Spring Compressor - Binding Bushings?

I asked this question in my build thread but didn't get any responses, so trying again with a new topic. My front end has sagged a bit after installing a 3" spring lift a couple of years ago and having a winch on the front bumper for the past several years. I picked up some 1/2" spacers to correct it and I'm curious if I can take the lazy way out and rent a spring compressor and slip in the spacers without having to unbolt everything. Anyone think the bushings in the control arms will bind with that small of a change?

cmireles

Pretty sure you can. My grandpa and I did this back when I had a Cherokee but we still let the front end droop on the hoist. Those compressors can be dangerous though so be careful.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I see no point in taking the risk with spring compressors. You are going to have to loosen all of the suspension bolts anyway to "resettle" everything and re-torque.

Zstairlessone

X2 on what Sharkey said ^^, otherwise you are going to be chasing issues. It just isn't that difficult or time consuming not to do it right.

Okay, thanks for the input! Thought it might be an easy out, but if I need to loosen and re-torque anyway then there is no need.

Dopey84

I used a spring compressor and yes it helped to a point but also got in the way. And that was just with the eve leveling kit... I'd say save ur time and skip the compressor

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have used compressors many times for many different things, and dont see the point in using them for a jeep suspension. I mean it may "help" but I feel the bump stops and extensions will be in the way unless you are compressing the spring so small it would seem dangerous to do.

Top Bottom