EVO sliders and water

JeepJeep75

I'm eventually going to install EVO Sliders on my JKUR. I will order mine raw and paint them myself. My only concern is the boxed ends of the sliders. Looking at them it looks like water can enter the boxed end area through the EVO cutout in the ends. Those of you that have these sliders, do they hold water in the ends? And if they do, how do you prevent them from rusting since its raw steel on the inside right behind the logo cut-outs? Thanks guys!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I haven't had mine in water yet. But in washing the jeep it does seem like most of the water runs back out. I'm sure some hangs up but think most runs back out.

Drunic

I installed these a few months ago, I'm interested as well as it is snow and slush right now and Michigan salts. Wondering how bad it will be come spring, may drill a drain hole

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm eventually going to install EVO Sliders on my JKUR. I will order mine raw and paint them myself. My only concern is the boxed ends of the sliders. Looking at them it looks like water can enter the boxed end area through the EVO cutout in the ends. Those of you that have these sliders, do they hold water in the ends? And if they do, how do you prevent them from rusting since its raw steel on the inside right behind the logo cut-outs? Thanks guys!

this comes with a flexible hose to get inside of spaces to rustproof the interior of metal parts, I've used it in the past and seems to work well.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle-qt.html

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Water will get in them. What you can do to prevent it is grab a can of that insulating spray foam stuff and spray it in then just paint the foam black so you don't notice it.

JeepJeep75

Thank you guys. I'm gonna use all three of your ideas. The inner frame coating, the drain hole, and the foam painted black.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
For what it's worth, I have not had an issue with water staying in my EVO sliders. It rains here all the damn time and for days at a time. During the whole state of emergency flooding crap we had here a few months ago, I was driving around in water half way up the doors. I pressure was my rig regularly in addition to washing it once a week. While water can and does get it, it evaporates pretty quickly. Even in colder weather like we are having now (20s and 30s), what little water gets in dries out very quickly. I have had them on for over a year now and there is zero signs of rust. I too thought about drilling a small hole at the bottom of each boxed end, but have had no reason to. That has been my experience anyways.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
The evo logo pretty much acts like a drain. The letters are in the right spot on mine

BlackHawk08jk

I've had mine in the water and mud a lot. The water just runs out. If you take it in lots of mud just be sure to wash them out. But I have had no trouble with mine

Bananaspider886

Don't use that (great stuff) foam in a red can it will not keep water out it'll soak through eventually. My buddy used it in a boat build and it got water logged he had to take it all back out and get some 2 part foam. Just giving a heads up wouldn't want it to trap moisture in there to cause rust

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The evo logo pretty much acts like a drain. The letters are in the right spot on mine

Yup, that's what I was going to say. In fact, to get mud out of the area, I purposefully shot water right into the letters with a hose :yup:

JeepJeep75

Great info guys. Maybe I'll skip the foam then and just let them be. Ever since I first saw the EVO slider I've always wondered about the water getting in through the logo but I have yet to see anyone complain about it rusting on the inside. Thanks again for all of your input guys. [emoji106]

JAGS

Hooked
I'd stay away from the foam. If it ever starts to deteriorate inside, will be a pain solving that issue.

Top Bottom