Transmission Oil Change

chttrbx

I have a small Transmission oil leak from the gasket on the Transmission Pan, and the Transmission lines look rather nasty and oil covered. I will be doing this in the very near future, need to know how to ID correct Tranny Fluid? And whether anyone has replaced transmission lines and what type of tool is used for the clamped ends? I have considered just replacing the flex tubing and using a hose clamp as a last resort.

Also, I broke/sheared off 2/3 blots for main skid, which appear to be spot welded on inside the frame, if you had the same issue, how did you resolve?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a small Transmission oil leak from the gasket on the Transmission Pan, and the Transmission lines look rather nasty and oil covered. I will be doing this in the very near future, need to know how to ID correct Tranny Fluid? And whether anyone has replaced transmission lines and what type of tool is used for the clamped ends? I have considered just replacing the flex tubing and using a hose clamp as a last resort.

Also, I broke/sheared off 2/3 blots for main skid, which appear to be spot welded on inside the frame, if you had the same issue, how did you resolve?

I haven't done them myself, but if they're like any other crimped hoses, the rubber and metal portion will all come as an assy. You COULD find a shop that rebuilds hydraulic hoses, but for trans cooler lines, it may not be worth the money as opposed to just buying them. As far as loosening the nuts on the end, just use normal line wrenches. Dealer will tell you what kind of fluid you should use. I wouldn't use the hose clamp method myself, people do it, but I wouldn't unless a line blew on the trail and needed the clamps for an emergency repair.

Can't help you on the skid plate, sorry, haven't dealt with that.

JeepFan

Hooked
Your JK auto trans 42RLE usses ATF+4. Note: You can find this info in your owners manual. :yup:

I have never replaced factory trans cooler lines on a JK but, the connector you're referring to is called a Jiffy-Tite fitting. I think you can find the tool at most auto parts stores.

jeeeep

Hooked
there's a TSB out for the leaking transmission cooling lines, I had mine replaces about 2 years ago and it's leaking again. I think I'm going to cut off the crimp, replace the hoses and use hose clamps, I've seen other's go this route and they haven't had any issues.

you can't buy just the hose/crimped section, you have to buy the whole line assembly for about $90/line

chttrbx

I haven't done them myself, but if they're like any other crimped hoses, the rubber and metal portion will all come as an assy. You COULD find a shop that rebuilds hydraulic hoses, but for trans cooler lines, it may not be worth the money as opposed to just buying them. As far as loosening the nuts on the end, just use normal line wrenches. Dealer will tell you what kind of fluid you should use. I wouldn't use the hose clamp method myself, people do it, but I wouldn't unless a line blew on the trail and needed the clamps for an emergency repair.

Can't help you on the skid plate, sorry, haven't dealt with that.

Actually have the complete assembly, purchased from Summit Racing near me. I may look into Jiffy-Tite hoses and see if I can just replace the flex sections......

Top Bottom