Lightweight rear tire carrier opinions? (Under Cover Fabworks?)

DGP

So its finally time to bite the bullet and drop down on a rear bumper with tire carrier. I really like the design which allows the tailgate to be open along with the tire carrier but it seems they all weight a ton.
I was planning on a Ace Engineering until I found the Aluminum Under cover Fabworks bumper. They say its under 100lbs! Im sure there are some good threads on this topic but Im hoping someone has used this brand and has some input.
Im willing to look at other brands as well, but I need it to hold a 37", be light as possible, and open with one hand.

Any thought?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure if your looking for a full width bumper or are open to other options. The EVO rear facia with D rings is pretty damn light and cheaper than most. Pair it with a GenRight Aluminum tire carrier and you'll probably have a combo lighter than most bumpers.

DGP

I'm not sure if your looking for a full width bumper or are open to other options. The EVO rear facia with D rings is pretty damn light and cheaper than most. Pair it with a GenRight Aluminum tire carrier and you'll probably have a combo lighter than most bumpers.

I will need some clearance for my tires so I'm not to concerned about having a full width. Im more concerned with function and weight. Ill check those out. Do you have the Genright tailgate hinge?

DGP

The Genright looks like a nice tire carrier but i want one that opens with the door. Don't like the idea of having to remove pins, swing the tire out of the way and then open the tailgate.

dodgerob2

Have you looked at Crawler Conceptz hinge mount carrier. may be an option. Then toss the bumper and get the Evo D-ring mounts.

Jackal01

What about the Bestop Highrock tire carrier? It takes the place of the factory one and can hold a 37" tire/200lbs. It worked well when I used it (I have it for sale here, upgraded to the PSC Body Mount carrier).

Tango_Down

Check out the Teraflex HD Spare Tire carrier replacement hinge and mount. Super clean set up, reinforcing, and holds up to a 37" tire.

Tango_Down

I realize it not integrated with the bumper but a good option if someone wants the flexibility of the gate opening with the spare. May not be great if you're concerned with impacts coming down on something. Just putting it out there...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Genright looks like a nice tire carrier but i want one that opens with the door. Don't like the idea of having to remove pins, swing the tire out of the way and then open the tailgate.

Have you given the AEV swing out tire carrier a look? If not, it's what I'd recommend for your needs. You DO NOT have to run it with their bumper or any bumper at all for that matter.

Tango_Down

It's all good guys! Clearly those of you with much more experience disagree and that's ok. What are some of the issues that I need to be aware of? I installed the TF on my rig based on some research and talking with others. Mistake???

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's all good guys! Clearly those of you with much more experience disagree and that's ok. What are some of the issues that I need to be aware of? I installed the TF on my rig based on some research and talking with others. Mistake???

Yes mistake. Clearly your research wasn't that good. Do a search for teraflex tire carrier break here. Probably 50+ page thread with breaks.

Even a small chance of a carrier breaking and losing a spare is dangerous as hell. Possibly deadly. The TF carrier has a history of breaking. Read the thread the guys posted and youll see.

Top Bottom