Finally made it out here to Afghanistan

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Finally made it out here to FOB Salerno in BFE Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border. Was supposed to leave back in September but OPM wanted to renew my clearance so it didn't expire while I was out here. Which turned out GREAT since during that delay I was able to be home for the birth of my first baby, a girl, and spend 5 weeks with my new bundle of joy before heading out. Ready to finally turn some wrenches on these Black Hawks! Good news is the company just renewed their contract until 2015, so I'll be here until at least Dec 2013, with some vacation time thrown in there at a few points along the way. Seems like the wifi here on base is pretty good, so I'll still be on here!

JAGS

Hooked
Finally made it out here to FOB Salerno in BFE Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border. Was supposed to leave back in September but OPM wanted to renew my clearance so it didn't expire while I was out here. Which turned out GREAT since during that delay I was able to be home for the birth of my first baby, a girl, and spend 5 weeks with my new bundle of joy before heading out. Ready to finally turn some wrenches on these Black Hawks! Good news is the company just renewed their contract until 2015, so I'll be here until at least Dec 2013, with some vacation time thrown in there at a few points along the way. Seems like the wifi here on base is pretty good, so I'll still be on here!

You are the man HighOctane. Keep those chops airborne and know we all appreciate the service you are doing. :clap2: Especially awesome you were able to be there for the birth of your child. A real special moment you'll never forget. My twins are 8 1/2 and it seems like yesterday I was bringing them home. Again, thank you.

GCM 2

I have spent many months on Salerno. Glad you weren't there a few months ago for the big attack that breached the perimeter wall. My unit still has one of its compounds there. We would actually be right across the street from where the clamshells for helo maintenance are.
Hope your living conditions are good! Get used to the 107mm rocket attacks, you will learn to sleep thru them ;)

G

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Thanks everyone. It's good to be back to work.

I have spent many months on Salerno. Glad you weren't there a few months ago for the big attack that breached the perimeter wall. My unit still has one of its compounds there. We would actually be right across the street from where the clamshells for helo maintenance are.
Hope your living conditions are good! Get used to the 107mm rocket attacks, you will learn to sleep thru them ;)

G

If you ever make it out here give me a hollar. I was reading about that attack on Wikipedia when I looked up info for the base. Pretty nasty stuff. With the IDF attacks, this place is reminding me of my days in Al Taquaddam, Iraq during the Fallugah takeover days.

Top Bottom