice.

In all fairness, I think it's important to note that you're from Canada. None of you guys run Dynatrac due to your government tacking on a significant cost on them.

wayoflife
01-15-2016, 08:36 PM
That's why I'm here! You all have offered great arguments in favor of the ProRock! I think the D60 would be great, but I really want this sooner than later; guess my parents were right. Thank you all for keeping me on track!

Honestly, unless you're planning on running 40's, there's really no need for a 60.

BLK HULK
01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
In all fairness, I think it's important to note that you're from Canada. None of you guys run Dynatrac due to your government tacking on a significant cost on them.

This is what I paid for my front, How much is the Dynatrac in comparison? I tried to look but no numbers online.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/JK-Rock-Jock-Dana-60-Front-Axle-Assembly-5-38-Ratio-35-Spline-Axles-With-ARB-Air-Locker.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=475&t_pt=7572&t_pn=G/2JKRJF538ARB

wayoflife
01-15-2016, 08:41 PM
This is what I paid for my front, How much is the Dynatrac in comparison? I tried to look but no numbers online.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/JK-Rock-Jock-Dana-60-Front-Axle-Assembly-5-38-Ratio-35-Spline-Axles-With-ARB-Air-Locker.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=475&t_pt=7572&t_pn=G/2JKRJF538ARB

Funny, I don't know if I said I cared. I just pointed out that none of you guys up in Canada run Dynatrac and because of how much your government tacks onto the cost. At least, that's what all the Canadians I know have told me and to this day, I don't know of a single Canadian with a Dynatrac. :idontknow:

BLK HULK
01-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Funny, I don't know if I said I cared. I just pointed out that none of you guys up in Canada run Dynatrac and because of how much your government tacks onto the cost. At least, that's what all the Canadians I know have told me and to this day, I don't know of a single Canadian with a Dynatrac. :idontknow:

You try way to hard to be rude to me.... mabe it's a Canadian thing.

wayoflife
01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

:cheesy: You try way "too" hard to get your panties in a bunch... I'd say "maybe" it's just a Canadian thing but I think really, it's just you. :yup:

MTG
01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

I didn't read the whole thread, and I'm sure I don't need to, in order to know it's probably more of a douche bag thing. :idontknow:

BLK HULK
01-15-2016, 08:52 PM
:cheesy: You try way "too" hard to get your panties in a bunch... I'd say "maybe" it's just a Canadian thing but I think really, it's just you. :yup:

Jeep Wave:standing wave:

MR.Ty
01-15-2016, 08:53 PM

jeeeep
01-15-2016, 09:39 PM

it's not a complete apples to apples comparison but because the parent company of 4wp has a Canadian presence (and store locations there) they are not subject to the higher import duty and taxes which can just about double the cost of a Dynatrac.

Goldeneagle1LC
01-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Isn't he the one that spent the extra money to truss his 60 just because it looks bad-ass?

metalic
01-15-2016, 10:11 PM

Ummmm

They claim the G2 core 44 housing is made in California.

I'm running the G2 with 35 spline ARB and Placer shafts. I priced Currie and Dynatrac also but opted for G2. Price played a big part buy mainly because the shop I bought it has built stock rubi 44's and done PR44 and I received the guinea pig pricing for the core 44. I like it and have had zero issues on 37s. Our JKU isn't a DD it's a play toy that gets beat on every chance we get but I know others beat there rigs harder than mine. I would recommend it to anyone but would also recommend a PR44 from every great thing I've read about them.

DemCoconuts
01-15-2016, 10:27 PM

It's true, uncommon to see Dynatrac up here. Seems like we can get the housings through 4WP for a fair price though. I'm starting to lean that way for the long term.

The Core 44 is really pushed here in Canada, yet you never hear anything about it.

Slavens
01-15-2016, 11:13 PM
With a wife and young kids I'm always budget minded and still just saved a little more and bought the PR44. It's so solid I have absolutely no worries when I push the limits and if there is breakage I'm secure in knowing Dynatrac has a fantastic warranty. Just my 2Cents

vitodivita
01-16-2016, 12:03 AM
I read an overwhelming amount of positive reviews on the pro rock 44. The only people that complained were concerned about the price and were folks who did junkyard 60 builds. Good for those people, but some people want a straight forward upgrade.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about the flimsy Dana 30 and now have an arb equipped pro rock 44 up front and 37's. The build quality is outstanding and if it's a matter of $1000 price gap or whatever it is, it's worth it and I'm sure one could sacrifice a light bar here and there to spend the money on the right things...

BLK HULK
01-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Isn't he the one that spent the extra money to truss his 60 just because it looks bad-ass?

They don't make a truss for the Rockjock 60.
But big white got some.

Jeep2010
01-16-2016, 10:15 AM
I have a G2 44 up front on my jk sport and I love it. I have a 5 year unlimited mile warranty to replace anything that breaks no questions asked with them. I had to pay 750 extra for it. I know some are loyal to brands but mine came down to price and hassle. I would say look at both and price both. I've heard of PR going for as low as 5500? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that) but I got quoted over 7k for it. With everything else I was doing I couldn't afford it at the time.

OverlanderJK
01-16-2016, 02:49 PM
I have a G2 44 up front on my jk sport and I love it. I have a 5 year unlimited mile warranty to replace anything that breaks no questions asked with them. I had to pay 750 extra for it. I know some are loyal to brands but mine came down to price and hassle. I would say look at both and price both. I've heard of PR going for as low as 5500? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that) but I got quoted over 7k for it. With everything else I was doing I couldn't afford it at the time.

$7000 for a PR44? You're high.

And you actually bought an axle that you had to pay extra for a warranty?? That really shows said company has faith in there product.

wayoflife
01-16-2016, 03:02 PM
I have a G2 44 up front on my jk sport and I love it.

That's cool that you "love" something that you chose to buy. I mean, it would totally suck to spend thousands of dollars on something that you didn't. But, saying that you "love" something you chose to buy is a far cry from the invaluable "trail experience" the OP was asking for or at least, in my opinion.

I have a 5 year unlimited mile warranty to replace anything that breaks no questions asked with them. I had to pay 750 extra for it.

Maybe it's just me but, the best warranty is the one you never have to use let alone have to pay for extra but again, that's just me.

I know some are loyal to brands but mine came down to price and hassle.

You'll forgive me but you don't need brand loyalty to want to buy something that's been proven to work and be the best time and time again. And, when you buy the best, it comes at a price. Everything else is just cheaper.

I would say look at both and price both. I've heard of PR going for as low as 5500? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that) but I got quoted over 7k for it. With everything else I was doing I couldn't afford it at the time.

To be fair, you also got quoted and sold on a $750 warranty on an axle that's "supposed" to be as good as a ProRock. Also, if I got quoted $7k for a ProRock, I would have looked for a different vendor to buy from but hey, that's just me.

turbineguy
01-16-2016, 03:12 PM

My PR44 HD was 5K with RCVs and ARB. A local shop built it, one that I trust, and I'm pretty sure they would've worn it in the autovent that anything did go wrong. Which it didn't.

If I knew that I was only ever going to run 35's, definitely would've considered one of the other axle manufactures though.

I find it surprising that you got quoted 7K for the ProRock. There are several online dealers that clearly list them at around 5K fully built ready to go.

To tell the truth, I might've paid 750 for an unlimited five-year warranty on anything that breaks. I really don't think that such a bad deal. Of course it would make me go even heavier on the skinny pedal than I do already.

metalic
01-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Like I said earlier I run a core 44. I priced PR44 from dynatrac, NR, ORE, and a local dynatrac dealer and they all was almost the same price and no where near 7k. If I remember correctly it was around 5. A G2 with ARB and the 35 spline places list for 4500. If that was the gap in no doubt would I have chose the G2 over the proven PR. But like I said I received guinea pig pricing for the Core 44 and decided to be the first in the area to test it out knowing it could be a disaster. I remember what Eddie said about how they looked upon first glance at SEMA.

turbineguy
01-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Like I said earlier I run a core 44. I priced PR44 from dynatrac, NR, ORE, and a local dynatrac dealer and they all was almost the same price and no where near 7k. If I remember correctly it was around 5. A G2 with ARB and the 35 spline places list for 4500. If that was the gap in no doubt would I have chose the G2 over the proven PR. But like I said I received guinea pig pricing for the Core 44 and decided to be the first in the area to test it out knowing it could be a disaster. I remember what Eddie said about how they looked upon first glance at SEMA.

It is nice there are options at all different price points though now, though at 4500 I just can't see the market for the core 44 or Teraflex axles vs the Dynatrac. I really think their market is relying on uninformed buyers (guys who go straight to 4wd without researching). At only 500 more a PR is a no duh option.

I would say that if the core 44 and TeraFlex axles could retail delivered in the 3500 range fully built, they would have a better market position. I'm guessing that's what you got yours for, so smart buy.

I really think that Mopar/Spicer was smart and going for the price range that they went for. Though I think they're going to compete much more with the RockJock axles then the Dynatrac ProRocks.

I also think it was smart of Dynatrac to come out with the XD60. It's definitely a step up from all the other 60s, and fills a gap in between going for the big guns like the 80s. Now, Dynatrac sits at the top of the heap on two separate levels.

There is nothing more American than the free-market and options. I really think it's a great time to be in the market to upgrade your jeep, so many more options than two or three years ago.

Edit: I totally left out the junkyard options, which I recently learned are a no-brainer since you can learn how to build them by watching youtube and reading JK forums. You just have to teach yourself how to weld, which is probably just a little harder than using superglue Im guessing.

metalic
01-16-2016, 04:08 PM
It is nice there are options at all different price points though now, though at 4500 I just can't see the market for the core 44 or Teraflex axles vs the Dynatrac. I really think their market is relying on uninformed buyers (guys who go straight to 4wd without researching). At only 500 more a PR is a no duh option.

I would say that if the core 44 and TeraFlex axles could retail delivered in the 3500 range fully built, they would have a better market position. I'm guessing that's what you got yours for, so smart buy.

I really think that Mopar/Spicer was smart and going for the price range that they went for. Though I think they're going to compete much more with the RockJock axles then the Dynatrac ProRocks.

I also think it was smart of Dynatrac to come out with the XD60. It's definitely a step up from all the other 60s, and fills a gap in between going for the big guns like the 80s. Now, Dynatrac sits at the top of the heap on two separate levels.

There is nothing more American than the free-market and options. I really think it's a great time to be in the market to upgrade your jeep, so many more options than two or three years ago.

Edit: I totally left out the junkyard options, which I recently learned are a no-brainer since you can learn how to build them by watching youtube and reading JK forums. You just have to teach yourself how to weld, which is probably just a little harder than using superglue Im guessing.

Exactly

As for the junk yard axles I agree if you have the known how go for it. I'm planning out my axle builds now to see if I'm going to make the jump or not to 8 lug.

Sudz
01-16-2016, 05:51 PM
some more info on the core 44

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12225-2013-SEMA-G2-CORE-44-Axles