Rancho 9000 shock problem???

StickFish

I know Rancho is on her so hopefully they will respond too.

I am having a problem with my rear 9000 shocks that are about a year old and I am interested to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Last year when I sold my TJ and picked up my JKU I added an AEV 2.5 lift and did not like the bilstein shocks that came with it, so one week later I switched to a set of Rancho 9000s. The shocks have been great, up until last weekend.

Last weekend I switched out the lift for the Enforcer 3" and am really happy with the ride, however my rear Rancho's are making noise due to the metal sleeve in the bushing being ovaled out and now moves up and down on the bolt making a clunking noise.

I am interested to see if others have had this happen with their Rancho's or have an idea on what might have caused it? It was not doing this until I switched the lifts, but must have been wearing while the AEV lift was on.

I have not had this happen in the past with other lifted Jeeps and the JK only has a total of 7000 miles on it in a year and a half of ownership (not my daily driver). Rancho's have only been on for about 5000 miles.

Thoughts?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
my first thought is that your bolts were not torqued properly so overtime the bolt had to much play in the bushing/sleeve which caused it to wallow out.

Yea, it kinda sounds like there was some play somewhere. They shouldnt be able to oval out like that. Got a pic?

StickFish

Thanks. I was thinking something like that could have happened, but was shocked (ha ha) that it was not making any noise until I pulled the bottom shock bold to drop the new EVO springs in there. So if the shock bolt loosened up a little (was still quite tight when I pulled it, but I have not checked them in about 6 months) you think the shock rocked back and forth to open up the hole in the bushing sleeve? I could understand that. (It also only happened on one side)

Is that sleeve replaceable or do I just need to get a new shock? I have never seen just a sleeve for shocks, but worth asking before ordering a new set of shocks for the back.

I can grab a pic for others reference, but will not be today.

Thanks again for helping confirm the issue?

Last edited:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
This right here. Call our Tech Line and they MIGHT be able to get new sleeves to you. 734-384-7804.
The way the lower mount works is that is like a clamp on the shock mount. This is why sometimes from the factory the lower shock can be tough to get out or when installing an aftermarket shock people will say the shock is made "wrong", just need to expand that lower mount.
:beer:

my first thought is that your bolts were not torqued properly so overtime the bolt had to much play in the bushing/sleeve which caused it to wallow out.

StickFish

This right here. Call our Tech Line and they MIGHT be able to get new sleeves to you. 734-384-7804.
The way the lower mount works is that is like a clamp on the shock mount. This is why sometimes from the factory the lower shock can be tough to get out or when installing an aftermarket shock people will say the shock is made "wrong", just need to expand that lower mount.

Thanks I ended up just getting two new replacements for the rear. Problem solved[emoji2]

gary2

Did the switch from the 5100's to the 9000XL's give you a softer ride ? I too have the AEV 2.5" and have been giving some serious thought to the 9000's to soften it up on the road.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
It will 100% guaranteed at lower settings. :)
At a 7-8 a similar firmness.

Did the switch from the 5100's to the 9000XL's give you a softer ride ? I too have the AEV 2.5" and have been giving some serious thought to the 9000's to soften it up on the road.

Last edited:

gary2

I have had the 9000xl's on a TJ and my pick up but was wondering how he felt being he has the same AEV suspension with their so called matched Bilsteins . I am sorry I went AEV to begin with but.... I should of stuck to my TJ experience and bought each component from whom I want . Typical 20/20 hindsight. I just need to decide on the shock length . I ended up with about 3.25" lift . Its a 2dr and staying light.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Look to
RS999329
RS999330
This is what we use on our 3" systems and our 4 "short" systems

Rebate time too!
http://www.gorancho.com/promotions/

I have had the 9000xl's on a TJ and my pick up but was wondering how he felt being he has the same AEV suspension with their so called matched Bilsteins . I am sorry I went AEV to begin with but.... I should of stuck to my TJ experience and bought each component from whom I want . Typical 20/20 hindsight. I just need to decide on the shock length . I ended up with about 3.25" lift . Its a 2dr and staying light.

StickFish

Yes it did! But the largest change was when I went to Evo springs. I run my 9000's on 4 front/3 rear. (With both aev and evo springs)

gary2

Yes it did! But the largest change was when I went to Evo springs. I run my 9000's on 4 front/3 rear. (With both aev and evo springs)

I just ordered the 3" plush ride rear coils . Did you notice any difference in the height after switching from the AEV to the EVO springs ? Sorry for getting slightly off topic .

StickFish

I just ordered the 3" plush ride rear coils . Did you notice any difference in the height after switching from the AEV to the EVO springs ? Sorry for getting slightly off topic .

Yes where there was still a little bit of the stock rake with the AEV springs the EVO's sit level for me. Now I dont have my winch mounted up front yet, but when I get it on I will guess it will dip a little, but nothing a small spacer can't take care of.

gary2

OK good, I also ordered one of the spring wedge's being I have my pinion turned up . I would think that should add a little height so I should end up close to where I am at now height wise . :beer:

gary2

Stickfish , what would you say is the difference in height of the rear compared to the AEV springs ? I understand the rake end of it but I am also curious about the actual difference in height of the rear if any .

Top Bottom